PDA

View Full Version : Why stipple?

Slavex
07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
I see more and more pics of guys self stippling their guns (to various degrees of success) or sending them out to get it done professionally, and I have to ask, why? What advantage does stippling like this offer over say, grip tape? I've had grip tape on my G19 for about 4 years and it hasn't shifted or worn enough to need to be replaced. It provides all the benefits without, and this is my opinion, ruining your frame.

Jay Cunningham
07-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Because Facebook pics.

TigerStripe
07-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I personally don't see the need for stippling on a Glock, especially on a Gen3 or Gen4 unless grip angle work is done. There is much more need for either grip tape or stippling on an M&P. My guess on the why of stippling is it makes one's pistol "custom" and therefore better than a stock an anyone with $500 gun.

WDW
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Because its a permanent mod & can be done exactly how the owner wants. It's true, a lot of folks really kitten up their frames to the point of making me cringe. But, a lot of others turn out real nice. It def detracts from the resale/trade value but I guess if it's a gun you plan on keeping, it doesn't matter.

Me personally, I use grip tape. I do stipple periodically, but only on stuff that's replaceable like Sig or Beretta grips. The little decal kits they sell for Glocks work great IMO.

I guess for a lot, it's for the same reason they put titanium strikers & punisher back plates in Glocks...the Internet told them to.

orionz06
07-16-2013, 09:41 PM
I have had both and shot both. Grip tape works and in most cases for me seemed to work a little better. 3M stair tread tape is about perfect and doesn't "ruin" the gun. All that said a well stippled gun looks cool as kitten and who doesn't like cool kitten? Everyone, even the most uptight "leave it stock" type still likes guns that they think look cool.

YVK
07-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Four reasons that I can see:

1. "Cover-up" of additional work, such as finger groove and hump removal on Glocks.
2. Removable grip panels, i.e. no permanent changes like on Beretta or 1911
3. Desire for specific levels of traction.
4. What Jay said.

Does grip tape add anything notable to circumference?

Tamara
07-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Because Facebook pics.

This. Duh.

Cookie Monster
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Have two stippled Glocks.

I don't see it as ruining the frame. The gun only has value as much as I can run it well. I run the stippled gun better but I am sweaty guy.

I don't want the learning curve so I sent the guns out.

I don't plan on selling the guns.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

DocGKR
07-16-2013, 11:04 PM
I've tried a variety of methods to improve traction, including inner tubes and grip tape. I have come to strongly prefer stippling on polymer frame pistols. I don't use Facebook. Both Glocks and M&P's work much better for me when stippled; recoil control is substantially enhanced. Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands--stippling works. The only pistols I have not felt a need to stipple are the RTF2 Glocks--those worked pretty well right out of the box.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/MampP9c_zps3fb9d592.jpg
http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/1214443487371.jpg
http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/122312317571.jpg

pdb
07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
I had my gen3 G19 stippled because the finger grooves were driving me batty:

http://i.imgur.com/vzMcAl.jpg?1

I also had the guy undercut the trigger guard and that's worked out good for me.

Also the gen 3 frame on my G19 had worn smooth enough that it would torque in my hands when they were sweaty or sunscreened. I probably wouldn't bother having a Gen4 or RTF stippled, but I'd still want the finger grooves filed off.

MD7305
07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
I have one stippled pistol, Glock 22 G4. I don't find it necessary but after removing the finger groves, under cutting the trigger guard, and chopping it to accept G23 mags it helped "dress up" the "improvements" I made to my gun. After carrying and shooting if post-stippled/modified I must admit I prefer they way it feels, BUT it's not mandatory and was more of an experiment.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-17-2013, 12:49 AM
My G17/19 is stippled...it's no grippier than grip tape (less actually) but:

A) the goal isn't max grip, it's the right balance of grip and abrasion

B) once you start fixing the issues with the Glock frame (i.e. trigger guard, finger grooves, and nazi hump) you've made the gun better and wrecked the resale value anyway. For this reason I like to buy used glocks where somebody's already done some of these. Ideally not very well, and not very deeply. Then I can buy the guns really cheap, do the mods properly, and let someone else take the hit on the value.

But in general I do agree with the facebook pics thing.

Nik the Greek
07-17-2013, 01:09 AM
It might chafe some tummies, but I love how secure the P30's grip texture is. No stippling required.

