PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X-300 vs. X-300 Ultra

HCM
07-19-2013, 07:42 PM
I know the 170 lumen X-300 has been replaced by the X-300 Ultra but the Ultra is slightly longer and will not fit many holsters for the X-300.

Does anyone else recall anything about surefire releasing a 300 lumen X-300 ?

Sorry if my search-fu is weak, just want to verify before I suck it up an buy new Kydex

justintime
07-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I know the 170 lumen X-300 has been replaced by the X-300 Ultra but the Ultra is slightly longer and will not fit many holsters for the X-300.

Does anyone else recall anything about surefire releasing a 300 lumen X-300 ?

Sorry if my search-fu is weak, just want to verify before I suck it up an buy new Kydex

that would be awesome if they did... I think that the x300u is superior in everyway except the most important one... safety! I have bought four holsters to fit the x300u and all of them allow me to easily pull the trigger while the gun is holstered. I think the head unit is just too big and creates a larger channel. I have basically decided its best use is for the carbine.

taadski
07-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I have 3 different Safarilands for Sig 226/220 and X300 combos (2 ALS/SLS versions and 1 SLS only version) and all three fit the 300U without modification. It's my understanding that with some pistols types, these holsters need to have the disk taken out of the bottom of the light portion to make the X300U fit but that most work unmodified. Just FWIW.

t

Savage Hands
07-19-2013, 11:36 PM
that would be awesome if they did... I think that the x300u is superior in everyway except the most important one... safety! I have bought four holsters to fit the x300u and all of them allow me to easily pull the trigger while the gun is holstered. I think the head unit is just too big and creates a larger channel. I have basically decided its best use is for the carbine.

Can you list the holsters?

justintime
07-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Can you list the holsters?

two were made by local kydex guys in San Antonio. The other two were a bravo rtt and the armadillo concealment holster. I also have both for the normal x300 without the same issue.

Steve S.
07-22-2013, 06:38 PM

?

The body is the same width as the X300. Whoever the makers are, I'd be checking for a rebate or warranty fix. There's no reason for that.

One little trick for buyers - the X300 will fit in MOST (I'm sure there's some holster companies out there doing weird molding) holsters made for the X300 Ultra. It's not an ideal fit, but worth considering if planning to upgrade to an Ultra in the future.

To the OP's question... I believe Surefire just increased their advertised lumen ratings on the X300 Standard when the Ultra came out. I've always heard Surefire under rated their Lumens. The newer X300s seem the same as the older ones. I always felt like the X300 was more lumens than originally advertised when compared to other WMLs.

But I'm not a "flashlight head"... so you might want to check the candle power forum to verify.

Steve S.
07-24-2013, 09:48 PM
two were made by local kydex guys in San Antonio. The other two were a bravo rtt and the armadillo concealment holster. I also have both for the normal x300 without the same issue.

My bad, just seen this - after I'd posted. If a holster company is specifically named - I try to stay out of the discussion.

I've heard the guy who is Armordillo is a good person, so I'm sure he will take care of you.

Make sure to report back that everything got taken care of. If you get stiffed, maybe I can try and rework them.

Nice lighting choice by the way.

justintime
07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
My bad, just seen this - after I'd posted. If a holster company is specifically named - I try to stay out of the discussion.

I've heard the guy who is Armordillo is a good person, so I'm sure he will take care of you.

Make sure to report back that everything got taken care of. If you get stiffed, maybe I can try and rework them.

Nice lighting choice by the way.

Yea I have not talked to armadillo yet as the holster honestly just doesn't work for me and It was my last purchase where I decided it must be a light issue over the holster makers. I am still waiting to hear back from bravo. Kinda lost the drive and just went back to concealing the x300.

Also your right in that the x300 does seem to fit the x300u holsters with a small loss of retention. Has not worked the other way around for me.

Sparks2112
07-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Yea I have not talked to armadillo yet as the holster honestly just doesn't work for me and It was my last purchase where I decided it must be a light issue over the holster makers. I am still waiting to hear back from bravo. Kinda lost the drive and just went back to concealing the x300.

Also your right in that the x300 does seem to fit the x300u holsters with a small loss of retention. Has not worked the other way around for me.

