PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a Bolt Action 30-06 and Scope?

zeroflux
08-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I am looking to purchase a bolt action long rifle for long distance marksmanship and potentially hunting (although I am not currently a hunter). Accuracy is the main consideration here and I understand that you can easily pay as much as the rifle price if not more for a good scope. Also, does any have real experience with the Ruger American Rifle I see advertised in the forum? It was recently also featured in American Rifleman so I am definitely intrigued. What are other alternatives in the same class? (with the exception of Remington who I am boycotting because of their decision to remain in NY)

TGS
08-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Discussion on the Ruger American: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8820-American-Modern-Manufacturing

Dan_S
08-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Ruger - Bleh. They're mediocre quality, and really are nothing that I would consider for your stated purpose.

Check out SAKO rifles. http://www.sako.fi/rifles.php

As far as good glass, Zeiss is high quality glass for decent money. http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/hunting/en_us/riflescopes/conquest-riflescopes.html

If you want more specifics regarding what I've said, shoot me a PM.

part-time shooter
08-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I've got an American in 243, I bought it right after SHOT and it was the first to arrive in my dealer. It's certainly no work of art but it's a hell of an accurate rifle for the money, it was $295 or something around that, dirt cheap. It'll shoot dime sized groups all day at 100 yards with Hornady Superformance 95 gr SSTs. I didn't break the bank on a scope for it. I mounted a Redfield Revolution on it, 3x9x40. It's light and accurate and having it get beat up in heavy cover or the back of your truck will not will not be an issue.

The American is very light for an '06 and will beat the daylights out of you on the bench without a lead sled...even the 243 will knock you around after a few rounds off a sandbag.

My '06 is a 700 SPS that I restocked into a B&C Medalist, it adds a bit of weight and stability, the plastic stock on the 700 was trash. There's a Redfield on this one as well, they are hard to beat for the money for a field grade rifle. Anything from Vortex, Leupold, Redfield(which is owned by Leupold), or Zeiss will be a great match. I'm talking about the entry level scopes, don't spend much on the first rifle/scope combo you buy. Buy it, shoot it, learn what you do and don't like about it and THEN make the purchase you are thinking of now.

The American is really hard to beat for a first bolt rifle.

If you just want to shoot paper then take a hard look at some of the Savage rifles. I have a bull barreled Savage that will drive tacks far beyond my ability to do so.

I'd move to a 308 for long range, and the 308 is a great hunting round as well.

Suvorov
08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I have had a 700bdl in 06 in the family that has taken many a deer/elk/antelope and has always done well. I also have a 700p in 308 that is easily the most accurate thing I own. Not to say that other rifles out there are not just as good, just that I am quite happy with mine.

DocGKR
08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I used 700's in .308, but always have preferred the .30-06 in a Win Model 70 classic action.

Optic depends on the ranges you need to shoot at. Leupold, Nightforce, S&B, Zeiss all are great. Several friends have very positive things to say about the new Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes.

223AI
08-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I am looking to purchase a bolt action long rifle for long distance marksmanship and potentially hunting (although I am not currently a hunter). Accuracy is the main consideration here and I understand that you can easily pay as much as the rifle price if not more for a good scope. Also, does any have real experience with the Ruger American Rifle I see advertised in the forum? It was recently also featured in American Rifleman so I am definitely intrigued. What are other alternatives in the same class? (with the exception of Remington who I am boycotting because of their decision to remain in NY)

Why are you wanting an '06 vs a short action caliber of similar or better performance?

I'd wholly recommend a 700 patterned in S/A with good handloads in just about anything over a .30-06. My 223 sends pointed 82 bergers at 2900, my 308 sends 155's at 2920-2950 (faster with longer barrels), my 6.5x47 sends 123'sat 2925...all smoke, meet, or beat a 30-06, but are cheaper to load/buy ammo for, and you aren't stuck with a long action to deal with.

