PDA

View Full Version : Par Time for drawing your P'Kal

Doug
07-31-2013, 01:08 AM
Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how my Par Time would be for drawing my p'kal folder from my pocket standing to a ready position about chest high with the reverse grip.

I tried 2 starting positions. First with my thumb and forefinger touching the handle as if I was playing with my pocket. Second with my hands at my side hand outside the pocket.

With my hands in the pocket, thumb and forefinger I was at .4 to .3.

With my hands at my sides I was at .7. Also, this was more inconsistent, ie fumbling for the handle when I tried to push at speed. Note that when I first got it, I had practiced a lot with the trainer and was confident. This was never under the pressure of the timer, though.

Just sharing and not drawing any conclusions. Since it is not a fixed blade, I wanted just a frame of reference for the folder. I dont really see a practical purpose for the Par time other than this reference point and inducing some stress in the practice.

1slow
07-31-2013, 01:56 AM
Try par time to a throat or eye target stab on a lifesize head picture mounted on cardboard etc....

Steve S.
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM
How are you timing the draws - just setting a specific par time?

Not saying I doubt you - but 0.3 from concealed to deployed seems smoking fast. I've never timed my P'kal deployment times though, so I really wouldn't know one way or another.

lightning fast
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah I'd like to see times for deploying the knife and hitting a target (you can use a balloon if you want to use the timer without the PAR, kinda fun).

Doug
08-03-2013, 04:23 PM
How are you timing the draws - just setting a specific par time?

Not saying I doubt you - but 0.3 from concealed to deployed seems smoking fast. I've never timed my P'kal deployment times though, so I really wouldn't know one way or another.

Yes. I would keep lowering the PAR time until I couldnt beat it. As noted above, this was with my hand thumb and forefinger already pinched on the handle in a standing position.