PDA

View Full Version : Dueling Tree Idea

ToddG
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
6 plates

top two plates are 4"
middle two plates are 6"
bottom two plates are 8"

Lowers the center of gravity and forces shooters to change gears depending on which plate they're aiming for.

Someone go make one and tell me if it works. :cool:

Josh Runkle
08-09-2013, 10:38 PM
What if the top plates were 1"? :)

ToddG
08-09-2013, 10:40 PM
What if the top plates were 1"? :)

They'd be really, really small.

nycnoob
08-09-2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.saluteproducts.com/specials/steel-targets-22-rimfire-challenge-dodmilspec.html

Something similar for rimfire.

MD7305
08-09-2013, 11:49 PM
tacstrike.com

I'm not affiliated with this guy but I do follow him on Facebook. I bet it's a project he could easily accomplish.

Josh Runkle
08-10-2013, 12:35 AM
They'd be really, really small.

Well, you did say changing gears. Maybe .25 splits and then 25 seconds for the 1"?

GJM
08-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Next month's new DOW -- "4,6,8."

This drill will be shot at 7 yards. Load five rounds, unless starting from a ready position other than the holster where you will load six rounds. The idea is to explore the effect of different size targets and various scoring systems. There are variations -- shooter is to pick one:

1) TLG version, miss a shot and you are done.

2) OrigamiAK version, try three runs, switching between a black Defoor, red FO and green FO front sight. Only report your time if it is under 1.8 seconds.

3) GJM version -- first run with a P30, second run with a Glock 17, and third run with a 226. Report fastest pistol.

4) Dentist version -- shoot with a M&P 9 with RMR and 147 AE flat point ammo. Provide picture of stippling on M&P.

5) Glock hater version -- instead of scoring the hits, measure the distance the empty brass ejects and plot the variation in landing spots. Deduct a penalty if brass goes left.

6) 9mm 1911 version -- try three kinds of magazines and report which brand breaks.

7) SME version -- shoot wearing a SME holster but disregard time.

8) South Narc version -- shoot lying on your back with a partner twisting your support arm.

9) CZ version -- try to lower your hammer when making ready without putting a round in the dirt.

10) JHC version -- only run with a Gen 4 Glock.

11) "You have been warned" version -- only provide AAR.

12) YVK version -- shoot with a pistol worked on by Gray Guns, and speculate percentage improvement from reduced reset.

13) JodyH version -- shoot wearing basketball pants.

CCT125US
08-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Well, you did say changing gears. Maybe .25 splits and then 25 seconds for the 1"?

I do happen to live close to sumdood who has mad welding skills and a plasma cutter, but he is in need of some physical therapy. We have been talking about doing a deuling tree for some time now. I think pops could cut a 2", 4", 6" set up. Say 20 yards to make things interesting?

Mr_White
08-10-2013, 12:48 AM

This drill will be shot at 7 yards. Load five rounds, unless starting from a ready position other than the holster where you will load six rounds. The idea is to explore the effect of different size targets and various scoring systems. There are variations -- shooter is to pick one:

2) OrigamiAK version, try three runs, switching between a black Defoor, red FO and green FO front sight. Only report your time if it is under 1.8 seconds.

3) GJM version -- first run with a P30, second run with a Glock 17, and third run with a 226. Report fastest pistol.

4) Dentist version -- shoot with a M&P 9 with RMR and 147 AE flat point ammo. Provide picture of stippling on M&P.

5) Glock hater version -- instead of scoring the hits, measure the distance the empty brass ejects and plot the variation in landing spots. Deduct a penalty if brass goes left.

6) 9mm 1911 version -- try three kinds of magazines and report which brand breaks.

8) South Narc version -- shoot lying on your back with a partner twisting your support arm.

9) CZ version -- try to lower your hammer when making ready without putting a round in the dirt.

12) YVK version -- shoot with a pistol worked on by Gray Guns, and speculate percentage improvement from reduced reset.

:D

CCT125US
08-10-2013, 12:51 AM

You sir are the winner, that is spot on.

SecondsCount
08-10-2013, 06:48 AM
GJM- That was hilarious.

A good friend, who is a welder, wants to build a dueling tree. I will run this by him.

LittleLebowski
08-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Well done, GJM.

I want to see Todd take a welding class.

ToddG
08-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Failure2Stop
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Nice.
But you forgot one:

(14) SeanM version: wrap the target array with det cord, C4, and diesel fuel cans. DO NOT LOOK AT THE EXPLOSION.
Smoke victor cigar.
Tell no one about the event.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

BLR
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I think one of the steel target makers has something like this. I'll look later today.

As a side note, our USPSA club did a match where there was a "dueling" Texas Star. Some plates were white, some red. That was awesome fun.

JConn
08-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Nice.
But you forgot one:

(14) SeanM version: wrap the target array with det cord, C4, and diesel fuel cans. DO NOT LOOK AT THE EXPLOSION.
Smoke victor cigar.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Epic.

Odin Bravo One
08-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Nice.
But you forgot one:

Smoke victor cigar.

While wearing shorts, flips flops and carbon fiber Ray Ban's instead of the authorized eye pro.

GJM
08-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I envisioned the SeanM version shot with a .17 HMR, pictures of gophers on the targets, wearing one of those "I am the NRA" hats you get for renewing.

The Bill Riehl test with a $4k 1911 or another pistol where the coating costs more than the pistol.

The CCT125 version with a DA/SA HK (because he missed the memo about how much better LEM is).

Josh Runkle
08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
The CCT125 version with a DA/SA HK (because he missed the memo about how much better LEM is).

Hahaha. So true. Only I give him the memo once a week when we chat about shooting or go shooting and for some reason he's just bound and determined to shoot like two different trigger pulls don't matter. I'm all like: "Hey, let's do an objective test to see if da/sa is inferior..." Then I have to try to make up reasons like: "...But, but, this other trainer agrees with me..."

GJM
08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I guess HK's team also missed the memo, since they apparently also compete with DA/SA.

John Ralston
08-10-2013, 09:49 PM

I don't think that is exactly a fair statement...I have reports of draw times within a couple tenths of Kydex.

ToddG
08-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't think that is exactly a fair statement...I have reports of draw times within a couple tenths of Kydex.

Yeah, that was the one unrealistic, non-factual item on the list. :p

(and based on actual side by side testing, I'd put my SME at no more than a tenth slower than a great kydex aiwb holster... and that's due to the amount of tuck -- i.e., concealability -- and not the material)

GJM
08-11-2013, 12:00 AM

John, it is time to delivery!

ToddG
08-11-2013, 12:00 AM
(deleted because I'm slow)

John Hearne
08-11-2013, 05:51 PM
For anyone that wants such a dueling tree, your best bet is to take an existing "known good" product and tweak it. I'd start with the Action Target version and just have someone cut targets if different sizes. I did something similar with their plate rack and it worked great.