If you are hung up on a 30-06, i'd recommend a .300 winmag in it's place since you would be forced to go L/A. Much better performance than 30-06, and the rifle action remains the same.

Either way, good luck...and good shooting. As long as you're behind a gun, all is good.

SecondsCount
08-11-2013, 07:00 PM
I have similar questions to 223AI.

What kind of "long distance" are we talking about? 200? 800? 1000 yards?

The '06 is a good cartridge for basic purposes but you can get much better accuracy and efficiency without the recoil. Something like the 260 or for serious accuracy the 6.5x47 would be excellent.

GJM
08-11-2013, 07:54 PM
If you unsure of exactly what you want, it is hard to beat a pre-64 model 70 in .30-06, with a Leupold 1.75-6 (or better scope).

fn/form
08-15-2013, 01:02 PM
What kind of "long distance" are we talking about? 200? 800? 1000 yards?

The '06 is a good cartridge for basic purposes but you can get much better accuracy and efficiency without the recoil. Something like the 260 or for serious accuracy the 6.5x47 would be excellent.

Very good questions. I add:

What system accuracy do you demand (not including your performance)? What repeatability do you demand--first shot or groups? What is the budget? What style suits your fancy--McMillan A series types or traditional stock? Do you want to be able to tinker with the rifle--accessories and what not?

Is this conceptually a mountain rifle or plains rifle?

Why are you married to the .30-06?

If I were looking out to 500yds for an accurate hunting rifle, I'd be looking hard at Tikka.

shooter220
08-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I LOVE me some .30-06, but the only reason I do is because I shoot it in my Garands. I can also buy the ammo relatively inexpensively from the CMP. However, if I were shooting for accuracy, I would shoot about anything else and it would be a short action. The .308 is a very good replacement to the .30-06, and gets you into the short action, and a LOT of rifle alternatives for not a lot of money.

When I sold guns for Wal-Mart, I coveted the Remington 700 ADL in .308. It came with a cheap scope, a blind magazine instead of hinged floorplate, and a cheap 3-9 scope. But it was also $359 or something like that - and I also just dated myself mightily. I would upgrade from that now, but I wouldn't spend TOO much for a low-use rifle in my world.

-shooter

SLG
08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
It seems the op has left the area, so this may be a little late. The 30-06 is an awesome choice in a LR round, but it requires a more precise set up than the Ruger can accommodate. Load it with 208 amax, 215 or even 230 bergers, and reloader 17. It will perform. 22" barrel or longer might be best, but that really depends on your exact needs and preferences. It comes way closer to the win mag than the 308 like this, and still has good barrel life and a little less recoil.

MK11
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
.30-06 wouldn't be my first choice for pure accuracy but for a general purpose round, it's hard to beat. Bonus--.30-06 and 270 were the only center fire rounds of any type that I saw with consistency until recently. Forget .308, I saw more .223 on the shelves (and barely saw any of that).

Guinnessman
09-01-2013, 08:27 AM
.30-06 wouldn't be my first choice for pure accuracy but for a general purpose round, it's hard to beat. Bonus--.30-06 and 270 were the only center fire rounds of any type that I saw with consistency until recently. Forget .308, I saw more .223 on the shelves (and barely saw any of that).

I just bought a Remington 700 in 30.06 to use as a general purpose hunting rifle. My Grandfather's Rem 760 will now be retired. The 700 was not my first choice, but the price and availability made it an easy choice. The vast aftermarket of Rem 700 parts and accessories sucked me in. When I finally get some glass on this rifle I will try to come back to this thread and post a report. It will initially be set up as "The Everyman's Hunting Rifle."

David Armstrong
09-02-2013, 01:52 PM
For scopes, Sportsmans's Guide latest catalog has a 3-9x40 Leupold scope for under $200.

Frank R
09-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Tikka T3 Hunter. Very accurate, smooth action and great trigger. Made by Sako.