PDA

View Full Version : "Field" vs "Sporting" shotguns - what's the do-it-all version?

shootist26
07-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I just started to recreationally shoot trap and am also looking to get into other shotgun sports like skeet, sporting clays, and even some bird hunting in the future. Personally, due to space/training resources/priorities/money/etc I'd like to have one semi-auto shotgun to do it all.

I picked up a Beretta 391 "Field" model, but now have the opportunity to trade it in for a 391 "Sporting" model. Is there any downside or advantage to either when looking for that "do-it-all" shotgun? The field model has a lighter synthetic stock while the Sporting model has wood stock with a raised comb. Should I stick with my Field model or trade it in for the Sporting model?

Crews
07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Not a single thing wrong with using your "field" gun for sporting clays and whatever else you want to do with it.... There's only minor differences between the two, won't make a bit of difference. It certainly does help to make sure your gun fits you. It's pretty easy to do with your Beretta, you can put shims in and adjust the stock to your preferences. A gunsmith can help you with that...

Great gun, btw. If you're only going to have one shotgun, you picked one of the best!

rudy99
07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
To me a do-all shotgun is one that handles 3" shells and has inter-changeable chokes. That will allow you to do all type of shooting in my book. Especially by having choke tubes, as 3" shells may only be desirable for duck.

If weight is a primary difference between field and sporting, just know the heavier the gun, the less felt recoil. Also the heavier the gun, the less you will want to carry it in a field. Not a big deal if you are dove hunting and just sit in one spot all day, but if you are walking fields doing pheasant hunting, a heavier gun will obviously wear you out faster.

This is coming from the perspective of someone who used to shoot a good bit of skeet and 5-stand, as well as several seasons of dove hunting with a Remy 11-87.