PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Class thoughts

Dagga Boy
08-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Based on input from the shotgun class thread, it sounds like there is a lot of interest in doing either a "Revolver Class" or a "Retro wheel gun and pump shotgun" combo. We are going to try to schedule one in Dallas. The thought on our (HiTS) end is to do a straight up two day revolver class that will cover the back up/small size guns, the mid size defensive revolvers and the duty size guns, and then try to organize a "shotgun summit" somewhere (Tom...hint) with multiple instructors and their individual takes on the system. Or........would a Revolver summit be more in line with what folks are looking for? We have gotten a lot of interest in the revolver and shotgun stuff lately that I think is a response to restrictive gun control measures being proposed in many parts of the country, combined with more beginners wanting guns in the rest of the country due to fears of possible civil instability. A couple day revolver class, or symposium type event would be a good means for not only end users to get training, but for those who are instructors to either revisit the revolver, or knock the rust off the skills that many of us depended on back in ancient times....;). Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

GJM
08-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Unless it is purely a review for experienced folks, I think you would need at least two days to do justice to either the revolver or pump shotgun. A side benefit of two days of DA revolver shooting is afterwards most everyone seems to shoot a semi-auto better.

SeriousStudent
08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm in.

As a small and lowly peanut, I'd be very happy to get more instruction on the small wheelguns. Like a lot of folks, I seem to carry a J-frame a lot here in the summer. But it's also the toughest thing for me to shoot effectively. And since you've seen me shoot other weapons, you know I must really suck with a 642. ;)

I've wanted to get more training on them, but it's a rare thing to see offered.

I'd love to attend a shotgun summit next year as well. I had a great time at the shotgun class you and Wayne did, and would appreciate reinforcement on that again.

JAD
08-13-2013, 04:55 AM
I'd be interested in either, and might scare up a buddy or two. My control over my time blows, though, so I can't be relied on. I would prefer a narrow-scope revolver class to be separate from a pump gun summit. Both are cool ideas.

jlw
08-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm interested depending upon the date.

Dagga Boy
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Thinking Mid Octoberish at this point. Should be good weather in Dallas. I think we will go with a straight up two day Revolver class with some time devoted to both primary guns, and the small back ups.

jlw
08-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Thinking Mid Octoberish at this point. Should be good weather in Dallas. I think we will go with a straight up two day Revolver class with some time devoted to both primary guns, and the small back ups.

Your PM inbox is full.

David Armstrong
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
John Farnam regularly does combined classes that seem to work well. Most of the time is spent on the handgun but there is a block with the shotgun both days. I liked it in comparison to a full shotgun class because even for me back in the day a full day of getting banged around by Thumper got old.

Chuck Haggard
08-14-2013, 11:55 PM
a full day of getting banged around by Thumper got old.

There is that.

jlw
08-15-2013, 06:16 AM
John Farnam regularly does combined classes that seem to work well. Most of the time is spent on the handgun but there is a block with the shotgun both days. I liked it in comparison to a full shotgun class because even for me back in the day a full day of getting banged around by Thumper got old.

There is that.

I took a 40 Hour shotgun instructor course... Thankfully, the weather was very cold by GA standards.

Chuck Whitlock
08-15-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm interested, but probably can't make it anytime this year.

If there will be blocks specific to snubs/BUGs and medium/duty frame weapons, are there plans for loaners/rentals to be available? The only revolver I currently have is a 4" S&W 15, and I imagine that some folks may have a snubbie, but no larger frame wheelie.

Also, what about ammo availability? I've had a devil of a time finding .38 range fodder in my AO.

Dagga Boy
08-15-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm interested, but probably can't make it anytime this year.

If there will be blocks specific to snubs/BUGs and medium/duty frame weapons, are there plans for loaners/rentals to be available? The only revolver I currently have is a 4" S&W 15, and I imagine that some folks may have a snubbie, but no larger frame wheelie.

Also, what about ammo availability? I've had a devil of a time finding .38 range fodder in my AO.

We will gear the class towards general use revolvers (med-large frame) and the thought is to devote a portion of one day to running the snubs. I am sure we can come up with some extra guns for those who need a loaner. I will look into having ammunition available for purchase.

Chuck Haggard
08-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Freedom Munitions has been getting .38 special in stock fairly regularly. Just an observation.

Nephrology
08-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Freedom Munitions has been getting .38 special in stock fairly regularly. Just an observation.

It's not bad stuff, either, and well priced. Cheaper than most 9mm even.

Shawn.L
08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
I just bought some of that (500 rounds) in the first 200 I have shot I've had a handful of ones with split cases I wouldn't even fire. Totally sketch ammo. I won't buy it again.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/shawn235711/78F8D0D3-90CD-4301-95AF-A75974922540-29144-0000228028EA93A3_zps0c6ee9bd.jpg

Shawn.L
08-15-2013, 08:20 PM
And a couple that wouldn't fire on the first strike in 2 different guns that have 0 issues with other ammo.

Nephrology
08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
I just bought some of that (500 rounds) in the first 200 I have shot I've had a handful of ones with split cases I wouldn't even fire. Totally sketch ammo. I won't buy it again.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/shawn235711/78F8D0D3-90CD-4301-95AF-A75974922540-29144-0000228028EA93A3_zps0c6ee9bd.jpg

Wow. Really? I went through just a box of 50 from the same lot it looks like, no issues.... I'll be definitely doing a careful visual inspection on the rest of the half case I got. Was yours the 125gr ?

Shawn.L
08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Yup. The 125 fmj.

Chuck Haggard
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
That sucks.

I'm almost all the way through a 500 round case, and some of the guys I shoot IDPA with have been using the 125gr FMJ .38 and 230gr .45 without issues.

You let them know about that yet?