PDA

View Full Version : 3 o'clock carry or Small of the Back

BWT
07-27-2013, 01:56 PM
So...

Small blurb, I'm thinking about going back to small of the back carry or 3 o'clock carry with something such as the CCC looper. I do think AIWB is better, faster. Truth is I have two inguinal hernias, now they're going to be repaired, it's nothing hugely threatening at this point however, but I tried a CCC Shaggy and sold it to a fellow forum member (which at one time was the Holy Grail of AIWB holsters, I waited 11 months for mine to arrive, bought one for me brother and was very impressed with the quality. It appears the SME and Keeper are rapidly becoming the talk of the town here, but I'm $200 and a year and a half into trying to make this work, and I'm just unconvinced for my purposes) I've tried the Comptac AIWB holster, I just from a comfort/concern standpoint. I just don't think AIWB is suitable for me anymore. Maybe I just did it wrong for a year or two, and maybe two different AIWB holsters, I just struck out.

That being said out of a concern to not agitate the same area a pistol is carried, and still have good access to the pistol, is there a good holster beyond the Looper that most would recommend?

I have a Comptac Spartan that I carried my 1911 in when I carried one. I carry a Glock 17 Gen 4 now, and I'm happy with it.

Do any of you have a good suggestion on things to checkout as far as this is concerned?

Thanks and God Bless,

Brandon.

lightning fast
07-27-2013, 02:15 PM
I just want to caution against SOB carry. It's a very easy way to obtain spinal injuries.

waynes
07-27-2013, 06:17 PM
JMCustom kydex. Great design, affordable and comfortable. I carry a SigPro in one.

waynes
07-27-2013, 06:22 PM
BTW.....I agree with no SOB carry, read the treads on AIWB. You will heal from surgery. Should you decide to skip AWIB try 3:30-4:30. All up to you but think real hard about SOB.

Archimagirus
07-27-2013, 09:45 PM
I purchased a SME when the first preorder came up, and truth be told, I have never actually used it for AIWB carry. I generally use mine between 2 and 3 o'clock on my body and it still works awesome. I has totally been worth the money I spent on it, and got me to stop looking for a holster for the guns it carries.

BWT
07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I've thought about it. I was going to buy furniture this weekend, and something I do when going to buy something like that is I'll bring a lot of cash to haggle/deal. I holstered my Glock 17 AIWB, and I thought okay, let's get the gun positioned at exactly 12 o'clock. I did, and it was comfortable the first time I sat down, and bent at the waist, then it started chaffing, gouging and before I knew it, I just didn't care to have the gun on me anymore.

I'm kicking around the idea of 3 o'clock carry, and I'm thinking about possibly downsizing to a Glock 19. It's a shorter OAL and smaller package, but still 15 rounds. I've used the gun at the 3 o'clock position when shooting competitions and it's worked fine. Concealed carrying though, my holster isn't optimal for it, and the gun handle is too long.

I really appreciate the time you guys have considered it.

JAD
07-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Something I had to get used to -- or never learned the school solution for -- is that the degree of cant balanced with holster position that works best for shooting is not what works best for concealment. For shooting I prefer a straight drop holster at 3:00 or a 12 degree rake at 4:00. Either lets me grasp the gun without breaking my wrist much. What conceals on me, under a polo, even a 5" 1911, is 12-15 degrees at damn near 2:30, like barely IDPA legal. My grip is suboptimal, but the gun is gone in all contortions. There's probably a better way to do it.

justintime
07-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I had a hernia repair about 10 years ago. I still have pain from it from time to time which makes AIWB uncomfortable... But it wont damage anything, and if you velcro some soft padding it helps with printing and comfort.. at-least for me! From my experience the surgery spot will actually be pretty numb to the touch for a bit. That is actually why I liked aiwb more is it seems to take the pressure point off the front of my belt and moves it to the back.

Rich
08-14-2013, 05:28 AM
For me. I've found 4 inch 9mm / 40S&W double stacks carry and draw well at 3:00 with a SD or zero cant

I haven't found to many IWB holsters for this type of carry. But I'm pretty picky.

SOB never tried it. I consider it a no go from get go.

John Ralston
08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I would stay away from SOB - it is SLOW to access and you can unintentionally sweep others (generally not allowed in training environments either). As for injury - it is a possibility, but I often wonder how many have ever occurred from SOB Carry.

Kyle Reese
08-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I would stay away from SOB - it is SLOW to access and you can unintentionally sweep others (generally not allowed in training environments either). As for injury - it is a possibility, but I often wonder how many have ever occurred from SOB Carry.

Why even bother risking it when there are more efficient methods of carry available?

SOB carry looks sexy in action films, but I cannot think of any situation where I'd carry a handgun in this manner.

Chuck Haggard
08-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Not holsters, but I know of two coppers with jacked up backs from landing on cuff cases that were worn in the center of their backs, I assume that a gun being thicker would cause more injury than cuffs..

