PDA

View Full Version : einherjar

abu fitna
08-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Having been foolish enough to ask a question at an inopportune time on a break in class the other day, I found myself with a homework assignment – to describe the history of the einherjar mythology. This legend apparently had some significance for some folks here, and I was told that I would be banned from the forum if I did not submit an essay on this as my next post.

While one might argue the point, I happen to be the kind of guy that spends free time wandering around ruins in some of the more God-forsaken places on the earth, and as a result have collected quite a bit in the way of archaeological odds and ends knocking about in the old brain. While my usual interests lie in the Middle East and Asia, this was a pleasant enough diversion that I didn’t just ignore it and spend my internet time elsewhere. (Besides, if nothing else I still intend to be shooting the KSTG, and it is nice to be able to download the match results; and I owe an AAR anyway).

In Norse legend, the einherjar are dead warriors who serve in Valhalla. The are named by some scholars as “Vaholl-demons”. They are recounted in oral tradition later documented in a few of the surviving epics, where details are given of their inexhaustible food, drink, and war-like practice. They are considered sons of Odin, who is the “father of the slain” in that he adopts those killed in battle. Odin is also said to have given gifts of arms and armor to them in lifetime on occasion.

The einherjar are also assigned what one might consider early special operations missions. In the case of Hermod, this involved riding into Hel to rescue a fallen warrior king. While as an exfiltration the mission met with little success, the mission did recover intelligence regarding conditions for hostage negotiation. In the case of Sigmundr, oral tradition recounts his escape from imprisonment and evasion using tactics mimicking those of the wolf. In later life, the death of his son serves as a warning against treachery and poison.

The einherjar also performed ceremonial duties. Again we look to Hermod, who was assigned to greet the fallen king Haakon at Valhalla. Haakon died repelling an unanticipated amphibious raid by a rival’s sons at Fitjar circa 961 AD, but was famous for victories gained through tactical deception in 955 AD at Rastarkalv. However, Hermod himself was a Christian – although he did not fare well in introducing the faith to his people, giving rise to this story supposedly authored by one of his close court advisors.

The key defining characteristic of the einherjar is skill in combat. Specifically, this contest must be conducted on an individual basis, between two champions of equal rank, and is decided solely based on personal valour. Only four hundred thousand are said to have reached this merit.

All together, an interesting bit of lore; and one can see how the imagery might be fitting for a training activity.

There also happens to be a death metal overlap with the name, but I am sure that this is not what was intended by the appellation. Somehow, I just don’t see some middle age white guys faring well in a Scandinavian biker rally slash concert; nor are white separatists who also use similar themes in their music the company anyone in this forum are ever likely to keep.

But at the end of the day the real moral of the story is thus – questions are apparently to be punished. Act accordingly, or you may find yourself volunteered.

Citations are on your own folks. Otherwise that is too much like actual academics, and I’ve had enough of that to not be bothered in a forum post.

ToddG
08-07-2013, 08:22 PM
In the case of Hermod, this involved riding into Hel to rescue a fallen warrior king. While as an exfiltration the mission met with little success, the mission did recover intelligence regarding conditions for hostage negotiation. In the case of Sigmundr, oral tradition recounts his escape from imprisonment and evasion using tactics mimicking those of the wolf.

Dude, that's freakin' awesome. Only you would have thought of it in those terms. :cool:

Bravo all around!

Sparks2112
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Having been foolish enough to ask a question at an inopportune time on a break in class the other day, I found myself with a homework assignment – to describe the history of the einherjar mythology. This legend apparently had some significance for some folks here, and I was told that I would be banned from the forum if I did not submit an essay on this as my next post.

While one might argue the point, I happen to be the kind of guy that spends free time wandering around ruins in some of the more God-forsaken places on the earth, and as a result have collected quite a bit in the way of archaeological odds and ends knocking about in the old brain. While my usual interests lie in the Middle East and Asia, this was a pleasant enough diversion that I didn’t just ignore it and spend my internet time elsewhere. (Besides, if nothing else I still intend to be shooting the KSTG, and it is nice to be able to download the match results; and I owe an AAR anyway).

In Norse legend, the einherjar are dead warriors who serve in Valhalla. The are named by some scholars as “Vaholl-demons”. They are recounted in oral tradition later documented in a few of the surviving epics, where details are given of their inexhaustible food, drink, and war-like practice. They are considered sons of Odin, who is the “father of the slain” in that he adopts those killed in battle. Odin is also said to have given gifts of arms and armor to them in lifetime on occasion.

The einherjar are also assigned what one might consider early special operations missions. In the case of Hermod, this involved riding into Hel to rescue a fallen warrior king. While as an exfiltration the mission met with little success, the mission did recover intelligence regarding conditions for hostage negotiation. In the case of Sigmundr, oral tradition recounts his escape from imprisonment and evasion using tactics mimicking those of the wolf. In later life, the death of his son serves as a warning against treachery and poison.

The einherjar also performed ceremonial duties. Again we look to Hermod, who was assigned to greet the fallen king Haakon at Valhalla. Haakon died repelling an unanticipated amphibious raid by a rival’s sons at Fitjar circa 961 AD, but was famous for victories gained through tactical deception in 955 AD at Rastarkalv. However, Hermod himself was a Christian – although he did not fare well in introducing the faith to his people, giving rise to this story supposedly authored by one of his close court advisors.

The key defining characteristic of the einherjar is skill in combat. Specifically, this contest must be conducted on an individual basis, between two champions of equal rank, and is decided solely based on personal valour. Only four hundred thousand are said to have reached this merit.

All together, an interesting bit of lore; and one can see how the imagery might be fitting for a training activity.

There also happens to be a death metal overlap with the name, but I am sure that this is not what was intended by the appellation. Somehow, I just don’t see some middle age white guys faring well in a Scandinavian biker rally slash concert; nor are white separatists who also use similar themes in their music the company anyone in this forum are ever likely to keep.

But at the end of the day the real moral of the story is thus – questions are apparently to be punished. Act accordingly, or you may find yourself volunteered.

Citations are on your own folks. Otherwise that is too much like actual academics, and I’ve had enough of that to not be bothered in a forum post.

I wish we had a like button. :)

Chuck Haggard
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I wish we had a like button. :)

^This^

abu fitna
08-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks folks... I blame (or actually quite credit) Thomas S. for permanently rewiring my brain to think in case studies, even if I may write them as essentially shorthand gists rather than his more eloquent style.

In a similar fashion to the tradition that apparently got me stuck writing this thread, a particular element that I worked with had a routine and rotating assignment that forced folks to brief historical actions, under the belief that we should not forget our common history at arms. After some time, the easy sources of staff rides and of popular history are mined, requiring folks to become much more esoteric in their research for that purpose.

I think it a tradition that ought be revived for many. At least then we might be spared the endless variations of Greco-Roman and Japanese pseudo histories that seem to infect the training community.

I believe that the Appleseed folks have carved out for themselves a nice variant of the tradition, in order to help keep the memories of our founding alive. There are however other legacies that deserve appropriate memory.

nycnoob
08-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Viking Invasion of the Abbey of Kells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3AvyeMhmU