PDA

View Full Version : Home brew Hackathorn Sights?

North Ga Hillbilly
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
As of earlier today I have been unable to find Hackathorn sights for a G19 online. Brownells had them for large frame Glocks, but none for the standard frame. I have shot with them in the past and know they are what have worked best for me of the sights I've currently tried. Looking on brownells it looked like I could buy a front post and rear sight individually and, I would think, come out with the same parts, save a few bucks even. My main question is to the height I should buy for the front and rear to best replicate the Hackathorn sights. If someone knows where to find Hackathorns in stock, thatd be great, and if this idea is off base that'd be good to know too.

I've been lurking for a while, and have soaked up many ideas and drills that have already shown improvement in my shooting. Looking forward to learning more from everyone here.

-Greg

jlw
07-31-2013, 09:48 PM
As of earlier today I have been unable to find Hackathorn sights for a G19 online. Brownells had them for large frame Glocks, but none for the standard frame. I have shot with them in the past and know they are what have worked best for me of the sights I've currently tried. Looking on brownells it looked like I could buy a front post and rear sight individually and, I would think, come out with the same parts, save a few bucks even. My main question is to the height I should buy for the front and rear to best replicate the Hackathorn sights. If someone knows where to find Hackathorns in stock, thatd be great, and if this idea is off base that'd be good to know too.

I've been lurking for a while, and have soaked up many ideas and drills that have already shown improvement in my shooting. Looking forward to learning more from everyone here.

-Greg

GL-433:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-special-combinations-complete-night-sight-sets-for-glocks.html

North Ga Hillbilly
07-31-2013, 09:51 PM
GL-433:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-special-combinations-complete-night-sight-sets-for-glocks.html

That was quick, I greatly appreciate it.

-Greg

littlejerry
07-31-2013, 10:22 PM
I highly recommend ordering them. I have a set on a Gen4 19 and they are excellent.

I have a Warren front sight that I have painted orange. Despite trying numerous shades and clear coats from the craft store I can't get it to "pop" like the Ameriglo sight does. The orange paint they use has a certain retina burning look right the f*** here quality that I can't replicate.

Ga Shooter
08-01-2013, 05:54 AM
I may have a set I can sell to you for less than new. I will check this weekend and let you know.

JHC
08-01-2013, 06:59 AM

-Greg

They are a bit more expensive but Dawsonville Gun (mega store) stocks (and installs for you free) Trijicon HD sights. Similar to the Hack sight. I've owned both, prefer the HD but they are similar.

LittleLebowski
08-01-2013, 07:09 AM
I may have a set I can sell to you for less than new. I will check this weekend and let you know.

I'd be interested if he doesn't want them.

NickA
08-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Unless I'm missing something Ameriglo shows the set to be out of stock, but the individual front and rear as available (GL-212-ORC and GL-405L).

Mr_White
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM
They are a bit more expensive but Dawsonville Gun (mega store) stocks (and installs for you free) Trijicon HD sights. Similar to the Hack sight. I've owned both, prefer the HD but they are similar.

What do you like better about the HDs?

Up1911Fan
08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
U-notch or rear tritium?

DocGKR
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight

vaglocker
08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Brownells is now showing in stock for the G19 variant of the Hackathorns

JHC
08-01-2013, 02:52 PM
What do you like better about the HDs?

I observed pretty much the same thing Todd observed in trying out sights with his endurance G17. I had the Hack front first. I thought it was the greatest. I did observe that in bright light the orange which extended so high on the front post that it flared out the crisp square lines of the top of the post which was a factor in using the square post for tight shots. The HDs leave a little more metal above the top of the orange and in the brightest light it is still easy to use the square post top when I want too; which is a lot of the time.

That's mostly it. Secondary is that I like the somewhat tighter rear U notch vis a vis the pretty fat HD front. The bright front gives me all the fast acquisition of my old XS Big Dots so I don't find it helpful to go with .150 or wider rear notches for speed. Off the top of my head I'm guessing the HDs rear is about .140.

Thirdly I really like the 3 tritium dot performance of the HDs.

Mr_White
08-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I observed pretty much the same thing Todd observed in trying out sights with his endurance G17. I had the Hack front first. I thought it was the greatest. I did observe that in bright light the orange which extended so high on the front post that it flared out the crisp square lines of the top of the post which was a factor in using the square post for tight shots. The HDs leave a little more metal above the top of the orange and in the brightest light it is still easy to use the square post top when I want too; which is a lot of the time.

That's mostly it. Secondary is that I like the somewhat tighter rear U notch vis a vis the pretty fat HD front. The bright front gives me all the fast acquisition of my old XS Big Dots so I don't find it helpful to go with .150 or wider rear notches for speed. Off the top of my head I'm guessing the HDs rear is about .140.

Thirdly I really like the 3 tritium dot performance of the HDs.

Thank you!

North Ga Hillbilly
08-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

JHC, I thought about trying the HD's, I currently have my standard Glock NS front ring filled in orange, and the rear rings blacked out, an attempt at getting that eye catching front sight. It works decently well, but I have a hell of a time keeping my eyes on the front as well compared to a plain back sight. I've been meaning to swing by up there next time I go to the lake, but the schedule just hasnt lined up lately.

Ga Shooter, if you end up having a set you'd off load I'd be happy to send a check/ paypal.

Thanks Again

-Greg

Ga Shooter
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I have three sets. Pms sent.

Corlissimo
08-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I have a Warren front sight that I have painted orange. Despite trying numerous shades and clear coats from the craft store I can't get it to "pop" like the Ameriglo sight does. The orange paint they use has a certain retina burning look right the f*** here quality that I can't replicate.

Did you use a white base coat before applying the orange? This has worked for me when I've painted front sight posts. It produces that "pop" you described

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.

North Ga Hillbilly
08-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I have three sets. Pms sent.

Replied to

-Greg

North Ga Hillbilly
08-14-2013, 09:22 PM
I've got my sights on now, thank to Ga Shooter, and feel as confident with the sight picture as I remember. The one issue I'm having tho is that the sharp edges on the rear sight are tearing my concealment pudge to hell. I've read about people filing the edges, which is a process I've got no issue with, however I'm , wondering how people deal with the bare metal being exposed. I've thought of a few things, but expect keeping it on there might be a hard process.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

-Greg