PDA

View Full Version : Driving schools

EricP
08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm interested in taking a defensive/higher performance driving class. My focus is more on avoiding less attentive drivers and regaining control of my own errors than PIT maneuvers and J-turns (although J-turns might be fun, if not particularly relevant).

All of the schools I have looked at thus far (Skip Barber, etc.) cost in the multi-thousand dollar range. I can't afford that. I also don't have enough of a background in performance driving to weed out the irrelevant or waste of time and money schools.

I know several people here have that background or have taken similar classes and I'd like to hear your input.

Al T.
08-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Tagged. I'm interested too. :)

ToddG
08-08-2013, 07:08 PM
The one-day class at BSR (accidentavoidance.com I think but I'm on Tapatalk at the moment) was excellent, a few hundred dollars, and something id happily do again.

TCinVA
08-08-2013, 08:00 PM
The one-day class at BSR (accidentavoidance.com I think but I'm on Tapatalk at the moment) was excellent, a few hundred dollars, and something id happily do again.

I don't know if they still teach it, but Blackwater used to offer a similar course.

I took BMW's 2 day school and it dealt with all the fundamentals. There was some fluff (like driving their "Sports Activity Vehicles" on a carefully controlled "offroad" course) but it was solid content on car control and more time on the skidpad than you get with most one day programs.

nycnoob
08-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I have taken several Driving courses. I post my reviews of them over here:

http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14630

The forum is a free forum but you need to be a member to read/post.
Many people from here (PF) also post over there (TPI).
I keep my posting here to be gun related.

In particular they have a one day course which is $500.
There is a three day course which is expanded version and I really enjoyed the longer one but it is several thousand dollars.

peterb
08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
It was many years ago, but I took a Stevens class and thought it was a day well spent. http://www.skidschool.us/

There may be something similar in your area.

ToddG
08-09-2013, 08:59 AM
I don't know if they still teach it, but Blackwater used to offer a similar course.

Some enterprising member of the forum staff should see if he could set up a 1-day driving, 1-day shooting class for forum members down there. :cool:

justintime
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
College station has a track out on an old military base specifically for this. I think the police use it. It is rentable

EricP
08-09-2013, 03:56 PM
I have taken several Driving courses. I post my reviews of them over here:

http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14630

The forum is a free forum but you need to be a member to read/post.
Many people from here (PF) also post over there (TPI).
I keep my posting here to be gun related.

In particular they have a one day course which is $500.
There is a three day course which is expanded version and I really enjoyed the longer one but it is several thousand dollars.

Thanks for the link. That was a well written AAR and the accident avoidance class seems like what I'm looking for.

Some enterprising member of the forum staff should see if he could set up a 1-day driving, 1-day shooting class for forum members down there. :cool:

I remember reading something about a combination driving/shooting course on here some time ago. It would be very cool if that panned out.

JFK
08-13-2013, 12:56 PM

One day shooting while driving.........

TCinVA
08-13-2013, 01:26 PM
One day shooting while driving.........

I lived in Norfolk and in New Jersey. I already know how to do a driveby.

David Armstrong
08-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Don't know if it is still up and running, but University of Central Oklahoma used to do a good defensive driving program that was open to the public. Skid pads, simulators, decision-making skills and avoidance maneuvers, etc.