Odin Bravo One
07-17-2013, 01:44 AM
I've tried a variety of methods to improve traction, including inner tubes and grip tape.

Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands--stippling works.

This.

It started with a few of the cool kids doing it, and like so much of the other Junior High-ish BS in the gun world, others followed suit without bothering to assess WHY the KKC did it in the first place. The KKC did it, and if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for Ken the accountant. For professionals who carry their guns in a wide variety of environments, there are not many things that will give the same performance as a quality stippling job.

I have a few pistols that have stippling. I use to use grip tape, but when it came to make the choice between a soldering iron and grip tape, I had to seriously consider if grip tape will even stay on. Most of the time it doesn't in my environments........hot, humid, & wet. My guns, especially ye ol' pistol need a cleaning after carry. Grip tape just doesn't stand up to repeated deep cleanings.

Slavex
07-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the replies, certainly clarifies the reasoning. I've never had grip tape come off in all the years of shooting I've done, other than when using brake cleaner to clean the frame and it dissolves the glue. Rain, mud, sand etc have never affected it. However this is no where near as important as people who use the guns for work. I'd never thought about using it to cover up the removal of the finger grooves on Glocks either. On guns with removable grips it obviously won't hurt the gun, not that all stippling does. I have seen where guys wreck the frame though, being a bit too aggressive with the soldering iron, punching holes right through.
When done right, it doesn't look too awful, but man, you seldom see ones done right. (yes I know looks don't matter, functionality does)

Sparks2112
07-17-2013, 05:57 AM
(yes I know looks don't matter, functionality does)

If you really mess one up you can always give it away to a buddy.

Not that I've done that...

JV_
07-17-2013, 06:08 AM
My grip tape experiences aren't as positive as yours, they've all shifted and I end up removing them in the middle of a range session and/or match.

orionz06
07-17-2013, 06:13 AM
3M stair tread tape for me has lasted just fine. It also increased the girth of the grip noticeably, but positively for me as well. Brake spray and Simple Green ate generally what I'll use to clean. Sometimes a dish wand in the sink with Dawn too.

Tamara
07-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands...

...or just, you know, some sweat and sunscreen.

rawr! ;)

I don't think anybody was questioning the utility of a non-slippery grip. (Personally, I was just wishing for some stippling at gun school a couple weeks ago. Hot and sweaty and Coppertone Sport all over my hands and "This never happened with 20 lpi checkering! You kids get offa my lawn!" :D )

orionz06
07-17-2013, 06:50 AM
...or just, you know, some sweat and sunscreen.

rawr! ;)

I don't think anybody was questioning the utility of a non-slippery grip. (Personally, I was just wishing for some stippling at gun school a couple weeks ago. Hot and sweaty and Coppertone Sport all over my hands and "This never happened with 20 lpi checkering! You kids get offa my lawn!" :D )

Interesting to see you note checkering. The 1911 guys, or gals, never get scoffed at for checkering and doing other work to their boasters, why is it taken so differently when it's a Glock?

JAD
07-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Because stippling Glocks makes ugly uglier, while checkering 1911s makes pretty prettier? Because glock stippling is done by Hank with a hot match, and checkering is done by Heirloom with a hundred dollar file?

Do you offer a basketweave option for your Kydex holsters?

Beats me. My 1911s are mostly stippled.

TCinVA
07-17-2013, 07:18 AM
I've always had good luck with 3M Safety tape. (designed to adhere to stairs and ladders and take impressive levels of abuse) The bit I've had on my P30 only recently peeled off after being positively affixed since I bought the pistol and its twin some time ago. It survived a whole bunch of range sessions from the casual to the sort where we expend 800-1,000 rounds, as well as a number of classes.

Of course, the harshest conditions my pistol typically faces is living inside my waistband as I go about normal life. Heat and humidity occur, but not the sort of heat you get in the desert climes or humidity you get in tropical locales. No real exposure to salt water (other than sweat), etc.

I can see where somebody who goes those sorts of places toting a handgun might find stippling to be vastly superior to the 3M Safety Tape that I use. Cosmetically it's certainly preferable to grip tape, and a stipple job typically doesn't irritate skin the way that gluing sandpaper to your gun does.

