PDA

View Full Version : Cyanide Truck Hijacked in SAfrica....

BaiHu
07-24-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Hijacked-cyanide-truck-still-missing-20130724

BLR
07-24-2013, 09:26 AM
A truck full of KCN? So tons?

Uhhhhhhhh, yep. Someone has troubles.

ToddG
07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Two possibilities:

This was a planned, purposeful, coordinated attack to get significant quantity of KCN into evil hands for nefarious purposes.
This was a randomly selected truck hijacking (not uncommon in South Africa as I understand it) and some dudes pulled over to check out their heist, opened up a valve somewhere, and dropped dead.

Hopefully, it was #2.

Chuck Haggard
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
I have a friend who was a copper on one of their flying squads. He has some quality war stories.

He tells me that it is very common for trucks and armored cars to get jacked. The guys who go after cash transport have figured out that a good solid car can PIT an armored car.

I would imagine that anything that appears to be of value is at risk.

JHC
07-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I have a friend who was a copper on one of their flying squads. He has some quality war stories.

He tells me that it is very common for trucks and armored cars to get jacked. The guys who go after cash transport have figured out that a good solid car can PIT an armored car.

I would imagine that anything that appears to be of value is at risk.

There was a series of youtube vids of some team like that out on operations. I think one had them hiding in dump truck beds; another a guy driving and wielding into a raid. They were wild.

JV_
07-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Is this the same kind of Cyanide mixture that's used in gold mining?
(There's a bit of a gold boom in Africa right now...)

SecondsCount
07-24-2013, 11:39 AM
That is what I was thinking.

Maybe one of the competing refineries took it!?!

BLR
07-24-2013, 12:15 PM

It is.

The HCN mentioned (the gas) is the really dangerous stuff.

BigT
07-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Two possibilities:

This was a planned, purposeful, coordinated attack to get significant quantity of KCN into evil hands for nefarious purposes.
This was a randomly selected truck hijacking (not uncommon in South Africa as I understand it) and some dudes pulled over to check out their heist, opened up a valve somewhere, and dropped dead.

Hopefully, it was #2.

My money is on 2

BigT
07-24-2013, 02:20 PM

By right now you obviously mean the last hundred odd years:)

Apparently yeah it was Cyanide destined for a gold mine.

Chuck Haggard
07-24-2013, 06:53 PM
I met the guy I know at a week long training near DC when HK was doing a bunch of such training, Gene Zink was running the training division at that time.

My friend was shopping for extra mag pouches for his Safariland Cover6 vest during the class week. I wore the same model vest for entries, he wore it on "routine patrol". He and his partner carried R4s and whatever that locally made Beretta 92 copy is, with 35 round mags loaded in the rifles and two extra on their vests, pistols loaded and two extra mags for those as well. He had decided that he needed more ammo/mag pouches after he and his partner got into a fight during a run to a bank alarm with seven guys with AKs and an RPK. They had to GTFOOD after they ran out of rifle ammo and had to disengage with their pistols.

He tells that story like it's "One day at band camp..."

sarel.wagner
07-27-2013, 12:47 AM
The Beretta copy is the Vector Z88:
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12904:fact-file-z88&catid=79:fact-files&Itemid=159

Used to carry one way back in the late 80s when I used to work for the SA Police back then.

We have a lot of carjacking and trucks as well. Mostly the trucks are hijacked for the cargo. These guys are not well educated mostly, may not have known its toxic or even may have thought because its chemical someone my want to buy.

There are lots of crime syndicates around, so may even be syndicate with a ready market. The Police is mostly corrupt, a recent international survey found 83% of cops on the bribe.

Normal folks will try and avoid the cops and cop shops whenever they can. Lots of abuse by cops are reported on a daily basis on forums, on the news both radio and TV.

Rgrds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LHS
07-27-2013, 01:56 AM
The Beretta copy is the Vector Z88:
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12904:fact-file-z88&catid=79:fact-files&Itemid=159

Used to carry one way back in the late 80s when I used to work for the SA Police back then.

We have a lot of carjacking and trucks as well. Mostly the trucks are hijacked for the cargo. These guys are not well educated mostly, may not have known its toxic or even may have thought because its chemical someone my want to buy.

There are lots of crime syndicates around, so may even be syndicate with a ready market. The Police is mostly corrupt, a recent international survey found 83% of cops on the bribe.

Normal folks will try and avoid the cops and cop shops whenever they can. Lots of abuse by cops are reported on a daily basis on forums, on the news both radio and TV.

Rgrds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always kind of wanted one of the Z88s, just to add to my Beretta collection. I've never seen one for sale in the US, likely because of the apartheid-era trade restrictions.