PDA

View Full Version : Experience with decocker CZ's

Matt O
07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Anyone have any experience shooting decocker-equipped CZ's (e.g. 75 BD, SP01 Tactical, etc)? Does the decocker get in the way of the support hand palm? Is it a pain to avoid with the strong hand thumb?

tremiles
07-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I've got a P01 and I don't see any way the decocker could be inadvertently swiped with a thumbs forward grip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Archimagirus
07-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I switched to decocker CZ's a few years ago (since switched back, got tired of having to order custom parts, I went to platforms with larger aftermarket support). Almost all of the models I owned were decockers. In the shooting I did, I never ran into any problems when I would accidentally decock the gun. To be completely honest, I never ran the guns terrible hard through a class or anything like that. The part of the lever that you would push on is positioned quite a bit higher than most people grip the gun. If you are thinking about getting a CZ, here are some pieces of advice I have for you:

a. Don't judge the trigger the way the gun is out of the box. CZ's are notorious for needing to be broken in. I would not begin by detail stripping it and polishing parts, just work on your dry fire and the trigger with smooth out and get easier and better.
b. Probably the best magazines for the guns are the Mec-Gars, they are pretty reliable and general good stuff.
c. Be prepared to order custom holsters and wait for them. The P-07 and the Phantom have more support than they did when I still owned those guns, but by and large you are looking at custom jobs (other than Blade-Tech).
d. This may get me in trouble, I don't remember if it is against the rules or not, but check out czfirearms.us. The are people on that forum that have forgotten more about running those guns than I ever knew. Just a word of warning though, the mods can be pretty aggressive.
e. Be prepared to run a gun that is capable of more mechanical accuracy than you may be physically capable of. All of the models I owned, when I was on my game were tack drivers.

Hope that was helpful and sorry if I broken any rules. Mods if I did and you edit, just pm and let me know where I went wrong.

Matt O
07-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks, I'm pretty aware of the advantages and disadvantages of CZ's in general - I've just never had the chance to shoot one. I very much prefer an actual decocking lever on pistols as opposed to manually decocking them, but I wanted to check if the decocking lever got in the way of a standard thumbs forward grip. From the feedback so far, it appears that it would not impede the grip, so I guess I'll just have to see if I can find one nearby to test out.

JV_
07-24-2013, 05:23 PM
From the feedback so far, it appears that it would not impede the grip, so I guess I'll just have to see if I can find one nearby to test out.
I test drove one for a few range sessions. I would have bought the gun if it wasn't for my inability to hit the slide release with my strong hand thumb.

Matt O
07-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I test drove one for a few range sessions. I would have bought the gun if it wasn't for my inability to hit the slide release with my strong hand thumb.

Which one were you trying out - 75B, SP01, P01?

JV_
07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
The cz75bd

-Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slavex
07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
not a fan of the decocker versions. Once you sort out a solid way to decock, and don't be complacent about it, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the decocker versions. I've never accidentally decocked the gun, but the lever burns a hole in my hand pretty quick on long range sessions.

Matt O
07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
not a fan of the decocker versions. Once you sort out a solid way to decock, and don't be complacent about it, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the decocker versions. I've never accidentally decocked the gun, but the lever burns a hole in my hand pretty quick on long range sessions.

Thanks for the feedback Slavex. I would absolutely be open to a non-decocker gun for competition, but I think I'd prefer a decocker gun for carry (assuming, of course, one's grip can be somewhat interchangeable between the two setups).

Slavex
07-26-2013, 03:53 PM
The grip is the same, but still not sure why you're concerned about decocking a carry gun? Is because of where you'll be loading other than at a range?

Mr_White
07-26-2013, 03:57 PM
A number of trainers assert that a DA/SA gun should be decocked at certain specific times: before moving, before holstering, anytime a person is being held at gunpoint, anytime the gun is dismounted (not in firing position), etc.

With the CZ, one could just leave it in single action and engage the safety at those points though.

Matt O
07-26-2013, 04:16 PM
The grip is the same, but still not sure why you're concerned about decocking a carry gun? Is because of where you'll be loading other than at a range?

Yeah, I was thinking an ND during the load and make ready sequence at home might cause some consternation with the wife. I do rarely do load up at home as I don't use my carry gun for practice, but I'd be a tad bit nervous about that sequence without an appropriate backstop. I'll give it some thought though - either way I need to do a CZ test run to satisfy this itch.

