PDA

View Full Version : M&P failure to fire w/o light primer strike?

dookie1481
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I had my first two M&P stoppages yesterday. Both were failures to fire; I could only find one of the rounds and it had no marks. I put it back into a mag and fired it.

Any idea what could cause this?

Kyle Reese
05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
How many rounds thru the weapon?

Are you using an OEM or aftermarket striker spring?

I had my first two M&P stoppages yesterday. Both were failures to fire; I could only find one of the rounds and it had no marks. I put it back into a mag and fired it.

Any idea what could cause this?

JV_
05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I would details strip the slide and look for a junk in the striker channel or broken striker.

dookie1481
05-11-2011, 01:51 PM
How many rounds thru the weapon?

Are you using an OEM or aftermarket striker spring?

About 4-5K. I failed to keep a log until recently.

Stock striker spring.

dookie1481
05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I would details strip the slide and look for a junk in the striker channel or broken striker.

I fired about 100 rounds after both stoppages, wouldn't a broker striker disable the weapon?

FWIW, I was planning on changing out the striker to a newer iteration later tonight.

JV_
05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
wouldn't a broker striker disable the weapon?Probably, but it could depend on where it broke. The typical break, from excessive dry firing, does disable the gun ... the leg breaks off.

I would definitely inspect the striker channel and the striker block when you've got it broken down. I'm not a fan of having to remove the rear sight to get the striker block out. I like to keep my sights fixed, but I would remove it in this case.

dookie1481
05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Probably, but it could depend on where it broke. The typical break does disable the gun, the leg breaks off.

I would definitely inspect the striker channel and the striker block when you've got it broken down.

Will do, thanks. I see what you mean, if it broke forward of the leg it could still work somewhat. That would be a pretty atypical break, methinks.

MEH
05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Did you notice if the striker fell? I'm betting not. Because no dimple it sounds like an M&P "dead trigger". A case where the sear fails to reset.

What sear? What size sear plunger?

SecondsCount
05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Take the striker out and clean the channel like JV said. When you have the striker out of the gun, check to make sure it is straight. The tip of the striker on my early M&P started to bend and would have a light strike about every 25 rounds.

I replaced it with the latest generation and have not had a problem since.

Savage Hands
05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Is your striker silver or black? The newest revision is silver in color, has slightly more mass, a stronger striker spring and change in geometry for more reliable ignition. It cured my light strikes with RWS ammo.

dookie1481
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Just changed my striker...it was fine. I put the new one in since I dry fire a bit and wanted the piece of mind it brings.

Savage Hands
05-12-2011, 02:44 PM
What color is the old one? And is the one in there the silver one now?

dookie1481
05-12-2011, 03:35 PM
What color is the old one? And is the one in there the silver one now?

Yeah I put the newer silver one in there. The old one was black.

Savage Hands
05-12-2011, 03:36 PM
You should be good then :cool:

MEH
05-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, the striker will be fine, but that won't fix the dead trigger issue that he described in the original post.

JV_
05-13-2011, 10:30 AM
but that won't fix the dead trigger issue that he described in the original post.Did I miss the clarification that the striker did or didn't fall?

Savage Hands
05-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Did I miss the clarification that the striker did or didn't fall?

Good question, I must have read over the original post too fast to ask.

MEH
05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
In his title he says "w/o light primer strike" then in the body he says "I could only find one of the rounds and it had no marks. I put it back into a mag and fired it."

No marks and with out light primer strikes indicates that the sear did not reset.

He never answered any of the questions posed to him in this thread so it's hard to know for sure, but that's my take.

TAP
05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree. Sounds like a dead trigger (no sear reset) to me if there were no marks on the primer.

Do you have any after market parts installed or is it stock?

dookie1481
05-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, I must have missed that one. To be honest, I was shooting Bill drills so I don't really remember. That sounds like it could be the issue. Any way to confirm? I was planning on putting a DCAEK in there soon; from what I've read, the sear plunger spring (?) remedies this problem, is that right?

dookie1481
05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I agree. Sounds like a dead trigger (no sear reset) to me if there were no marks on the primer.

Do you have any after market parts installed or is it stock?

No, but I did have a trigger job done by Dan Burwell a while ago.

Savage Hands
05-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Sorry, I must have missed that one. To be honest, I was shooting Bill drills so I don't really remember. That sounds like it could be the issue. Any way to confirm? I was planning on putting a DCAEK in there soon; from what I've read, the sear plunger spring (?) remedies this problem, is that right?

Having the sear modified to fit the MA plunger is a separate process that Apex offers.

MEH
05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
dookie,

Sometimes just replacing the original sear plunger spring will fix.

Sometimes the Apex sear plunger spring (smaller one) will fix.

Most times the modification of the sear housing block to accept the larger sear plunger and sear plunger spring will fix.

Personally, I had Apex mod all my SHBs.

dookie1481
05-15-2011, 05:25 PM
dookie,

Sometimes just replacing the original sear plunger spring will fix.

Sometimes the Apex sear plunger spring (smaller one) will fix.

Most times the modification of the sear housing block to accept the larger sear plunger and sear plunger spring will fix.

Personally, I had Apex mod all my SHBs.

Awesome, thanks.

Bratch
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Speed Shooter Specialties out of Georgia does the SHB conversion as well. I had them do all of mine a couple weeks ago. They use APEX spring and plungers after the drill out. Drill out price was the same as APEX but didn't include spring or plunger, not sure if APEX does or not.

I emailed SSS and APEX on the same day to ask about the work, SSS responded in about an hour APEX never did. Turn around time on the work was about 2 days.

I did order 2 of the APEX RAMs from SSS that I really like.

Bratch
05-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I received a reply from Apex today on the SHB conversion, they are estimating a 3 week turn around.

They did however ship my J-frame kit and RAMs within 18 hours of ordering yesterday.