PDA

View Full Version : Guy pays $150k fine in quarters.....b/c pennies wasn't feasible....

BaiHu
08-01-2013, 11:01 AM
MARION, Ill. (AP) — A southern Illinois businessman has paid off part of a court-ordered legal settlement with nearly four tons of quarters packed into dozens of bags.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/22990132/man-repays-insurance-money-with-4-tons-of-coins#ixzz2ajYaEXUb

Mitchell, Esq.
08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Why not respect for a nickle?

Corlissimo
08-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Four tons of quarters?

Yeah, that's probably about how many I dumped into the Asteroids, Missile Command, and Defender games during my HS years.

Damn! Mom was right... I shouldn't have "wasted" my money on turning those games over. I could be driving a really cool car, or own at last five more HKs, with that money. What an idiot! :banghead:

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.

John Ralston
08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Four tons of quarters?

Yeah, that's probably about how many I dumped into the Asteroids, Missile Command, and Defender games during my HS years.

Damn! Mom was right... I shouldn't have "wasted" my money on turning those games over. I could be driving a really cool car, or own at last five more HKs, with that money. What an idiot! :banghead:

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.

What's funny is that anyone under 35 doesn't have a clue what games you are talking about. Nobody plays arcade games any more, so there isn't much need to tell your kids to save their q's.

Corlissimo
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
What's funny is that anyone under 35 doesn't have a clue what games you are talking about. Nobody plays arcade games any more, so there isn't much need to tell your kids to save their q's.

Ain't that the truth!

Okay, so the kids now will be dumping their $$$ into PS3s & 4s, Xbox, or upgrading their gaming rigs (guilty) instead. The times have changed... A little. :)

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

will_1400
08-02-2013, 05:21 PM

And I'm a breathing counterexample to your theorem here. 24 years old and held the high scores in Asteroids, Missile Command, Pac-Man, Galaga, Breakout, and Centipede for 4 years running; my reign ended when the arcade was shut down.

Magic_Salad0892
08-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm 26, and I'm badass at Asteroids, and Space Invaders.

JAD
08-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Sentences rarely start, "I'm over 40, and I'm a badass..."

NickA
08-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Rusty Griswold: Hey, ya' got Pac Man?
Cousin Dale: No.
Rusty Griswold: Ya' got Space Invaders?
Cousin Dale: Nope.
Rusty Griswold: Ya' got Asteroids?
Cousin Dale: Naw, but my dad does. Can't even sit on the toilet some days.

jetfire
08-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Bullshit they don't, I'm 31 and I spent a fortune on arcade games growing up. It's those damn kids under 27...

will_1400
08-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Bullshit they don't, I'm 31 and I spent a fortune on arcade games growing up. It's those damn kids under 27...

Except guys like me and Magic Salad who are in our mid-20s...

LHS
08-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Newp. I blew wayyyyy too much of my chore money in the local arcades. Pac-Man, Centipede, Galaga... all the way up to Aliens (GREAT game, probably the best one ever made from that franchise), X-men, Lethal Enforcers (at least until Dad found it and hogged the game till he ran out of cash), Silent Scope... all great.

will_1400
08-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Newp. I blew wayyyyy too much of my chore money in the local arcades. Pac-Man, Centipede, Galaga... all the way up to Aliens (GREAT game, probably the best one ever made from that franchise), X-men, Lethal Enforcers (at least until Dad found it and hogged the game till he ran out of cash), Silent Scope... all great.

Area 51, Time Crisis, and Lethal Enforcers. I swear, I was the only kid in the arcade who wasn't trying to shoot "gangsta" on those games. And Silent Scope is another great one along with the Terminator 2 game (there was a similar game that was Aerosmith-themed where you were fighting a dystopian regime that had outlawed all music that was cheesy as kitten; your "grenade launcher" fired CDs, among other things). Plus you had Marvel vs Capcom and the Tekken series.

Magic_Salad0892
08-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Silent Scope, Time Crisis, and that Aerosmith games were my entire childhood/teens.

I'm going to hunt down a Silent Scope machine one of these days, and buy it.

LHS
08-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Any of you guys ever play "Lucky & Wild"? It was a combination gun game and driving game. One guy drove the car and shot, the other guy just shot. I had a buddy whose dad raced dirt-track stock cars and taught his son to drive like a bat out of hell, so he concentrated on driving and I ran both guns. We pwned that game.

will_1400
08-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Can't say that I have. Sounds like I'll need to track down that game and see if the machines still exist.

justintime
08-04-2013, 10:35 AM
And I'm a breathing counterexample to your theorem here. 24 years old and held the high scores in Asteroids, Missile Command, Pac-Man, Galaga, Breakout, and Centipede for 4 years running; my reign ended when the arcade was shut down.

Same I'm 24 and played all of them at the arcade or fudruckers lol

BenEnglish
08-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Early one morning over 30 years ago (I'm now retired), my bureau received a payment from a disgruntled citizen in the form of a pickup truck bed stacked with bags of pennies. The rear of the truck was sitting down on the bump stops and the headlights were pointed at the treetops. I have no idea how he managed to drive it into the office without serious problems but he did.

Having launched their petty scheme to take revenge on "The Man", the man and his wife who brought this in were beyond smug.

Procedure required all cash payments to be correctly counted twice in the presence of the person making the payment. The teller unit was small and underequipped with no coin counter. The manager of the teller unit put one employee at the front window, got approval to offer overtime to everyone, and booked a conference room to do the count.

Then everyone repaired to the conference room to start counting. Every time the citizens wanted a break, everyone left the room and it was locked till they got back. Every bag that didn't get two identical counts from two tellers got re-counted, twice.

By 2 PM the man's wife was berating him about his stupid idea. At about 10 PM that night, she spent 10 minutes screaming at him like a woman possessed, then got in their truck and drove away to their home more than 50 miles away out in the country. At about 3 AM, the count was finished.

Since we were located in a not-terribly-nice area, the teller manager waited for a cab to take the man home. I imagine that was one expensive taxi ride.