PDA

View Full Version : Stippling only half my grip?

bbratley1911
08-05-2013, 02:50 AM
I conceal carry a G19. What I was wanting to do was to only stipple half of the grip. The area that I want to stipple is the outside portion (the part that doesn't touch my body) and the finger grooves.

The reason for this is that I don't want a stippled portion of the handle to rub my skin raw, that's also why I don't want to do the backstrap.

My question is, has anyone done this? If so, is there any negative effect on follow-up shots or firing the weapon in general? I searched all over and couldn't find anyone who has done this.

I know that I could stipple the whole handle and sand down the parts that touch my body, but I still feel like that would be uncomfortable. Has anyone done this and experienced no discomfort? My weapon is a tool, so I'm not worried about how it will look with only half the handle stippled, more about how it will function in my hands.

Thank you

Sparks2112
08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Undershirt?

JBP55
08-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Undershirt?

What he said.

JHC
08-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I conceal carry a G19. What I was wanting to do was to only stipple half of the grip. The area that I want to stipple is the outside portion (the part that doesn't touch my body) and the finger grooves.

The reason for this is that I don't want a stippled portion of the handle to rub my skin raw, that's also why I don't want to do the backstrap.

My question is, has anyone done this? If so, is there any negative effect on follow-up shots or firing the weapon in general? I searched all over and couldn't find anyone who has done this.

I know that I could stipple the whole handle and sand down the parts that touch my body, but I still feel like that would be uncomfortable. Has anyone done this and experienced no discomfort? My weapon is a tool, so I'm not worried about how it will look with only half the handle stippled, more about how it will function in my hands.

Thank you

And it's not just your skin. Last week I wrecked a very nice micro fiber Columbia shirt from my RTF2. I knew it was a risk that day, and yep, I was right.
OrigamiAK takes this approach with his application of grip tape for the same reasons as you statue.

Try it with grip tape first perhaps and see if you get what you want from it.

Sparks2112
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I've yet to find anything better than the Hanes Cotton T-shirts in the 3 packs, 1 to 2 sizes small as far as undershirts go. CHEAP.

RE: Half stippling, whatever feels best in your hand man. I turn mine into a cheese grater and then wear an undershirt.

JHC
08-05-2013, 10:16 AM
I've yet to find anything better than the Hanes Cotton T-shirts in the 3 packs, 1 to 2 sizes small as far as undershirts go. CHEAP.

RE: Half stippling, whatever feels best in your hand man. I turn mine into a cheese grater and then wear an undershirt.

Yeah once I got hooked on cheese graters, nothing else feels right.

bbratley1911
08-06-2013, 02:22 AM
I've never worn undershirts, unless I'm dressing nice. I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy, but it might have to be an option. I'll try half stippling and see how it feels in my hand. I can always stipple more later

DocGKR
08-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Stipple enough to give you the traction you need to properly control the pistol; sometimes that is the entire grip, sometimes less...

VolGrad
08-06-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm a fan of stippled guns but another option is to get a set of Talon Grips. It's a one piece wrap-around grip tape. I love the rubber version. I recently traded into a gun that had one already applied and I am a big fan.

LittleLebowski
08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
And it's not just your skin. Last week I wrecked a very nice micro fiber Columbia shirt from my RTF2. I knew it was a risk that day, and yep, I was right.
OrigamiAK takes this approach with his application of grip tape for the same reasons as you statue.

Try it with grip tape first perhaps and see if you get what you want from it.

I've read of wet sanding the RTF gripped guns; that's what I would probably do if I had one.

Cookie Monster
08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
You can stipple just the front and backstrap or stipple the whole thing and sand the parts that scratch.

You could also run some Kinesio Tape until you harden up if you don't run an undershirt.

Good Luck,
Cookie Monster

08-06-2013, 09:31 AM
A good alternative to stippling is Marine-Tex. It offers improved traction but isn’t abrasive like stippling is.

TCinVA
08-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Stipple enough to give you the traction you need to properly control the pistol; sometimes that is the entire grip, sometimes less...

This.

Really sit down and examine your grip and where you need/want extra purchase. For me the area I need extra grip is where the meat of my left hand makes contact with the pistol, so I use a little bit of grip tape right in that area and it's sufficient.

JHC
08-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I've read of wet sanding the RTF gripped guns; that's what I would probably do if I had one.

Yes that's good advice. And if I were sensible I'd take it. But I am so hooked on the locked in feeling of RTF2 (psycho-emotional) that I haven't yet. And with options available I'll actually switch Glocks based on the shirt. Which is how I'd preserved that particular shirt this long. ;)

JJN
08-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I sanded the inside (left) of the G19 I stippled to make it a bit less abrasive. That proved to be a happy medium for me.

Clyde from Carolina
08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
This.

Really sit down and examine your grip and where you need/want extra purchase. For me the area I need extra grip is where the meat of my left hand makes contact with the pistol, so I use a little bit of grip tape right in that area and it's sufficient.

Not trying to be obtuse, but is this on the left side of the gun's grip? Just trying to mental this out.

Kobalt60
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I've been reading Kyle Lamb's combat pistol book lately and he mentions stippling the support hand side of the grip because that's where the most grip force is being applied by the least hand surface. He talks about leaving the other side relatively slick to facilitate any rotation of the gun during manipulations. Reading your post, it sounds like you'd be doing the opposite.