PDA

View Full Version : The Elusive Joseph's Pistol

Drew
05-13-2011, 12:33 AM
During our last rotation in the Arghandab District of Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, Chris K, a Platoon Leader I had the privilege to serve with, offered up the following definition:

The Elusive Joseph
(ih-loo-siv joh-zuf)
-noun
1. eluding clear perception or complete mental grasp; hard to express or define: an elusive concept.
2. (US) "Joe" a GI; soldier

Natural habitat: Often spotted in the food court of your local Army Post exchange.

Originates from: Everywhere.

Certain members of this species identified by: Over-sized, fitted, baseball cap with flat brim angled off center, fresh t-shirt emblazoned with a TAP-OUT logo, pants with odd-zippers and tan combat boots (when the money runs out).

Sometime derisively given sir-name of: Schmed-lap or Schmuckatelli.

Notes: While often plagued by poor life-mate selection and a predilection for "wilding," the Elusive Joseph exhibits exceptional bravery and duty performance while conducting military operations abroad. Routinely carrying excessive weight in an austere environment on little sleep, fueled by nicotine and caffeine, the Elusive Joseph pushes forward with a vigorous spirit when the fighting begins. And it is here that our respect and admiration for the Elusive Joseph really sinks in.

The Elusive Joseph will often question Those-who-Shoot as to the make and model of pistol he should acquire. Much to my chagrin just last week, the Elusive Joseph proudly declared that he had purchased a Taurus Judge with his hard-earned deployment savings - and then sought my approval.

So: The frag-throwing, plate-carrier wearing, gun-run talking, tourniquet-applying American Fighting Man asks you what type of weapon and equipment he should purchase for carry. Wanting to "set-him up for success," you thoughtfully consider how to respond. Remember - price is a factor but don't let him skimp if you think it is necessary. Also, remember the Elusive Joseph doesn't get to shoot the M9 pistols in garrison. And deployed, he will favor carrying more Gold and Red 40mm smoke than a pistol.

Requirements:
1) One pistol (Not a list - one) / Necessary kit
2) Additional considerations
3) Reasoning for all.

For example:
1. M&P 9mm - full size (the LE variant with 3 mags). I think M&P pistols offer an exceptional value as far as acceptable reliability and accuracy. Upgradeable with lasers and other mechanical enhancements.
2. Warren Tactical Sights. Love them. Worth the money.
3. Comp-Tac Minotaur Spartan Holster / double mag pouch. Decent holsters and you don't have to wait for a seasonal shift to receive.
4. Dollar for dollar match for pistol/kit on Walmart Ammo. The Elusive Joseph deserves to be a shooter - not just an owner. It starts with practice.
5. Bookmark pistol-training.com. Obligatory.

Standing by.

Thanks

Drew

Kyle Reese
05-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Joe should also strongly consider training with a reputable instructor.

TGS
05-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Hahahaha, this has to be one of the strangest ways to ask something I've ever read on the interwebs.

SecondsCount
05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I would take Joe to the range and let him shoot a variety of handguns. He may end up liking something different than the M&P and once he makes a choice on the firearm, I would let him do the research on it. Every gun has good and bad (some very bad) so let him find out for himself what they are.

Joe should also strongly consider training with a reputable instructor.

Agreed.