My big beef with stippling is that it's often a lot of effort in the wrong place. I usually don't have a problem holding on to, say, a Glock with my strong hand. The place I need extra traction is where the base of my left thumb clamps down on the grip, usually just below the slide release. I don't usually need the whole grip done.

I also find that it's difficult to find the balance I want between the aggressiveness of the texturing and not bleeding. Usually when I handle stippled guns I find that it's not aggressive enough in the spots I want extra traction and it's too aggressive where I don't really need extra assistance. I see people who grip tape the entire grip and while I'm good with it if they really know what they're doing, often I find that they haven't actually tried shooting it that way for more than a couple of hundred rounds. If you fire more than that and are really working to control recoil it's going to draw blood.

FWIW, I don't like checkering on the frontstrap or backstrap of a 1911, either as I find it just tears my hands up over longer shooting sessions...to the point of drawing blood when the round count tops, say, 800 or so in a short period. I attended a few handgun classes with my Les Baer where the round count topped 3,500 rounds in 5 days of training and I always stood out because of the mummy-medical tape job I had to do on my right hand to keep shooting.

Some of the better guys with plastic are turning out some fabulous work that actually enhances the look of the pistol, in my opinion...and they've expanded into other mods that probably serve shooters well. Boresight, for example, is now doing a really nice scallop of the frame around the mag release button which helps get the benefits of an extended mag release without actually extending the mag release.

TCinVA
07-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Interesting to see you note checkering. The 1911 guys, or gals, never get scoffed at for checkering and doing other work to their boasters, why is it taken so differently when it's a Glock?

Some of the "stipple" jobs I've seen look like they coated the frame in bacon fat and threw it into a bear cage. 1911's everywhere fear the Dremel. Plastic guns everywhere look under their bed at night to see if the soldering iron will come out to bite.

Slavex
07-17-2013, 07:25 AM
lol, nice

I find for Glocks the best grip tape is the pre-cut stuff from whatshisname Eric something or another. For my CZs I simply use skateboard tape. I also trap it under the grips so it can't slide around, prior to learning that trick I did have some slide around a bit on the front strap.
Has anyone ever tried getting warranty service done to a stippled gun? Or even better, tested reliability of a stippled (and finger grooves removed) gun vs a stock gun???

Tamara
07-17-2013, 07:31 AM
The 1911 guys, or gals, never get scoffed at for checkering and doing other work to their boasters...

On what planet?

Dude, go see the scorn heaped by manly-man milsurp original 1911 shooters on "ducktails" and "ski jumps" and "If it was good enough for Sgt. York!"

I have noted elsewhere, though, that the Glock allows for "the democratization of f***-ups (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2012/03/more-gun-content.html)".

It used to be that you needed a file, an Arkansas stone, maybe a Dremel, and a fair amount of mechanical ineptitude to mess up your heater. Now any yob with a punch, a YouTube video, and enough manual dexterity to tie his own shoes can shoot himself in the grape with a runaway gun. You can buy drop-in mistakes; no gunsmith fitting required!

Tamara
07-17-2013, 07:42 AM
FWIW, I don't like checkering on the frontstrap or backstrap of a 1911, either as I find it just tears my hands up over longer shooting sessions...to the point of drawing blood when the round count tops, say, 800 or so in a short period. I attended a few handgun classes with my Les Baer where the round count topped 3,500 rounds in 5 days of training and I always stood out because of the mummy-medical tape job I had to do on my right hand to keep shooting.

An environment where you shoot 3,500 rounds in 5 days with hundreds of presentations is a highly artificial environment for a pistol. Heck, by day three of a relatively low-round-count Awerbuck pistol class I had two fingers taped from 20lpi checkering. But that's not why the checkering was there.

(I once shot my 30lpi gun at AFHF and, while my thumb was getting a raw spot from reapplying the safety, I don't recollect that the checkering had me needing bandaids after two days.)

ToddG
07-17-2013, 07:51 AM
I've shot 1,000+ rounds in a day with my SACS/Warren gun checkered 25lpi front & back. It didn't bother me nearly as much as a couple hundred rounds a day when the gun was new and my hands were getting used to the texture. Now I barely even notice it.

When I've tried grip tape in the past it wasn't my cup of tea. Most tape didn't adhere well enough for the amount of shooting I was doing, and the stuff that really stuck in place over the long haul added thickness I didn't want or need.

