PDA

View Full Version : Beginner program tips?

JeffJ
05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I've been getting serious about shooting for the last 6-7 months or so, started shooting IDPA matches about twice a month, trying to dry fire a couple times a week, and live fire once a week or so. I want to take some classes and think that I will start with the defensive handgun offerings at the gun range I go to, I know I'm not ready for AFHF yet but want to get there.

Having said all that, how do I organize my practice? For a begginner, what should I be focusing on? I don't want to start developing bad habits now, and then have to relearn fundamentals. FWIW - I'll shoot about 37-41 on Dot Torture at 3 yds (typically dropping every WHO shot:mad:) And I can run about 10.25 on the FAST (clean or with penalties it always seems to add up to right around there)

I'm really looking to step things up and would love some advice from you guys who have gotten there on how to build a decent program.

Thanks.

virginiatactical
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I've been getting serious about shooting for the last 6-7 months or so, started shooting IDPA matches about twice a month, trying to dry fire a couple times a week, and live fire once a week or so. I want to take some classes and think that I will start with the defensive handgun offerings at the gun range I go to, I know I'm not ready for AFHF yet but want to get there.

Having said all that, how do I organize my practice? For a begginner, what should I be focusing on? I don't want to start developing bad habits now, and then have to relearn fundamentals. FWIW - I'll shoot about 37-41 on Dot Torture at 3 yds (typically dropping every WHO shot:mad:) And I can run about 10.25 on the FAST (clean or with penalties it always seems to add up to right around there)

I'm really looking to step things up and would love some advice from you guys who have gotten there on how to build a decent program.

Thanks.

What is your goal? If you just want to improve you shooting techniques I would recommend making a practice schedule. There is a good book that has a good practice schedule out there. The book name is Perfect Practice: By Saul Kirsch (http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Practice-Saul-Kirsch/dp/B0012OTA04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305129689&sr=8-1)

I do believe that taking courses is the way to go to build your foundation. I would not recommend sticking to one source either. I would suggest you try out a myriad of courses and observe and take notes on the instruction.

I always approach my practices as goal orientated sessions. I figure out what I want to build on and make a set of goals. What is my long term goal .. what is my short term goal?

Try to plan your practices in advanced as well. I try very hard not to show up to the range and say to myself " ok Noel, what are we going to do today". I usually build up a training plan for myself and try to train to meet those training goals.

IF you are able .. I would also recommend getting a shooting partner. Not someone who you are going to talk to the entire time, but someone who can help you motivate you to show up to practice. Also vice versa. Having a shooting partner that you can both set goals together and make plans together can be very benefecial.

I also try very hard not to practice what I am good at. I feel like I have a really good reload, and double feed clearages. I tend not to practice reloading as much when I train myself, and same with double feeds. Even though I want to reinforce my abilities I also know that I can spend that time on Weak Hand shooting and get more out of my ammunition consumption. Try not to just throw rounds into the target. Spending 10 mins drawing two handed on a 10 inch circle at 3 yards is not exactly very challenging. Instead work on things that are more challenging to you, and not things that are quite easy for your skill level.

I would really recommend you keep your practice sessions short and simple. You don't want to over extend yourself, but you also don't want to spend too little time. If you feel like you are doing a great practice don't stop it until you are done, but I am the 1st person that will pack up his stuff if I am having a bad day on the range. There is no reason to sit there and reinforce negativity in my shooting.

If you want to get really serious about shooting consider a journal of your practices. Once again I recommend Saul Kirsch's book on perfect practice. It has some really good layouts and drills that you can do to improve your shooting techniques. There are also some programs out there electronically, but I personally prefer using the old school book and pen!

I also tell all my shooters that "shooting" is just a part of gun-fighting. I read all I can read about shooting and practice what I can, but its just part of it. I would recommend getting in shape or sustaining a good physical fitness level.

Hope this helps!

Dropkick
05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Hopefully these links will help answer some of your questions:

Where To Start by TCinVA
http://pistol-training.com/articles/where-to-start

AAR - How To Practice - Dec. 19, 2010
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?148-AAR-How-To-Practice-Dec.-19-2010

ToddG
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Between Noel's awesome post and the links provided by Dropkick, I cannot think of anything to add.

Plan, execute, assess, repeat.

jar
05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
(typically dropping every WHO shot:mad:)

Well, I think you found the first thing to focus on. Drills like DT and shooting matches are great for finding what you need to practice. Saul Kirsch's book "Thinking Practical Shooting" has a great section on what to practice. It's competition oriented, but you can apply the same concept to anything. Basically, make a chart of skills and rate them in both importance and your skill level at them from 1-10. For each skill, take 10-your skill level and multiply by importance. Whatever is the biggest number is where you need the most work.

JeffJ
05-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Guys
Thanks for all the input, I will be checking out that book soon (unfortunatly they don't have it for Kindle or I would have already gotten it.)

