PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged CNN (h/t to Gun Nuts)

ToddG
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Too good not to share:

Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/how-much-can-cnn-get-wrong-about-f1-engines-physics-in-1111423405) quotes CNN: While a standard engine is powered by a belt connected to the crankshaft, a turbo engine runs on its own exhaust steam, making it more energy efficient.

I was recently thinking about getting a 335i X-drive but with twin turbos I'm scared the steam might shrink my clothes while I drive. Though I imagine it's far more environmentally friendly than the carbon dioxide those belt-powered crankshaft motors produce.

JDM
08-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Embarrassing.

Do mainstream news outlets do anything right?

ToddG
08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Do mainstream news outlets do anything right?

Orchestrate national elections?

Tamara
08-14-2013, 09:11 AM
It is easy to forget that a majority of people think the switch on the wall summons the light demons. People in general have no more clue about what makes the devices around them function than does a Kalahari bushman.

I mean, ask someone what the accelerator pedal does, and they'll answer "Makes the car go faster." Then ask "Yes, but how?"

ToddG
08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I mean, ask someone what the accelerator pedal does, and they'll answer "Makes the car go faster." Then ask "Yes, but how?"

That's essentially the extent of my knowledge right there, too. But I won't write an article for CNN about it and then inject imagined facts into it to increase word count.

Tamara
08-14-2013, 09:32 AM
That's essentially the extent of my knowledge right there, too. But I won't write an article for CNN about it and then inject imagined facts into it to increase word count.

But... but... you have a degree! ;)

(Surely you have encountered the syndrome. Even worse than journalisticosis is doctoritis.)

I can see how a quickie explanation over drinks with a STEM friend resulted in the mangled explanation the now-expert journo major bestowed on us proles.

Nephrology
08-14-2013, 09:43 AM

(Surely you have encountered the syndrome. Even worse than journalisticosis is doctoritis.)

I can see how a quickie explanation over drinks with a STEM friend resulted in the mangled explanation the now-expert journo major bestowed on us proles.

You have no idea how often at conferences and presentations I see people (with PhDs and MDs or sometimes both, mind you) ask questions that were either 1. already answered in the presentation or 2. essentially expository statements designed to impress other people in the room with how much unrelated crap they know.

LOKNLOD
08-14-2013, 09:47 AM
It is easy to forget that a majority of people think the switch on the wall summons the light demons. People in general have no more clue about what makes the devices around them function than does a Kalahari bushman.

Was it Arthur C Clarke "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"? Because for the many (most?) folks, even in our technologically gifted age, that threshold is only slightly above small kitchen appliances. Toaster? Sure: wires hot, burn food. Microwave? Bah! Don't open the door while it's running or the heat fairies will escape and burn your face!

Orchestrate national elections?

Bazinga.

(Animated .gif fail)

joshs
08-14-2013, 10:21 AM
That's essentially the extent of my knowledge right there, too.

James May has a sad.

Chuck Haggard
08-14-2013, 10:30 AM
For some reason when I read Todd's post I thought of this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5cL-h3Pj1o

5pins
08-14-2013, 10:37 AM

That’s easy; my foot pushes down on it.:rolleyes:

RoyGBiv
08-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Bazinga.

(Animated .gif fail)
I've got your back. (had the same reaction myself)

http://semvida.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/bazinga.gif

TCinVA
08-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Too good not to share:

Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/how-much-can-cnn-get-wrong-about-f1-engines-physics-in-1111423405) quotes CNN: While a standard engine is powered by a belt connected to the crankshaft, a turbo engine runs on its own exhaust steam, making it more energy efficient.

I was recently thinking about getting a 335i X-drive but with twin turbos I'm scared the steam might shrink my clothes while I drive. Though I imagine it's far more environmentally friendly than the carbon dioxide those belt-powered crankshaft motors produce.

Exhaust gasses, steam....

[Hillary Clinton] What difference, at this point, does it make? [/Hillary Clinton]

Bigguy
08-14-2013, 01:46 PM

This cartoon was on the bulletin board in our news room for years.

http://erinlyyc.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/today-i-am-an-expert-in.jpg

BaiHu
08-14-2013, 02:23 PM
My favorite line: "I think CNN must be hiring Amish kids on Rumspringa for its motorsports writers. That's really the only way you could explain the rich, lavish ignorance of how cars work as demonstrated in this article about turbo engines returning to F1."

Drang
08-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Bets on how long before Clarkson brings this up?

fixer
08-19-2013, 06:23 AM
You have no idea how often at conferences and presentations I see people (with PhDs and MDs or sometimes both, mind you) ask questions that were either 1. already answered in the presentation or 2. essentially expository statements designed to impress other people in the room with how much unrelated crap they know.

No joking: this is how most people get promoted in the company I work for.

hufnagel
08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ElCPi.gif

hufnagel
08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Bets on how long before Clarkson brings this up?

S21E03

that's my prediction.

Cookie Monster
08-19-2013, 08:51 AM

I see this anytime I go to a conference or a university. It is insane.

Cookie Monster

ToddG
08-19-2013, 08:57 AM
It happens at gun school, too.

ford.304
08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I see this anytime I go to a conference or a university. It is insane.

I used to be guilty of this all the time before I realized how bad I sounded. I promise that *in my head*, I was just doing it because I thought other people might want to hear about something I thought was interesting.