If the holsters are made for the x300u and allow you to get on the trigger, that's a major red neon trumpets blaring sign that its the holsters fault, not the light. As mentioned I'm going to keep quiet after this one post since we're talking about specific companies that aren't here to respond. You NEED to contact them though with the problem and allow them to make it right. Threads like this cost people business, let us know how they handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

98z28
07-25-2013, 08:12 AM

I've been able to reach the trigger on a holstered gun with every light bearing holster I've used, including Ravens and Safariland 6360's. All were for an M&Pf or G17 with X300.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a hole big enough to fit a light through that would keep a finger out.

Steve S.
07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
You NEED to contact them though with the problem and allow them to make it right. Threads like this cost people business, let us know how they handle it.

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, it's rarely the case that a customer doesn't take an issue to the Internet. In a way, it's good for consumers... but it's terrible on the business being discussed. A few bad reports online can ruin a company.

I've been able to reach the trigger on a holstered gun with every light bearing holster I've used, including Ravens and Safariland 6360's. All were for an M&Pf or G17 with X300.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a hole big enough to fit a light through that would keep a finger out.

There's a difference between being able to force a finger in and engage the trigger - since this wouldn't realistically happen on a draw. If the channel is wider as the OP has said than his X300 holsters by the same makers, than a mistake was made.

It's a fine line between clearing enough material to get a full firing grip (especially on undercut trigger guards) without clearing so much that a finger can engage the trigger.

It you can get a finger in without uncomfortably prying apart the mouth of a Kydex holster - then contact the maker. Unless you possess fingers the size of a toddler, something is wrong. Remember, most Kydex holsters are hand made and subject to human error. Right now, consistency and quality is what separates the 9 million Kydex makers that have come about recently.

As someone who runs a custom shop and works hard to maintain a high reputation of it - I'd want to know. Both the companies you listed are extremely reputable and would want the opportunity to take care of you. Safariland invented the Kydex holster, and RCS took the Kydex Custom Shop to new heights. I'd let them both know immediately about your issue.

pr1042
07-25-2013, 03:04 PM

Same here on a Raven holster and Safariland 6390/6379 for holsters made for X300 Ultra. It's a known issue for Safariland

HCM
07-25-2013, 03:05 PM
?

To the OP's question... I believe Surefire just increased their advertised lumen ratings on the X300 Standard when the Ultra came out. I've always heard Surefire under rated their Lumens. The newer X300s seem the same as the older ones. I always felt like the X300 was more lumens than originally advertised when compared to other WMLs.

But I'm not a "flashlight head"... so you might want to check the candle power forum to verify.

10-4 thank you/

theJanitor
07-25-2013, 06:40 PM
This is a Raven built for a 1911, dawson rail, x300u. it's almost impossible for me to stick my index finger in far enough to reach any part of the trigger. I know the gap looks big, but it's really not.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/photo1.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/grandprixboy/media/photo1.jpg.html)

justintime
07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
If the holsters are made for the x300u and allow you to get on the trigger, that's a major red neon trumpets blaring sign that its the holsters fault, not the light. As mentioned I'm going to keep quiet after this one post since we're talking about specific companies that aren't here to respond. You NEED to contact them though with the problem and allow them to make it right. Threads like this cost people business, let us know how they handle it.

Yea I was hesitant to list any names but since I have contacted bravo a few times and its been months while I still have an unsafe holster. again not sure its a holster issue as much of a light. my norm x300 holsters do the same thing just not as bad. Armadillo I posted because they are why I think it's a light fault nothing more. The whole x300 channel on that holster makes it very big and round but it fits tight. I can easily pull the trigger without even leveraging my finger against the ridge. I will contact them and see if it is defective... It just so happens to have the exact same basic opening dimensions as my other holsters.

justintime
07-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Yea I was hesitant to list any names but since I have contacted bravo a few times and its been months while I still have an unsafe holster. again not sure its a holster issue as much of a light. my norm x300 holsters do the same thing just not as bad. Armadillo I posted because they are why I think it's a light fault nothing more. While the opening of the armadillo is the same size... it covers the trigger on the sides deeper so from a holstered draw it would be impossible to have a ND unless there was some crazy debri. in order for the concept to work however it shows just how wide the channel has to be for the x300u. im really not trying to bash the armadillo holster lol. I think its much safer than my bravo expecially since its iwb. The whole x300 channel on that holster makes it very big and round but it fits tight..