Mr_White
07-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I was thinking an ND during the load and make ready sequence at home might cause some consternation with the wife. I do rarely do load up at home as I don't use my carry gun for practice, but I'd be a tad bit nervous about that sequence without an appropriate backstop. I'll give it some thought though - either way I need to do a CZ test run to satisfy this itch.

As it happens, I just borrowed and tried out someone's SP01 that didn't have a decocker. I was able to decock it on the range ok, but was extremely uncomfortable having to pull the trigger of a loaded gun to do something besides make it shoot. Didn't like it at all. No doubt my discomfort also comes from a background of training that says to virtually never decock a pistol that way (which of course assumes a decocking lever.)

Slavex
07-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I 100% understand the idea of decocking at home being an issue for some. I'd probably get a loading station (one of those bullet tube style ones) if I was in such a position. However, I'll admit, that as much as I love my CZs for competition shooting, if I was carrying (or when I've been places I could) it's my G19 that goes with me. That said, if I had only the Shadow to carry, I'd have no problem decocking it at home, I'd just be extra super careful, instead of just super careful like I am at the range. Hell even a couple sandbags (filled of course) to drive the muzzle into while decocking would be good enough.
As noted above, you can put the safety on if you need to, once the gun has been deployed.

JV_
07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd probably get a loading station (one of those bullet tube style ones) if I was in such a position.That would certainly minimize the damage, but for those living in high density housing (apt, condo, townhouse) I think an AD/ND in one of those units would still get you a visit from the police.

Slavex
07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
True, which is why I understand his wanting a decocker for his carry gun. Just throwing out options. (although the sand bag option is quieter than you'd think lol)

JAD
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I like CZs a lot, but don't happen to have one (despite endless bungroker searches for an affordable Sphinx). If I did, I would carry it cocked and locked, like every single other gun I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Archimagirus
07-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Insert thread drift.

One of the reasons my first handgun purchase was an USP, was because your could use the safety lever as a decocker or carry it cocked and locked. I figured I could start off decocking and then grow into cocked and locked as I became more competent and confident but I ended up in Glocks instead.

Matt O
07-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Yes, when it comes to a carry pistol, I think I (and my family/neighbors) would appreciate the use of a decocker. I've had this urge try out a CZ for quite some time now, particularly an SP-01, but of course we seem to be in the midst of a CZ drought. I think I need to work on the timing of these urges...:D

Slavex
07-28-2013, 12:43 AM
spent a little more time on a buddies SP01 tactical today. he's done a bunch of work to it with Cajun Gunworks parts, and it's smooth as hell. the decocker didn't actually bite me at all. Not sure what the difference is between this and other decockers I've used, but I was quite happy with how it felt.

joshs
07-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Matt,

I was the owner of the 75BD that JV almost bought. I didn't have any problems with the decocker, and, like you, I didn't want a safety version for carry. The trigger isn't very good out of the box, but I used the Cajun Gunworks parts and springs and I was happy with the results. If you are able to shoot a Sig without lock back problems, then the decocker on a CZ shouldn't give you any issues because of the similar locations of the respective levers on each pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Matt O
07-28-2013, 06:12 PM
If you are able to shoot a Sig without lock back problems, then the decocker on a CZ shouldn't give you any issues because of the similar locations of the respective levers on each pistol.

Awesome - good to know!

RBid
07-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I've got a couple thousand rounds on them, between two 75BDs. No issues to speak of. One of my favorite designs.

ToddG
07-29-2013, 09:10 AM
A number of trainers assert that a DA/SA gun should be decocked at certain specific times: before moving, before holstering, anytime a person is being held at gunpoint, anytime the gun is dismounted (not in firing position), etc.

Exactly. A DA/SA gun in SA mode tends to have a lighter (and sometimes shorter) trigger break than most SAO & SFA guns.

With the CZ, one could just leave it in single action and engage the safety at those points though.

As long as one took the time to practice that way. And if he did, then what's the benefit of running the gun DA first shot from the holster? I absolutely see the benefit of DA/SA guns. I see the benefit of SAO guns. Running one gun as both seems an unnecessary complication to me.

1986s4
07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I tend to agree with Todd. I had a selective DA/SA with safety CZ that I discovered I liked the SA feature best. I had it converted to SA only and never regretted it. It is now a competition only piece.