PDA

View Full Version : If a Football Coach Coached Futbol/Soccer....

BaiHu
08-05-2013, 08:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6KeG_i8CWE8

Nephrology
08-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Hahaha, amazing. As someone who grew up watching/playing soccer over football (you can thank my frenchy family for that). It's too bad it isn't bigger over here, but America and soccer don't really mix.... kind of like orange juice and water. That said our national team is getting a lot better these days.

JHC
08-05-2013, 07:26 PM
LOL "How many countries are in this country?" [re Wales]

jlw
08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
:D:D:D

Reminds of a day with rather conflicted interest. A certain institution of which I am very directly affiliated came to the county where I work to play a very high brow private school in a communist futbol match.

I didn't appreciate a call. Apparently, and this should have been printed on signs or leaflets or something, it is considered bad form to yell at communist futbol referees.

This was compounded by the fact that there were no "home" and "away" sides in the stadium.

Also, my response to all of the faces suddenly turned in my direction consisting of "Go ahead and call 911 and listen for my phone to ring." was not as humorous as I thought it was.

Slavex
08-05-2013, 09:16 PM
hahahaha

DocGKR
08-06-2013, 12:51 AM
I am a US Soccer Federation referee, but not of the communist variety.

When obstreperous fans try to spin my calls I know exactly what their motivation is; I've got their number and they can consider themselves warned...

NickA
08-06-2013, 06:27 AM

When obstreperous fans try to spin my calls I know exactly what their motivation is; I've got their number and they can consider themselves warned...

Goooooaaaallll!

Nephrology
08-06-2013, 07:13 AM

I bet you are a real stickler for offsides..... ;)

jlw
08-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Dang. I had to look up what obstreperous means.

A legendary high school football coach in GA always referred to soccer as communist football. Soccer is just now becoming somewhat available in the high schools here. I played soccer when I lived out west, but I graduated high school before it was even a recognized varsity sport here.

LHS
08-06-2013, 10:11 AM
:D:D:D

Reminds of a day with rather conflicted interest. A certain institution of which I am very directly affiliated came to the county where I work to play a very high brow private school in a communist futbol match.

I didn't appreciate a call. Apparently, and this should have been printed on signs or leaflets or something, it is considered bad form to yell at communist futbol referees.

This was compounded by the fact that there were no "home" and "away" sides in the stadium.

Also, my response to all of the faces suddenly turned in my direction consisting of "Go ahead and call 911 and listen for my phone to ring." was not as humorous as I thought it was.

I don't get it. In Europe, disagreement with a referee's calls are generally met with hooliganism. In Brazil, it is occasionally met with murder and/or drawing/quartering. Why are we so serious?

DocGKR
08-06-2013, 10:38 AM
We have armed referees--that whole an armed society is a polite society thing...

tmoore912
08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
"There is no playoffs"

"There's no Playoffs....................................Again, my job just got a whole lot easier. Ties and no playoffs..................................Why even do this?"

:D:D

jlw
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't get it. In Europe, disagreement with a referee's calls are generally met with hooliganism. In Brazil, it is occasionally met with murder and/or drawing/quartering. Why are we so serious?

In this case, I think it was more geographic than anything else. As I posted earlier, when I lived out west, soccer was considered a "normal" sport, but in the deep South, it was and still is to some degree considered a game for rich boys, boys afraid of getting hit, and for children who have overprotective parents. It really is looked at as "communist football" here, and many schools still refuse to have programs.

My own institution didn't have soccer until we hired a yankee general whose daughter who married a soccer player.

The school where this match was played is very high brow playing into the stereotype that soccer is for rich boys.

My nephew fell into the overprotective parent category and initially wasn't allowed to play football. Unfortunately, two knee surgeries in high school ended his soccer career. He got some looks from some schools, but in the end he decided to give it up.

DocGKR
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I played soccer through middle school and switched to American football for high school. Given the numerous studies out these days on the lifelong effects of repetitive head trauma, I am much less enamored with American football. In addition, the cardiovascular benefits of the continual play over a 45 min soccer half are much better than the brief anaerobic exertions in American football.

In contrast to the description of southeastern soccer perceptions, in many parts of the world soccer is considered a lower class sport for the masses. On the west coast it is one of the most common sports. I was recently at a competitive invitation soccer tournament; only the best teams in the west were there--yet 300 or so girls teams with over 5000 players were present.

LHS
08-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Where I grew up, soccer was for girls, and those boys who couldn't hack it in 'real' football. In fact, we called them 'lawn fairies'. Then I moved out west and married a soccer player. While I still don't particularly enjoy watching soccer, I at least respect the athleticism required to play. As Doc said, the lower rate of head trauma and the long-duration aerobics are definite plusses. I would also add that it's a lot more tenable to play soccer recreationally into middle age than, say, football, which lets the health benefits accrue into adulthood. I see it as akin to basketball in many ways, including the tendency to take a dive in the hopes of getting a foul called on your opponents.

I once heard soccer and rugby compared thusly: Soccer is an elegant sport for thugs, while rugby is a thuggish sport for gentlemen.

jlw
08-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I played soccer through middle school and switched to American football for high school. Given the numerous studies out these days on the lifelong effects of repetitive head trauma, I am much less enamored with American football. In addition, the cardiovascular benefits of the continual play over a 45 min soccer half are much better than the brief anaerobic exertions in American football.

