PDA

View Full Version : How to start?

teamshrink
05-13-2011, 08:06 PM
OK, I came to shooting late in life. I think it'd be fun to compete, but I have no idea where to start. How do you break into target shooting?

TS

LittleLebowski
05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
What competitions and training are available in your area?

JodyH
05-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Show up at a match.
I always recommend people watch a match to get the general idea of what's going on and what gear is required then come out and enter the next match.
Also, don't be shy about telling the match director and range officer that you're a new competitor.
As a RO, I go out of my way to help new competitors feel relaxed and make sure they stay safe and have fun. I'll also cut you some slack on the competition rules and give you a little coaching during the stage if you get stuck or have a brain fart.
Rule #1 is be safe.
Rule #2 is have fun.
Now get yourself out to a match!

backtrail540
05-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I just started shooting USPSA this year so I was in your same boat. Basically, I just looked up what I needed online(dual mag pouch, decent holster, and mags along with proper eyes and ears) and showed up to the match.

My local club does not squad, and you can do a random start in an hour timeframe. I informed the RO at each stage I was new and they were all very helpful and made me feel welcome. I focused primarily on getting my hits and didn't rush myself at all. I was happy to say I didn't come in last(though not a major concern at all) and I now only have 2 matches under my belt but will most definitely not be quitting anytime soon. Go out and enjoy yourself.

DonovanM
05-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Assuming you've bought the right gear and practiced with it enough to be safe on things like drawing, moving, and reloading, usually you'll need to have a safety check done before local clubs let you start shooting. If not, you'll be able to show up and shoot your first match if you want to - which you will, after watching 4 or 5 shooters :D

Are you aware of what clubs in your area host the matches you'd be interested in? If you can't find a way of communicating with the club's match contact via phone or email (you'll want to ask them if you need a safety check to shoot, and if so, when it is [you'll need all your gear and some ammo]), then try to find out when set-up is. It might be the day before, or a couple hours before the match. If you help set up, you should get a discount on the match fee and can get your safety check done there, if required.

If you can't find out when set-up is, just show up to the first one. Like I said, they might let you shoot on the spot.

You can usually find the Match Director if you ask the fine people manning the stat shack (people will be lined up in front of it to register before the match starts).

Outside of the four basic safety rules, which must be followed at all times, there's a couple of match-specific things to be aware of. The first is that you can only handle your firearm in a Safety Area (clearly marked, ask where it is if it's not obvious), or on a stage under command of an RO. And in USPSA at least, there's a 180 degree rule to be aware of. It falls outside of the four basic rules, in that, if you look at the backstop, and imagine a line parallel to it is extending from both sides of your body, you can't point your gun past that line, or else you'll be DQed. Other than that, don't point your gun at any part of your body (above your waist and you'll get DQed), or anyone else, and keep your finger off the trigger unless you're shooting something and you'll be fine.

And one last thing, shoot your own game. Try not to run if you can help it for your first match or two.

And have fun :D

MDS
05-16-2011, 07:45 AM
My first match was a Steel Challenge-type match. I arrived thinking that I might just watch, but I let the RO convince me to shoot it. I shot it with a 22lr, because that's what I had with me. In retrospect I'm really glad I did that, the 22 let me focus on the game more than the gun, and shooting steel let me focus on the PLINK more than the group size. I went to the next match with my "real" gun and a whole lot more confidence.

As everyone said - folks are pretty friendly and supportive of new shooters at this sort of event. Watch and listen, and ask plenty of questions. Twice I watched out for someone taking a water break in the shade, moseyed on over and asked questions. Both times, I got tons of tips and a live commentary on the game as it progressed.

Enjoy!

ford.304
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Steel challenge is a *very* good way to get started, because it doesn't have nearly the gear requirements or complicated stages that you have to worry about with IDPA and USPSA. You can enjoy yourself at steel challenge with whatever gun you happen to have and maybe one reload. Even IDPA is going to require two magazines and holder and an approved holster, and USPSA is just scary if your normal gun happens to be a revolver.

But even with those, it's not as scary as you think. If you are comfortable with your draw and reloads from practicing with an empty gun, show up ready to shoot slowly and safely your first time out. Otherwise go and watch and absorb every tip you can, and come back the next time ready to play.

If you run a couple web searches you should be able to find something in your local area. If not go to the local gun store and ask around.