PDA

View Full Version : Nanny Bloomberg: Take The Stairs You Lazy Louts!!

BaiHu
07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
http://politicker.com/2013/07/bloombergs-latest-nanny-move-pushing-people-to-take-the-stairs/

“Whether you’re tall or short, fat or thin, you’ll be healthier and you’ll live longer if you’re more active. But the problem is we’ve been lulled into a sedentary lifestyle,” said Department of Design and Construction Commissioner David Burney at a Manhattan press conference at The New School. In too many buildings, the stairs are hard to find, kept locked, armed with alarms, or dark and windowless–making people afraid to use them, Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said. The programs are designed to change that, he said.

RoyGBiv
07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
I like Bloomy about as much as I would like to have genital warts, but making it easier to take the stairs is the least-terrible idea I've seen from The Nanny in quite a while.

BaiHu
07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I like Bloomy about as much as I would like to have genital warts, but making it easier to take the stairs is the least-terrible idea I've seen from The Nanny in quite a while.

Oh, I agree, but legislate signs encouraging people to use the stairs?? Like no one knows where the stairs are.....:confused:

THEY'RE NEXT TO THE GD ELEVATOR!! And have been since the genesis of the elevator...

JV_
07-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I often wish hotel stairs were more accessible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

RoyGBiv
07-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Oh, I agree, but legislate signs encouraging people to use the stairs?? Like no one knows where the stairs are.....:confused:

THEY'RE NEXT TO THE GD ELEVATOR!! And have been since the genesis of the elevator...

Like I said... "least-terrible".
Different than "good".

:D

BaiHu
07-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Like I said... "least-terrible".
Different than "good".

:D

True and I wasn't yelling at you, that was a generic yell to the nannies who think we can't find stairs.....btw, hotels probably don't want a lot of stair traffic b/c that is probably a) a good place for staff to get places quickly w/o waiting/clogging elevator space from guests and b) probably where bad stuff happens to good people and then they're somehow legally liable.

Josh Runkle
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Stairs in New York are based on building codes. In most cases, if the building is over 75 feet or so, it's considered a high-rise. Stairs in a high-rise are based on the ability to act as a fire exit. That is why they have doors enclosing them, etc, to prevent fire spread to the stairs to allow people to escape. I guarantee he will change this with his "feel good" attitude about walking, and at some point, a small fire will be a national disaster.

BaiHu
07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! Great point josh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RoyGBiv
07-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Stairs in New York are based on building codes. In most cases, if the building is over 75 feet or so, it's considered a high-rise. Stairs in a high-rise are based on the ability to act as a fire exit. That is why they have doors enclosing them, etc, to prevent fire spread to the stairs to allow people to escape. I guarantee he will change this with his "feel good" attitude about walking, and at some point, a small fire will be a national disaster.

Nanny B already has that covered with technology...

the use of hold-open devices on doors that would close automatically in case of an emergency

Josh Runkle
07-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Most stairwells like that are pressurized to keep smoke out of the stairwell. How can you pressurize the stairwell if the doors are open?

ToddG
07-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Most stairwells like that are pressurized to keep smoke out of the stairwell. How can you pressurize the stairwell if the doors are open?

If you saved up all the excess carbonation from the XL soft drinks that he wanted to outlaw... my God, we've cracked the code on his master plan!