PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I need a pellet gun in case of bear?

TR675
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Overheard in my local Academy five minutes ago:

"I'm going to Colorado with my friends and I need a pellet gun...I mean, I know a pellet gun won't protect me from a bear, but...do you think I need a pellet gun? There might be a bear, or we might want to hunt rabbits or squirrel. What's the best pellet gun for that?"

Poor clerk had zero idea what to say.

Nephrology
07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
The kind of pellet gun that propels a 1oz slug at ~1200 FPS I suppose.

Kyle Reese
07-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Maybe not for bear, but neat.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571

TGS
07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
There's lots of smart people out there today. I had my own encounter:

Him: "Taiwan is not China!"

Me: "Well, technically, it is. It has 'China' in it's official name. It's the Republic of China."

Him: "No! You idiot! China and Taiwan are two separate governments. They haven't been the same since the 1980s, when they didn't want to become Communist! But why am I talking to you about this!? What do you know, you don't even know what you're talking about."

Yeah. They're out in full force today. But, what do I know? Hell, for that matter, what did Chiang Kai-Shek and Mao Tse-tung know? After all, didn't they realize that whole civil war they fought happened in the 80s?

Nephrology
07-30-2013, 08:11 PM

How heavy are the projectiles? Looks like it could be approaching .38 Spl.... not sure what I'd hunt with a .38 SPL but it could certainly take down coyotes if you can put your shots where they need to go.

ToddG
07-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Do you think I need a pellet gun in case of bear?

I guess it could work under some circumstances but there are more effective calibers for committing suicide quickly and painlessly.

Tamara
07-30-2013, 08:53 PM

I'll be in my bunk. :o

Tamara
07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Hell, for that matter, what did Chiang Kai-Shek and Mao Tse-tung know? After all, didn't they realize that whole civil war they fought happened in the 80s?

Duh, the 1980s are when Mikhail Gorbachev brought down the Iron Curtain and freed all the people Reagan had been oppressing with his trade boycotts, like the Taiwanese!

Hatchetman
07-30-2013, 09:32 PM
I do believe the clerk missed a fine opportunity to sell a Taurus Judge. Handles snakes, too.

LHS
07-30-2013, 09:40 PM
How heavy are the projectiles? Looks like it could be approaching .38 Spl.... not sure what I'd hunt with a .38 SPL but it could certainly take down coyotes if you can put your shots where they need to go.

It seems to take normal .357 pistol bullets. It mentioned Nosler BTs and cast bullets in the description. If that thing could punch a 148gr wadcutter @ 800fps, it'd probably be OK for short-range varmint hunting. Too much of a rainbow trajectory for anything past 50 yards IMHO.

Nephrology
07-30-2013, 09:41 PM
It seems to take normal .357 pistol bullets. It mentioned Nosler BTs and cast bullets in the description. If that thing could punch a 148gr wadcutter @ 800fps, it'd probably be OK for short-range varmint hunting. Too much of a rainbow trajectory for anything past 50 yards IMHO.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Not sure what I'd actually hunt with it that wouldn't be better suited to a .22....

LHS
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking. Not sure what I'd actually hunt with it that wouldn't be better suited to a .22....

That was pretty much my thought as well.

TR675
07-31-2013, 09:08 AM
I do believe the clerk missed a fine opportunity to sell a Taurus Judge. Handles snakes, too.

Those things sell themselves.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-31-2013, 09:17 AM
I misread the thread title as "Do you think I need a pellet gun in a case of beer?"

Hmm...need, probably not, but I like where this is going.

TR675
07-31-2013, 09:24 AM
I misread the thread title as "Do you think I need a pellet gun in a case of beer?"

Hmm...need, probably not, but I like where this is going.

The answer to that question is "yes."