BWT
08-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Well, what about alternatives to AIWB. I comprehend the benefits of AIWB. That you have quicker access while seated, quicker draws, more control when in a scuffle, you can be more aware of it's positioning, etc. It's easier to access with either hand.

However, I'm trying to find alternatives to carry as it is painful for me first and foremost and I have two ingenuial hernias so for me it is a medical liability. ETA: Let me highlight this some, there are two tears in my abdominal wall, that needs to be surgically repaired in the groin area of operations. :cool: What is at risk with that long term or even emergency situation is those tears being made larger and a piece of intestine becoming stuck outside that tear. Which could be life threatening to myself. So carrying appendix gouges me in this area, it is not only uncomfortable but painful for my stomach (not a huge fatty either, so that's not valid), it is also prodding an area that for me could induce a life threatening situation. I plan to have surgery soon to correct this area. However, I still want to be gentle with those areas after recovery. So while I get it's got benefits, I have a very limited interest at this time of carrying AIWB, seeing as it could literally kill me.

Now maybe the way I was carrying was incorrect, but I gave it $200 in holsters and a year and a half with a Glock 17 and I am in unsatisfied.

My honest thoughts are I'm strongly considering making the move to a Gen 4 Glock 19 anyway and trying other holsters. Perhaps a third holster would improve this but unless you saw a drastic improvement over a CCC Shaggy, I am skeptical to buy a $100-150 Leather holster.

Any further suggestions?

ETA 2: Things that have been advised to me by my Surgeon are to avoid due to strain in that area when lifting. Being careful with coughing heavily, etc. this is why I am very cautious of adding pressure to that area through a method of carry that at times puts pressure or force on that area.

Chuck Haggard
08-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Brother, it sounds as though medically you may have issues with any IWB holster. If you carry at the standard 4 o'clock position with something like a Milt Sparks is the belt going to be putting pressure on the front of your abdomen?

My FIL has some pretty sever back issues, he ended up with a pancake type holster worn OWB on his strong side, carrying a G26 to keep the barrel short for concealment. He couldn't wear anything IWB because that put pressure on his belt line and caused issues, carrying OBW doesn't cause him problems.

BWT
08-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Brother, it sounds as though medically you may have issues with any IWB holster. If you carry at the standard 4 o'clock position with something like a Milt Sparks is the belt going to be putting pressure on the front of your abdomen?

My FIL has some pretty sever back issues, he ended up with a pancake type holster worn OWB on his strong side, carrying a G26 to keep the barrel short for concealment. He couldn't wear anything IWB because that put pressure on his belt line and caused issues, carrying OBW doesn't cause him problems.

It's not a huge problem right now, and it is repairable. I'm not a high risk but I am at risk. I might give AIWB one last shot after surgery, but I'm thinking a 4 o'clock maybe what I go back to.

Thank you sincerely for your input.

DocGKR
08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
I routinely carry AIWB at 1 o'clock, as well as IWB and OWB at 3 o'clock, these days typically using Fricke, Keepers, or CCC holsters--NEVER SOB.

If your anatomy, physiology, or medical condition precludes AIWB or if you just don't like it, don't think twice about the situation and move to a different form of carry. Try IWB and OWB in the 3-4 o'clock region using a quality holster. You might try a form fitting one like the Raven Phantom or Contact Concealment in Kydex or a good leather holster from someone that knows what they are doing, like Sparks, Alessi, etc... The new Safariland 5197 is inexpensive and might be worth looking at as well.

Rich
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
It's not a huge problem right now, and it is repairable. I'm not a high risk but I am at risk. I might give AIWB one last shot after surgery, but I'm thinking a 4 o'clock maybe what I go back to.

Thank you sincerely for your input.

Really think you should try 3:00 over 4

able to draw sitting/driving/eating out or standing

BTW I didn't start 3:00 until 2007

I was a 4 to 5 guy with a tilt.

Then it was suggested to me to try a SD at 3

I was amazed how well it work for me. didn't take to long to get use to it.

If IWB wont work for you try a pancake holster
They pull in the pistol pretty tight to your body.

Chuck Whitlock
08-15-2013, 04:33 PM
The new Safariland 5197 is inexpensive and might be worth looking at as well.

http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model5197.asp

That is a steal!

walkin' trails
08-17-2013, 06:39 PM
A few years back on a day with an ice storm in it, I left the office and stepped out off a curb which was coated with some very deceptive looking ice. My feet went out from under me and my back landed on the curb with a baby Glock sandwiched between my pelvis and the concrete curb. I was trying to carry the Glock as my bug in a J hook IWB just behind my left hip at about five o'clock but it managed to work it's way back on my belt just short of the base of the spine. Boy did it hurt and left a big lump. I have lower back problems anyway andthat accident ddidn't help. I now carry my BUG AIWB or ankle.

Kobalt60
08-18-2013, 08:40 PM
3 o'clock all day long. I carry my G23 in a Comptac Infidel Ultra, its like a slimmed down mtac, and while its not invisible, it is really comfortable.