PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Glock, Wow in a good way

saints75
08-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Long story short, I was able to get a hold of a Gen 4 Glock at work. I was told if I wanted to start using it I could, I just need to qualify with it. I took it to the range to day and was able to practice with it. I used all three back straps. I like the large one. It feels good in my hand. I shoot really good with the small one. I am not kidding when I say it was almost like cheating with the small back strap. I was hitting center mass every time. I was impressed. I need to shoot it a few more times before I qualify with it. I was impressed with the small back strap. Does anyone have this issue with the Gen 4 Glock? I can tell I am going to like the small size grip :)

JBP55
08-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Long story short, I was able to get a hold of a Gen 4 Glock at work. I was told if I wanted to start using it I could, I just need to qualify with it. I took it to the range to day and was able to practice with it. I used all three back straps. I like the large one. It feels good in my hand. I shoot really good with the small one. I am not kidding when I say it was almost like cheating with the small back strap. I was hitting center mass every time. I was impressed. I need to shoot it a few more times before I qualify with it. I was impressed with the small back strap. Does anyone have this issue with the Gen 4 Glock? I can tell I am going to like the small size grip :)

I have small hands and I never use the medium or large back straps on any of my Gen 4 Glocks..

ST911
08-13-2013, 08:55 PM
I have large hands, but run my gen4s without any insert. Looking at holsters around, it is the most popular configuration.

WDW
08-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I use the medium beavertail backstrap on my 23's. I'm able to get more leverage & mitigate recoil a tad.

RBid
08-14-2013, 01:53 AM
I have a pre-beaver tail 19 Gen 4 that I carry every day. That has the medium backstrap on it. My 23 Gen 4 is brand new, and has the medium beaver tail backstrap on it. I prefer the beaver tail. It's perfect. I used to have a 23 Gen 3. The Gen 4 version with the beaver tail blows it away.

JAD
08-14-2013, 05:45 AM
I have small hands and I never use the medium or large back straps on any of my Gen 4 Glocks..

I also have small hands -- somewhere between a medium and small glove size -- and could not shoot a GLOCK effectively until the Gen 4 came out.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-14-2013, 07:28 AM
I do not have any experience with the Gen 4 Glocks, but I am curious about the back strap system.

I carry a P30L with a large back strap and small side panels. Would that equate to in the Gen 4 Glock world?

Little Creek
08-15-2013, 06:28 AM
I did not care for Glock pistols until the Gen 4 and SF frames came out. I now have the following Gen 4 pistols, all of which I use out of the box with no additional backstrap: G17, G19, G26, and G22. I also have a G20SF. I wear size large or XL gloves. I consider my hands to be size medium.

JHC
08-15-2013, 07:54 AM
At the NFL combine they measure QBs hand span from the thumb tip to pinkie tip - hand outstretched. Tebow was one of the larger there with 10.5".

Mine tapes 9 which is fairly long but not large boned or thick. And I learned using CoC Trainer that I don't have an exceptionally strong grip. I like the feel of the large and at times I was sure I could measure a slight advantage (timer and targets) with what I thought was better leverage. I do get some slide bite using the large which seem to shift my grip higher. But over the last year I've done more with no backstrap attached and I'm not sure I can really measure any difference after all. Probably just what one gets used to.

G-Man Bart (a pretty high level USPSA shooter) on another forum described a device to measure where hands generate their most gripping power. Fingers too far out - no, or squeezed too close to the palm - no. In between just right. It's interesting bio-mechanics. I haven't figured it out yet for sure.

Chuck Whitlock
08-15-2013, 04:11 PM
I also have small hands -- somewhere between a medium and small glove size -- and could not shoot a GLOCK effectively until the Gen 4 came out.

I'm able to run a Gen3 (I thought), but adding a GFA completely negated my ability to hit the trigger safety.
So that has me thinking that I'm on the ragged edge of running the thing.

I have a 23 and 27.....been debating trading them in on Gen4's vs. having grip reductions.

JAD
08-15-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm able to run a Gen3 (I thought), .

Gen 2s were good enough to get me through 250. When I dry fire a gen 2-3 I get a little twitch in the front sight about half the time. That winds up putting shots about 6" left at 25y when I go really slow -- again, half the time -- and 1" left at 4 yards whether going fast or slow. Maddening. Slim grips on a 1911 fixed it. The Gen4 fixes it.

GJM
08-15-2013, 11:53 PM
I way prefer the size and texture of a Gen 4 17, but shoot a Gen 3 17 better on demanding stuff. I believe it is because the Gen 3 trigger has less travel between take up and the shot breaking than the Gen 4. Robert Vogel and OrigamiAK have both told me they prefer the Gen 3 for the same reason -- the difference in trigger characteristics between the Gen 3 and 4.

My wife, who is 5-7, 120, with proportionately sized hands, also prefers the Gen 3 to the 4, because of the trigger.

JV_
08-16-2013, 06:37 AM
I also prefer the triggers on Gen3 guns, but it's outweighed by the smaller grip, texture, and mag release on the Gen4.

I just suck it up and drive on with a Gen4.

Sparks2112
08-16-2013, 07:40 AM
I also prefer the triggers on Gen3 guns, but it's outweighed by the smaller grip, texture, and mag release on the Gen4.

I just suck it up and drive on with a Gen4.

I can't shoot either of them very well. So, I don't. ;) I preferred/prefer the gen4 though. Mainly because of my short stubby thumbs ability to actually hit the stock mag release.