PDA

View Full Version : IWB to AIWB

NickA
05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I really want to give AIWB a try with a good holster so I'm thinking about ordering a Shaggy. I plan to start with a LOT of dry practice to get everything grooved in.
Of course during this transition I would still be carrying strong side. Also I'll be shooting IDPA where AIWB is a no-go.
What's the best way to make the switch? How bad would it be long-term to practice and carry one way and shoot matches (or possibly training classes where AIWB is not allowed) the other?

JodyH
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
The local IDPA club has a "cheaters" category for those of us with illegal equipment.
In IPSC I shoot in "Limited".

NickA
05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
i'll have to ask the IDPA guys; I suspect they'd shit a brick but you never know, they seem to play it fast and loose sometimes. Definitely going to a USPSA match soon, just hoping it will be a good group where i won't have to hear crap about shooting from concealment,etc.

JodyH
05-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I've never heard anything negative about me shooting from concealment from IPSC guys.
I've heard a few "never seen that before" comments.
It probably helps that I'm a match RO and have the "power of the procedural".
:cool:

JHC
05-15-2011, 06:20 AM
IME, you can train both and perform well with both if you will put in the reps over time. You can safely CCW both give the same commitment. Unless you are prone to just blanking out under stress, then you might forget where you're gun is; I mean I suppose that's possible. Is that what you were getting at?

NickA
05-15-2011, 07:25 AM
IME, you can train both and perform well with both if you will put in the reps over time. You can safely CCW both give the same commitment. Unless you are prone to just blanking out under stress, then you might forget where you're gun is; I mean I suppose that's possible. Is that what you were getting at?
Yes, more or less. I should have just put it that way but was afraid it sounded kind of dumb. I can't imagine reaching for the wrong position as I'm usually very aware of the gun, but thought i'd ask those with more experience. To be clear I wouldn't be switching every few days or anything, probably once or twice a month for IDPA.

JHC
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, more or less. I should have just put it that way but was afraid it sounded kind of dumb. I can't imagine reaching for the wrong position as I'm usually very aware of the gun, but thought i'd ask those with more experience. To be clear I wouldn't be switching every few days or anything, probably once or twice a month for IDPA.

I really don't think you would find this to present much problem for you since you are committed to working on this. I have had to do this because sometimes dress or activity demand I move my gun from IWB to AIWB (which I've been doing since the early '80's).

In fact, this reality meets concept is one reason why I've found the FIST #1 Kydex straight drop to be such a useful $45 holster. The clips of a half dozen of these I have used is exceptionally strong. Some cannot abide a clip. I cannot abide a paddle. I've wrung these out for many years and found them very serviceable. Todd pointed out to me a couple years ago on M4C that this design will not survive extreme grappling where an opponent may lift me up by the holster and I've no doubt that's true. This is not that sort of holster, agreed.

But the point is I've been carrying at my preferred strong side IWB and then became aware I was going to be seated in a position that could make printing more risky and I could very quickly move the holster to AIWB in seconds.

NickA
05-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you gentlemen, this all helps. Bottom line is the "carry" part of AIWB has a lot of appeal to me but I need to do some serious work to see how I feel about shooting from it before I completely switch. Overall I really like having the gun up front where it's more accessible and easier to check for printing, plus I have to do a fair amount of taking the gun on and off and that's much easier from appendix.