PDA

View Full Version : Way too close to home..........

CCT125US
07-27-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/27/columbus-homicide-carjacking-may-be-linked-latest.html

Just got a call from a former student of mine to turn on the TV.

This is one of the places I get fuel. It is way too close to home.

"The Ohio State Highway Patrol told 10TV that a patrol unit had contact with the two suspects prior to the shooting at the truck stop.

According to a spokesperson for the OHP, troopers encountered the two walking on Interstate 70 near U.S. 42. The spokesperson said it appears that troopers gave them a ride to the truck stop.

That part of the incident is still under investigation."

WTF

Corlissimo
07-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Wonder how it will play for the trooper who gave them the ride to the TA truck stop. If it really happened that way that's gotta make him feel great.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

Le Français
07-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Wonder how it will play for the trooper who gave them the ride to the TA truck stop. If it really happened that way that's gotta make him feel great.

They should have been frisked prior to riding in the patrol car.

CCT125US
07-27-2013, 01:14 PM
They should have been frisked prior to riding in the patrol car.

They certainly should have been, and perhaps they were. The options I'm seeing are as follows. A) Frisk / no find, dudes steal a gun out of a parked car, B) frisk / miss, C) bad info all around from reporters.

ford.304
07-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Holy crap. I've been to that truck stop loads of times... scary stuff.

CCT125US
07-27-2013, 09:24 PM
According to the OSHP trooper investigation, the SGT. did not pat down the teens before he gave them a ride. He has been placed on adminstrative duty and is currently under investigation.

Sparks2112
07-28-2013, 07:45 AM
It's my understanding there has been a huge top down push in the OSHP lately to be 'more helpful'. I've seen at least 5 different troopers in the last week or two changing tires for motorists or putting gas in their cars.

Shame all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jlw
07-28-2013, 08:38 AM
For those of you saying the two should have been frisked, do you know what the court rulings are on the matter? In other words, what do the courts say must be present in order to frisk a person?

TGS
07-28-2013, 09:03 AM
For those of you saying the two should have been frisked, do you know what the court rulings are on the matter? In other words, what do the courts say must be present in order to frisk a person?

I personally don't imagine that getting a ride in a cop car is automatic reason to be frisked.

Given the prevailing anti-big brother attitude on this forum, I was kinda surprised to see that mentioned.

CCT125US
07-28-2013, 09:10 AM

I am honestly going from what I believe to be true based on interaction with friends in law enforcement, and the statements below made by OSP.

Text copied from link below:

"Lt. Anne Ralston of the OSP said standard operating procedure would be for a trooper to pat down anyone being given a ride and run their names through state databases. it would appear that wasn’t done early today."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/highway-patrol-on-lookout-for-armed-carjackers/nY5nF/

CCT125US
07-28-2013, 09:20 AM
I personally don't imagine that getting a ride in a cop car is automatic reason to be frisked.

Given the prevailing anti-big brother attitude on this forum, I was kinda surprised to see that mentioned.

If you are referring to my second post, it was mentioned simply because it went against what my own personal experiences have been. I wholeheartedly agree with the anti-big brother theme, but I also believe in officer safety. I in no way think that getting a pat down before getting a ride in a patrol car is some sort of infringement on my rights. Feel free to disagree.

41magfan
07-28-2013, 09:24 AM

I know what the Court rulings are regarding the use of evidence found subsequent to frisking and searching, but my safety trumps all that. Everyone that was put in my car - voluntarily or with a legal invitation - was frisked, searched and/or separated from any luggage or containers before they got in my car. My safety was paramount to any matter relating to the admissibility of evidence discovered in what later may be ruled to be a "bad search".

And besides, I didn't force anyone into being frisked or searched in these circumstances where RS or PC was lacking - it was consensual. If you didn't consent you didn't ride.

jlw
07-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I am honestly going from what I believe to be true based on interaction with friends in law enforcement, and the statements below made by OSP.

Text copied from link below:

"Lt. Anne Ralston of the OSP said standard operating procedure would be for a trooper to pat down anyone being given a ride and run their names through state databases. it would appear that wasn’t done early today."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/highway-patrol-on-lookout-for-armed-carjackers/nY5nF/

I know what the Court rulings are regarding the use of evidence found subsequent to frisking and searching, but my safety trumps all that. Everyone that was put in my car - voluntarily or with a legal invitation - was frisked, searched and/or separated from any luggage or containers before they got in my car. My safety was paramount to any matter relating to the admissibility of evidence discovered in what later may be ruled to be a "bad search".

And besides, I didn't force anyone into being frisked or searched in these circumstances where RS or PC was lacking - it was consensual. If you didn't consent you didn't ride.

What do the courts say when it comes down to standard practice/procedure versus court rulings?

CCT125US
07-28-2013, 09:36 AM
What do the courts say when it comes down to standard practice/procedure versus court rulings?

I guess we will see after the OHP investigation is complete.

And just to be clear, I am not blaming anyone other than the shooter(s).

41magfan
07-28-2013, 09:47 AM
I guess we will see after the OHP investigation is complete.

And just to be clear, I am not blaming anyone other than the shooter(s).

Ditto .... I’m not blaming or quarterbacking either – just making a comment regarding the appropriateness of frisking/searching folks you allow in a secure area like your patrol car.

The Courts have always given LEO’s great leeway in matters regarding officer safety so long as their actions are not arbitrary or discriminatory. These "safety searches" are exceptions to the rule i.e. most frisks or searches which require RS or PC.

JDM
07-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Ditto .... I’m not blaming or quarterbacking either – just making a comment regarding the appropriateness of frisking/searching folks you allow in a secure area like your patrol car.

If I was given a courtesy ride in a police car, I would fully expect a pat down before I was allowed to ride. In instances like this, the officer is effectively picking up a hitchhiker.

How many of us would allow a hitchhiker into our vehicles? I sure wouldn't.

Sunday
08-01-2013, 09:39 AM
The bad guy may not always appear to be bad.

secondstoryguy
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM

This was SOP at the department I worked at as well. An individual being transported voluntarily could be handcuffed but that was at officer discretion. It just makes sense...especially because most patrol car partitions are not bullet resistant.