In contrast to the description of southeastern soccer perceptions, in many parts of the world soccer is considered a lower class sport for the masses. On the west coast it is one of the most common sports. I was recently at a competitive invitation soccer tournament; only the best teams in the west were there--yet 300 or so girls teams with over 5000 players were present.

Where I grew up, soccer was for girls, and those boys who couldn't hack it in 'real' football. In fact, we called them 'lawn fairies'. Then I moved out west and married a soccer player. While I still don't particularly enjoy watching soccer, I at least respect the athleticism required to play. As Doc said, the lower rate of head trauma and the long-duration aerobics are definite plusses. I would also add that it's a lot more tenable to play soccer recreationally into middle age than, say, football, which lets the health benefits accrue into adulthood. I see it as akin to basketball in many ways, including the tendency to take a dive in the hopes of getting a foul called on your opponents.

I once heard soccer and rugby compared thusly: Soccer is an elegant sport for thugs, while rugby is a thuggish sport for gentlemen.

It's also cheaper to field a soccer team due to the lesser equipment cost. It's growing here with youth leagues becoming popular, but the contrast is still very active.

Funny thing about the injury aspect is that I made it through years of football without any injuries of consequence (did break my arm in a game of what was basically gladiator football), but I have a chronic issue with one of my knees from a pickup softball game...

LHS
08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
It's also cheaper to field a soccer team due to the lesser equipment cost. It's growing here with youth leagues becoming popular, but the contrast is still very active.

Funny thing about the injury aspect is that I made it through years of football without any injuries of consequence (did break my arm in a game of what was basically gladiator football), but I have a chronic issue with one of my knees from a pickup softball game...

Ironically, I got out of football without any serious injuries (dislocated a thumb, but it healed fine), but my shoulder is still screwed up from my freshman year of wrestling (I was supposed to be the senior heavyweight's chew toy, but he didn't like toys that fought back). I remember reading somewhere that soccer has the highest overall injury rate of any youth sport, but those injuries tended to not be things like traumatic brain injuries.

BWT
08-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Oh you better watch it. Real close... I know what your motives are.

Gary.

:cool:

DocGKR
08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Sports Related Concussions (SRC) are now at 3.8 million SRC in U.S. each year—an annual increase of 60% over the past decade.

Common student athlete concussion incidence per 100,000 participants:
• Boys: football 70, ice hockey 54, lacrosse 43, wrestling 23
• Girls: soccer 33, lacrosse 33, field hockey 23, basketball 20

LHS
08-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Sports Related Concussions (SRC) are now at 3.8 million SRC in U.S. each year—an annual increase of 60% over the past decade.

I'm surprised wrestling is that high. I saw the occasional bell rung from a Cowboy throw, but little else. Hockey and Lacrosse, however, make perfect sense.

ford.304
08-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I've played a little bit of soccer with coworkers, and it's ok but I've never managed to get the tactical depth/chess game style enjoyment out of it I do out of football. That and I really like hitting people.

It is nice that you can pretty much play "real" soccer anywhere and at all ages, whereas as an amateur "real" football ends in high school, to be followed up with bastardized 5 on 5 flag leagues. I unfortunately didn't realize I liked the game until after I graduated, so I'll never get to properly enjoy giving a pretty boy quarterback one of those concussions Doc is talking about :(

It's amazing how much things have changed in recent years. My friends lobbied all through high school to get soccer recognized as a school sport, with no success. Now every time I drive past a field they're completely packed with players.

BaiHu
08-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Doc,
Could you give some more color to this?
Anecdotally, I've found that kids are getting softer in the last 15 years (teaching MA) in mental toughness and tactile sensitivity. In addition, I have a hunch that some of the 'protective' equipment has actually increased damage due to riskier behavior.
Meaning, the 'less consequences' via mitigating pain/damage (while using protective equipment), the higher the number of serious injuries caused by reckless behavior. Whereas in the past, many smaller injuries, caused by discovering risk management (due to a lack of protective gear) created a greater understanding on how not to catch yourself with your face on the floor/cement/field.
Looking forward to any insight you have to offer, including "You're wrong." :p

JHC
08-06-2013, 02:35 PM

My 25 year old got a knocked cold twice wrestling and his broken nose was probably a 3rd hidden behind it. I didn't know soccer til the now 21 year old took it up when he was just 8 or 9. I've learned to like quality soccer quite a bit.

DocGKR
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
From my observations, it appears many boys are indeed getter softer, but girls are getting tougher and more aggressive. While 3 of the top 4 male sports for SRC's have protective equipment, NONE of the 4 sports with the highest incidence of female SRC's routinely use protective equipment, so that hypothesis may not work for those sports. The fact that women have much less neck musculature in relations to head mass MAY be a major contributing factor.

BaiHu
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Doc,
Thanks for that insight and I agree the girls have gotten tougher. Although I have fewer female students, they are my best students.
They even hit harder than the boys their age and bigger due to proper technique/attention to detail.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2