On the bravo I duck and brush through thick brush A alot and the trigger just seems way to exposed. Even with the normal x300 I feel iffy owb with the gaps.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/davisjustin10/9B0FA583-ABED-4155-B711-3E8F11B03CE5-210-000000139B1653AE_zps5ece63b4.jpg
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/davisjustin10/C5B4D01B-F0C6-442C-976B-EDB6028EDAFD-210-000000139266FCB9_zps83ca953b.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/davisjustin10/37ED7D3E-0214-4156-834C-45D3E5FE91C4-210-0000001426AEB9A6_zps5eb88289.jpg

justintime
07-26-2013, 12:04 AM

Same.. Seems like there should be a solution to it :/ it does make me feel better when worn iwb. I'm much more worries about debri than my finger getting on the trigger.

Steve S.
07-26-2013, 03:10 AM
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/davisjustin10/9B0FA583-ABED-4155-B711-3E8F11B03CE5-210-000000139B1653AE_zps5ece63b4.jpg

I'm sorry, but this holster needs redone. You'll be doing the favor by contacting them. The X300U doesn't need a larger channel than the X300 - is the same width.

These are the only X300U pics I have on hand, but as you can see - there's no reason to have a wide channel - even with the DG Switch. The channel needs to be just as wide as the light body and hug tight. The mouth also has to be cut and finished properly in conjunction for everything to be kosher.

The 1911 holster above is a good example, especially considering how thin the 1911 trigger guard is.

I've never heard of a Safariland issue with the X300U. Not saying its untrue - but if there's a link I'd like to see it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/26/a8avy2yh.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/26/ebebe8a4.jpg

JMS
07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
It's been hashed out on LF quite a bit, in both holster-specific and light-specific threads. They can be found within the Stud Board, First Line Gear, and Low Light subforums.

The 300U will fit SF holsters for the 300, but the extra length of the 300U head CAN (not WILL) result in the thing bumping into the disc at the bottom of the light channel, perhaps making the gun stand apart of retaining. As that disc is only held in by friction, it's easily removed and the problem solved. If one is worried about losing that little extra layer of protection for the light's lens, one should replace the holster or stick with the regular 300.

They're responding well to the introduction of the300U, but if you use a DG switch that's been out for, like, CENTURIES, it's still about 50/50 that one'll have to dremel or heat-gun the stinking light channel so that the bloody thing fits, regardless of whether it's a 300 or 300U.

Steve S.
07-26-2013, 06:16 PM
It's been hashed out on LF quite a bit, in both holster-specific and light-specific threads. They can be found within the Stud Board, First Line Gear, and Low Light subforums.

The 300U will fit SF holsters for the 300, but the extra length of the 300U head CAN (not WILL) result in the thing bumping into the disc at the bottom of the light channel, perhaps making the gun stand apart of retaining. As that disc is only held in by friction, it's easily removed and the problem solved. If one is worried about losing that little extra layer of protection for the light's lens, one should replace the holster or stick with the regular 300.

They're responding well to the introduction of the300U, but if you use a DG switch that's been out for, like, CENTURIES, it's still about 50/50 that one'll have to dremel or heat-gun the stinking light channel so that the bloody thing fits, regardless of whether it's a 300 or 300U.

Thanks for the solid info. Time to dig up the Light Fighter login info.

The part about the DG switch is strange, but just goes to show that Kydex holsters are generally handmade and subject to human error - even those made by the big companies.

taadski
07-26-2013, 08:35 PM

I think this is partially a function, at least with Sariland's holsters, of concern for having a touch too much space and creating a problem with the ALS type mechanisms. Having whittled on a number of their light compatible duty holsters, I found that the tolerance is rather narrow between what will allow a smooth draw with the DG switch and still allow the ALS mechanism to function correctly retaining the pistol without the DG and light in place.

t