PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a Mossberg MVP?

Jay Cunningham
08-19-2013, 10:23 AM
http://www.mossberg.com/assets/scripts/timthumb.php?w=625&zc=0&src=http://www.mossberg.com/sites/default/files/1359667414/27716_MVPP_5.56_A2_Sights.png

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol/27716

5.56x45mm bolt gun that takes AR magazines. Any experience with them?

John Ralston
08-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I'll be interested in replies as well. They have a "Patrol" version out now with flash suppressor.

Jay Cunningham
08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Ya, that's the one pictured. Can't find that one available anywhere currently.

Josh Runkle
08-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Yep. Mine is very fun. I bought the 18" threaded variant. I run a 1.5-4 leupold on it, put a KAC FH on it, and a bipod. The rail was purchased from Evolution Gun Works and arrived swiftly and has what appears to be a perfect fit. I have very few rounds through it, and have only shot it suppressed with an SWR Renegade. It is extremely quiet suppressed; much quieter than a suppressed AR. Because of the weight with accessories, it has almost no felt recoil.

In a rare move for a bolt gun, I chose to do a 50m zero, to keep everything in line with how I shoot my ARs. It held a little less than 1 MOA (about half inch groups of 20 rounds at 50m). Standing, I am able to do the same at 50m. It is simply because of the weight of the gun, probably.

The bolt can be forceful to work, in my experience. The bolt seems to force rounds downward against the forward lip of any magazine, which isn't enough force to do any damage to the round or magazine, but is enough to slow the operation cycle. The trigger, on the other hand, is awesome for a cheap gun. I do often have to remind myself that it is only like a $400 gun before another $500 of accessories. For a $400 gun, it is extremely well made, functions very well, and has few drawbacks.

I originally purchased mine with the intent to put some rounds downrange on Saturdays, using ammo and mags that I had laying around. I think it would a a great ammo conservation gun during a zombie apocalypse (if you care about such things), but quiet honestly, the novelty wore off after I shot it. It is a great gun and a great idea, but, do I really need it? I didn't buy it to collect it, I bought it to shoot it, and I don't seem to be shooting it much. It functions with boring regularity. It is literally exactly what it is advertised to be.

jlw
08-19-2013, 11:20 AM
The boss has one of the non-patrol versions. If is a fun little rifle. There is a .300blk version coming out at some point.

The 5.56 version has a 1:9 twist. I would prefer a 1:7.

Josh Runkle
08-19-2013, 11:31 AM
I agree about twist rate. Dunno why they still think everyone who wants a threaded gun is also an idiot about ammo selection and twist rate.

steve
08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree about twist rate. Dunno why they still think everyone who wants a threaded gun is also an idiot about ammo selection and twist rate.

Most who purchase this will use 55 grain off the shelf ammo from walmart or such. The 1/9 probably fits the market better.

Josh Runkle
08-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Most who purchase this will use 55 grain off the shelf ammo from walmart or such. The 1/9 probably fits the market better.

That's quite obviously why they decided that. My point is, when a knowledgeable crowd asks for a different variant, they shouldn't assume that the knowledgeable crowd are all idiots when it comes to shooting.

JHC
08-19-2013, 05:27 PM

True enough. But with the large number of superb defense or hunting loads in the 50-64 grain range, and all the training ammo in 55, and the odd match grade 68 gr - I don't think someone loses much with 1:9 anymore.

5pins
08-20-2013, 05:45 PM
True enough. But with the large number of superb defense or hunting loads in the 50-64 grain range, and all the training ammo in 55, and the odd match grade 68 gr - I don't think someone loses much with 1:9 anymore.

But you lose even less with the 1/7.