PDA

View Full Version : First Full Day Carrying AIWB - Hmmm .... Not Very Comfy

GnG
07-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Carried for about 12 hours. Now I have a sore spot in the crease of my thigh/groin.

Does it get better?

Carrying a G26 in a JM Kydex (G17 length).

justintime
07-20-2013, 09:41 PM
I can't do the g17 aiwb without having the same problem. However I can very comfortably aiwb a g19 and g26. If im going to be standing all day I still go with my g17.

GJM
07-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Try a G19. (humor)

Maybe move the holster a smidge closer to centerline, around 12:30, and see if that helps.

YVK
07-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Carried for about 12 hours. Now I have a sore spot in the crease of my thigh/groin.

Does it get better?

Carrying a G26 in a JM Kydex (G17 length).

17 pushes it length wise for many. Some are ok with 34, 1911 or HK 45, but thats not a rule. I actually put my 17 on two days ago and immediately noticed the size, as comparing to P30.
Experiment with positioning, if no go, sell it and have Tony build you G19 length. I find it is perfectly fine length to stabilize the butt.

JAD
07-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Phrasing. And I would think you could band saw and belt sander it.

BobLoblaw
07-20-2013, 11:08 PM
I had the same experience with my 17 length extra tuck JMCK. Add a little Velcro (loop-side) to the spot where it's rubbing. Made a big difference for me.

GnG
07-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the advice folks.

Bobj22: It's more of a pressure point than a rub.

I really want AIWB to work for me. Love the benefits.

JV_
07-21-2013, 07:40 AM
You may also want to look at a different loop to change the ride height.

LittleLebowski
07-21-2013, 07:41 AM
As has been mentioned before, recommend getting it close to 12:00/12:30.

CCT125US
07-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I also found belt tension to be important. The rig can have a tendency to sit a bit lower with the weight of AIWB. Half a notch can make the difference.

Lon
07-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I have found that there's a "sweet spot" when I use my JM AIWB. As long as the holster is in that sweet spot, I can carry all day without any discomfort regardless of whether I'm sitting, standing, driving, whatever. A half inch in either direction and it gets uncomfortable fast.

My JM is for a P30 with the extra tuck and reverse cant. Regular height ride. When I wear it, the best spot for me is about 130-2 o'clock. It sits right in that crease when I sit. I got the split solid loop. Depending on the pants or shirts I wear, sometimes I have to position the pant loop between the spilt loops. I'd try a g19 length holster before I did away with AIWB.

imp1295
07-21-2013, 09:02 AM
As previously stated about belt tension, wearing your pants closer to your natural waist makes all the difference. Yes, this will likely change when your pants may settle in length. It's really a matter of your anatomical build - do you possses a longer or shorter torso etc.

For me, I'm a bit shorter torso'd, so I had to wear my pants closer to my natural waist.

YMMV

This is addition to the other suggestions. I will also agree that it really is something that you have to work with and find the correct location, making small incremental changes. But, once you do find the "sweet spot" it really doesn't compare to any other method of carry for my needs.

Tony Mayer
07-21-2013, 09:03 AM
GnG, give me a shout Monday morning and I can see if I can help you out. I think your still under the two week period so if you want to swap it for a 19 length no problem. Still call me either way at 775-686-8431. Thanks

GnG
07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
You may also want to look at a different loop to change the ride height.

Bring it up a bit huh....

GnG
07-21-2013, 09:19 AM
GnG, give me a shout Monday morning and I can see if I can help you out. I think your still under the two week period so if you want to swap it for a 19 length no problem. Still call me either way at 775-686-8431. Thanks

Will do Tony, thanks!

JHC
07-21-2013, 09:26 AM

GnG, if you asked my advice I'd say jump on this awesome service. You can tinker with sweet spots but I've used both and find the JM G19 length more forgiving than the 17 length as well. Different pants, belt loops and cover garments can make staying in a precise sweet spot a PIA.

GnG
07-21-2013, 09:56 AM
GnG, if you asked my advice I'd say jump on this awesome service. You can tinker with sweet spots but I've used both and find the JM G19 length more forgiving than the 17 length as well. Different pants, belt loops and cover garments can make staying in a precise sweet spot a PIA.

Will do. Mighty nice of Tony to chime in here.

Lon
07-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Tony is the man. I'd jump on that offer.

JV_
07-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Bring it up a bit huh....Yep, I definitely prefer a higher ride.

Kyle Reese
07-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Yep, I definitely prefer a higher ride.

Ditto.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

BoppaBear
07-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Take the opportunity to tweak it, swap it, etc., but in general it will get better. I had the same soreness initially when I started carrying AIWB, and then again when I started carrying my reload at 11 o'clock. I primarily carry a P30, but my sk does duty from mid-June to the end of August.

A few hours is one thing. All day, sitting, standing, and walking, will point out things that shorter sessions have not. It should get better though, the more you carry for longer periods.

Sigfan26
07-21-2013, 07:06 PM
I have not tried a JM holster yet (although I am tempted). Easiest way to find the sweet spot is to place the weapon in the holster AIWB at about 1 o'clock. Leave the snap loops undone. Sit down and move the holster to the most unobtrusive position.

TGS
07-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I've no other suggestions.

I'll just add my experience: AIWB can be very uncomfortable if the holster/gun isn't in the sweet spot. It might take a few different combinations to find that sweet spot. Even when you do, some days you might just have an "off" day, and find it to be uncomfortable/painful for a few hours. Then you make a seemingly inconsequential adjustment, all pain is relieved, and you wonder how it was ever so darn uncomfortable because now you can barely even notice it.

That's my experience. :)

Wendell
07-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Carried for about 12 hours. Now I have a sore spot in the crease of my thigh/groin. Does it get better? Carrying a G26 in a JM Kydex (G17 length).

You don't say what type of belt attachment and what type of belt...which matters, as do the size of the trousers (or shorts). On me, the Shaggy's fixed loop is easy to slide left or right on the belt, as needed, should you feel a pressure point, and it stays stable enough to enable a quick height adjustment - up or down - of the belt, provided that the trousers (or shorts) are not too restrictive to start with. Half an inch (one way or the other) can be huge. Originally, I'd ordered the quick clip and the snap loops as well, but I've never tried them; the fixed loop is that good. And, like everybody said, the G17 Shaggy is even better - being both more concealable and more comfortable - than the G19 Shaggy.

I love this holster.

EMC
07-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Even with the 19 length, I've gone through the "pressure point" soreness you describe when I first started wearing my JM. The extra tuck "bubble" does tend to concentrate pressure in one area. Keep in mind that the abdominal/groin area is pretty sensitive compared to the hip/butt. With time and incremental adjustments it becomes more comfortable. Works great for me now. I did ponder possibly sticking some foam tape over the extra tuck portion for awhile but it turned out to be unnecessary. Having a supportive stiff belt is a big help to prevent unwanted sagging.

Not HighSpeed
07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Even with the "sweet spot" found, I noticed that sometimes or long days I could still get rubbed wrong.

One trick I used was a little moleskin on the areas on the holster where it got uncomfortable when I first started carrying AIWB. Although, that was with a comptac that was not really intended for AIWB(while I waited for other holsters to be made). I am deployed so I don't remember which one, Infidel I think(Gosh darn interwebz and their idears). I found I had to do this with both my ACR's as well, especially where it made contact with my hip(I have bony hips), it would leave me raw some days.

I admit that with my Shaggy and with leather holsters, I did not need to do this.