PDA

View Full Version : Oh Deer!

RoyGBiv
08-01-2013, 11:10 AM
This one (http://www.wisn.com/news/armed-agents-raid-animal-shelter-for-baby-deer/-/9373668/21272108/-/wvh1n7z/-/index.html) took the life of a baby... fawn.

"It was like a SWAT team," shelter employee Ray Schulze said.

Two weeks ago, Schulze was working in the barn at the Society of St. Francis on the Kenosha-Illinois border when a swarm of squad cars arrived and officers unloaded with a search warrant.

"(There were) nine DNR agents and four deputy sheriffs, and they were all armed to the teeth," Schulze said.

The focus of their search was a baby fawn brought there by an Illinois family worried she had been abandoned by her mother.

41magfan
08-01-2013, 01:47 PM
This one (http://www.wisn.com/news/armed-agents-raid-animal-shelter-for-baby-deer/-/9373668/21272108/-/wvh1n7z/-/index.html) took the life of a baby... fawn.

There’s a tendency in just about every organization to major in minor things when they can’t or won’t address issues of substance. This phenomenon is prevalent in law enforcement I’m afraid and stuff like this is fairly common.

LittleLebowski
08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Game wardens euthanizing a fawn.......

Tamara
08-01-2013, 03:19 PM
There’s a tendency in just about every organization to major in minor things when they can’t or won’t address issues of substance. This phenomenon is prevalent in law enforcement I’m afraid and stuff like this is fairly common.

Well, you know, they had all the poachers in Wisconsin rounded up already...

Tamara
08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Game wardens euthanizing a fawn.......

The more I think about it, the more I think that story fits this thread perfectly. Can anyone give me a convincing explanation why it took thirteen guys from at least two agencies, presumably all jocked up, to do a job that could have been handled by a guy in a Ranger Rick outfit with a clipboard and a .22?

Drang
08-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Obviously, "No Kill Animal Shelter" is code for Al Qaeda Base Camp, duh.

BaiHu
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I get it, but I don't get it, ya know :confused:

http://www.wisn.com/news/armed-agents-raid-animal-shelter-for-baby-deer/-/9373668/21272108/-/wvh1n7z/-/index.html

Fantastic use of assets, money, time, etc.

John Ralston
08-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah...wouldn't want to send a guy with a cage in the back of his truck...animal rescues are widely know for their violence against authority.

Nephrology
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah...wouldn't want to send a guy with a cage in the back of his truck...animal rescues are widely know for their violence against authority.

Especially those vicious and highly lucrative no-kill shelters.

Chuck Haggard
08-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Aren't we already talking about this one in another thread?

BaiHu
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Aren't we already talking about this one in another thread?

Maybe. I saw this yesterday, but didn't post it. Perhaps my title was just snazzier? :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Tamara
08-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Maybe. I saw this yesterday, but didn't post it. Perhaps my title was just snazzier? :p

You tell me (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9063-Armed-resident-killed-by-police-at-wrong-house&p=151818&viewfull=1#post151818).

BaiHu
08-02-2013, 07:30 PM
You tell me (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9063-Armed-resident-killed-by-police-at-wrong-house&p=151818&viewfull=1#post151818).

Yup, my title was snazzier and you hid it in another post :D

RoyGBiv
08-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I did not start this thread... the OP was made as a reply in the other thread referenced above.
Somebody with authority musta thought it was a good idea to give it it's own thread. Odd... in a "did I do this while I was PUI at 11:10 AM on a Thursday?" sorta way.

Tamara
08-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Incidentally, the chick who runs the shelter is apparently a kook who's more or less constantly at loggerheads with the local .gov. She is not, to put it bluntly, the most credible or uninterested of witnesses.

However, the only parts of this story that are not really in dispute involve the number of po-po and the fact that they showed up unannounced. The reason they didn't call ahead and tell her they were sending Ranger Rick by with a .22 to euthanize the deer was possibly so she wouldn't call the media and turn the deer shooting into a circus. If that was indeed their worry, the plan to avert it didn't work out so hot.

Drang
08-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Incidentally, the chick who runs the shelter is apparently a kook who's more or less constantly at loggerheads with the local .gov. She is not, to put it bluntly, the most credible or uninterested of witnesses.
Surprise, surprise.

However, the only parts of this story that are not really in dispute involve the number of po-po and the fact that they showed up unannounced. The reason they didn't call ahead and tell her they were sending Ranger Rick by with a .22 to euthanize the deer was possibly so she wouldn't call the media and turn the deer shooting into a circus. If that was indeed their worry, the plan to avert it didn't work out so hot.
And if Ranger Rick had shown up, unannounced, maybe with one deputy, I know I might have raised an eyebrow over shooting Giggles the Fawn on the spot, but I wouldn't have expected to see it posted about on several blogs, facespace, or boards.

Tamara
08-03-2013, 10:35 AM
The person who killed that deer is the ignorant suburbanite who found it, looked around and didn't spot the mama, and picked up the "abandoned" fawn to take it to the shelter.

Chuck Haggard
08-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm still at a loss as to why the fawn "WAS EVIL AND MUST BE DESTROYED !!!!!!!!!".

I know it wasn't evil, I just like that line.

But seriously, a fawn was a threat to society how?

Nephrology
08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm still at a loss as to why the fawn "WAS EVIL AND MUST BE DESTROYED !!!!!!!!!".

One more round towards justifying the expansion of next year's ammo budget.

Drang
08-03-2013, 08:56 PM

The justification is Chronic Wasting Disease, which is endemic in the area. There is supposedly no test for it, other than an autopsy.
Plus, what Tam said, the fawn may have been "too young to leave her mother." I dunno about that, I haven't seen that addressed in the articles I've seen.

ford.304
08-03-2013, 09:29 PM
The justification is Chronic Wasting Disease, which is endemic in the area. There is supposedly no test for it, other than an autopsy.
Plus, what Tam said, the fawn may have been "too young to leave her mother." I dunno about that, I haven't seen that addressed in the articles I've seen.

I know that there are several species where the local DNR reps don't even bother moving them, they euthanize them as soon as they get back to their office. Too many diseases, too expensive to test for them, and there's a million of them around anyway. Any raccoons and opossums are treated that way around here. Wouldn't surprise me if deer were the same.

Tamara
08-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I know that there are several species where the local DNR reps don't even bother moving them, they euthanize them as soon as they get back to their office. Too many diseases, too expensive to test for them, and there's a million of them around anyway. Any raccoons and opossums are treated that way around here. Wouldn't surprise me if deer were the same.

They could euthanize a few hundred more of the hoofed rats and it would be a good start.