PDA

View Full Version : Hello Old Friend

rsa-otc
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I thought I'd share an experience that brought a smile to my face this past weekend.

My Daughter is 23 and has been shooting since she was around 6 or 7, neither of us can pin down exactly when. A couple of years in she moved from .22 rifles and started shooting DA revolver in 38 spl and about 10 started shooting my S&W 645 .45 acp. From about 15 on she has pretty much solely shot my 45 autos with a smattering of other peoples 9mms over the years. Which brings me to the present.

At our range session earlier this month she said she thought she wanted to try shooting revolvers again, so this weekend I brought an extra Mdl 13 from the company inventory and let her have at it. She usually shows up towards the end of our twice monthly company training sessions and she and I stay late sharing some quality father daughter range time. This weekend she shows up a tad earlier and I am about to run a couple of my better employees though a new 60 round Q course I'm experimenting with. So I tell her grab the revolver and line up with my employees. Now this new course is no bushel basket full value to any hit type of course. It involves a 6" circle at the heart location and a 4" circle for head shots for full value 5 point hits, 4 points for shots within the 10" chest circle but outside the full value circle and only 3 points for any other hit within the FBI Q type coke bottle area. It also includes strong hand and weak hand strings as well as stop failure drills. Low and behold out of the box she scores a 289 out of 300.

After the other two shooters leave we go on and start our father/daughter time shooting a 50 round exercise that features a lot of draws to single and multiple shots as well as 1R2's. After shooting 150 rounds of DAO revolver I asked her if she wanted to shoot her usual 45. She got this dreamy look on her face and said she wanted to finish the day out with the revolver. Later that day she told her mother that is was like "reacquainting" herself with an "Old Friend". She is now talking about shooting SSR at next months IDPA match. :cool:

RoyGBiv
08-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Warms the heart, doesn't it?

Thanks for sharing. And congrats...

Clyde from Carolina
08-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Warms the heart, doesn't it?

Thanks for sharing. And congrats...

+1. Made my day! Doesn't get much better than.

FotoTomas
08-21-2013, 08:38 PM
No truer statement can be made...an old friend.

ffhounddog
08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Awsome. Still miss my grandfathers Smith and Wesson I think it was a Model 10. Great Story and great daughter. You raised her well.

David Armstrong
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Many if not most folks would be armed just fine with a revolver instead of an autoloader. Glad to hear your daughter got reacquainted with her friend.

rsa-otc
08-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Great Story and great daughter. You raised her well.

Thanks Everyone; we are quite proud of both our kids.