I think the thing that I am missing the most is not so much how to practice as what to practice. Hopefully Kirsch's book will address that, right now I am a bit overwhelmed by trying to improve my draw, reload, SHO, WHO, freestyle, splits, transitions, sight tracking, press outs, etc. etc. I really like the idea of charting my skills and my priorties and then building a program around that.

Anybody have any suggestions on which skills should be honed before focusing on others or is this just a personal thing?

agent-smith
05-11-2011, 03:59 PM
...right now I am a bit overwhelmed by trying to improve my draw, reload, SHO, WHO, freestyle, splits, transitions, sight tracking, press outs, etc. etc. I really like the idea of charting my skills and my priorties and then building a program around that.

Anybody have any suggestions on which skills should be honed before focusing on others or is this just a personal thing?

I don't have the pedigree as most on this board, but IMHO if you haven't mastered proper trigger control none of that other stuff is really going to matter.

Dropkick
05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Here's some more food for thought that might help:

SLG Mini-Course "Pistol Fundamentals"
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?874-SLG-Mini-Course&p=13722&viewfull=1#post13722

JeffJ
05-12-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't have the pedigree as most on this board, but IMHO if you haven't mastered proper trigger control none of that other stuff is really going to matter.

Absolutely, I feel good about what's happening with my right hand, but have a ways to go with my left - I don't dryfire everyday but try to get some in about 3 x weeks. I know that helped a lot with my right hand but I haven't focused enough on the left.

SmokeJumper
05-17-2011, 12:18 PM
After a disappointment at a recent training, I was in need of some review, this section of the forum was of assistance and I felt it pertinent to re-read this posting. Noel-sound advice in a short/simple outline to progress from and around and Dropkick-good/very useable info on the links provided.

Dropkick
05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Your welcome.

Another thing I forgot to mention / emphasize is the power of dry-fire practice sessions. It is a great way to keep the rust off in between live-fire sessions.

SmokeJumper
05-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Your welcome.

Another thing I forgot to mention / emphasize is the power of dry-fire practice sessions. It is a great way to keep the rust off in between live-fire sessions.

Yep this helps. I recently purchased some dummy rounds and have incorporated reloads into some dry fire. The hard part is finding the time to do it, I'm sure we all have that problem though.

gringop
05-18-2011, 08:17 PM
You already mentioned Dot Torture. That's a pretty comprehensive test of different skills. Practice what gives you trouble on it. Push the distance out further. Practice what gives you trouble now. Repeat.

Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition book is great for dryfire exercises. Between that and Kirsch’s Perfect Practice book, you will have a wide variety of drills to choose from.

Gringop

jslaker
05-21-2011, 01:27 AM
The more I shoot it, the more I really love dot torture. It kind of pushes your weaknesses to the forefront and forces you to deal with them.

CDS tactical
06-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Integrity counts.

Jay Cunningham
06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Dot torture is an incredible tool and the FAST is not only super fun to shoot but a reel learning experience.

I feel the same way about fishing.

jbylake
06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi, new here. Not much special about me, just a regular guy. But I have a question. I have a brother-in-law, who is a bit wierd about certain things. He's just getting involved in shooting, and I recommended numerous courses in the surrounding area. I think he's just shy and a bit insecure. I've tried to get him to the range, as much as possible, but herein lies the enigma.

He doesn't want to go to the range because he feels he'll embarrass himself. He won't go to the training classes because he thinks everyone will be much younger, and again emarrass himself. Yeah, I know, sounds crazy, but he's really a heck of a nice guy.

I have, went over and over with him, one on one concerning firearm safety, but that's not improving his shooting skills one bit.

I thought I'd buy him a book, but all of the books I've found are generally geared for people new to IDPA, IPSC and more advanced tactics.

I searched this site and that's basically what I found here.

Can anyone recommend a book for him that is aimed at the complete beginner?

I can say that he did complete and pass his CCW class, but only went to that due to it being absolutely mandatory, in order for him to CC.

I've been shooting since 1975 when I joined the military, although I don't concsider myself a "pro" or "expert" at anything, but I can teach him the fundementals. However, it goes back to getting him to the range, where his insecurities about his skills, and fear of embarrassment in front of skilled shooters, come back into play.

If anyone can recommend a good book with the basics for the beginner, without skipping directly to mind-set, drills and skills of competitive shooting, I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get him to join this site, but he's not real computer literate either. "Whew", what a challange.

Anyway, your help, reply, or PM, would be greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
J

agent-smith
06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Re: Book for Beginner

Have your friend look-up some trainers in your area, and find one that will do private lessons.

Dropkick
06-07-2011, 01:43 PM
The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob
http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Combat-Handgunnery/dp/0896895254

I found that book particularly informative when I was first starting out.

Maybe a DVD would be good too.