The idea of stippling polymer frames never attracted me as it just seemed wrong to modify the frame permanently. There never seemed to be a lot of difficulty involved in keeping a good grip on the guns as-is. But now that I've been using the VCD grips (http://vcdgrips.com) on my 1911 I've got to admit the benefit of an ultra-grippy surface is easier to appreciate.

LittleLebowski
07-17-2013, 07:55 AM
One thing keeping me back from stippling the plastic fantastics are the rumors about that making the weapon not legal for certain competition disciplines. I use grip tape and know full well its problems.

TCinVA
07-17-2013, 07:56 AM
An environment where you shoot 3,500 rounds in 5 days with hundreds of presentations is a highly artificial environment for a pistol.

Of course...but that's the environment where I used the gun most. Conversely the sort of dude who goes to the tropics to send bad guys to their maker is going to use his pistol relatively little but perhaps in less than ideal circumstances...so I get why he might want his 1911 checkered.

The aggressiveness of the grip people may want on their gun (once they know what they're doing, anyway) is going to be highly variable depending on their use, physiology, etc. I tend to grip the gun pretty hard and I probably have a little bit more grip strength than you do, so I'm really driving the rough surfaces into my skin and when the gun moves the skin is going to give faster than anything else. Hence the bleeding. Even with pronounced callouses on my hands from the areas I use tape on I still tend to find my skin weeping blood at the end of an extended range session. Now if I was shooting primarily with gloves on I'd want the grip so aggressive that it would shred my gloves so I could ensure the purchase I needed to control the gun properly.

I've shot 1,000+ rounds in a day with my SACS/Warren gun checkered 25lpi front & back. It didn't bother me nearly as much as a couple hundred rounds a day when the gun was new and my hands were getting used to the texture. Now I barely even notice it.

Enough time spent on a 1911 with checkering may have gotten you used to it to the point where you won't notice it when/if you move up to shooting a .45 ACP (similarly configured) with hardball or equivalent. Or you may get 1,000 rounds into a heavier recoiling pistol and think "Ow."

ToddG
07-17-2013, 08:03 AM
One thing keeping me back from stippling the plastic fantastics are the rumors about that making the weapon not legal for certain competition disciplines.

Are you actually planning to shoot any such matches? Keeping your gun legal for a game you're not going to play doesn't make a lot of sense. And if you're willing to shoot in a less "stock" division, stippling is legal in IDPA ESP and USPSA Limited/L10.

Enough time spent on a 1911 with checkering may have gotten you used to it to the point where you won't notice it when/if you move up to shooting a .45 ACP (similarly configured) with hardball or equivalent. Or you may get 1,000 rounds into it and think "Ow."

Fair point.

JHC
07-17-2013, 08:19 AM
I've tried a variety of methods to improve traction, including inner tubes and grip tape. I have come to strongly prefer stippling on polymer frame pistols. I don't use Facebook. Both Glocks and M&P's work much better for me when stippled; recoil control is substantially enhanced. Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands--stippling works. The only pistols I have not felt a need to stipple are the RTF2 Glocks--those worked pretty well right out of the box.

[/IMG]

I've really gotten addicted to high traction. The Gen 4's just get by but add rain or a lot of sweat and I'm not happy. RTF2 is as good as I've found, I'd buy a RTF5 that was worse/better. Maybe if I could close a CoC #3 (or #2) I'd say differently.

If I were stippling I think I would just do it on the front and back strap of the frame. I "think" that's the key anchor points for me. But while it didn't take many beers for me to Krylon my N4 Recce, not sure I can hold enough down to put the hot iron to one of my frames.

Al T.
07-17-2013, 08:47 AM
If I were stippling I think I would just do it on the front and back strap of the frame

That's what I did. I'll bring the G17 I stippled with me as I've got to be in the ATL later this week.

Odin Bravo One
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM

Form follows function, and I seem to shoot that gun ok.........ugly is as ugly performs. Damn those sights are LOUD though!

JonInWA
07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I use the mountain bike inner tube segment for increased grippiness on my Glock G21 in particular-it works well, without significantly increasing the receiver's girth. I've done the same with my G17 and G34, but left my G19s alone.

I am very impressed with the VCD grips on my SIG GSR XO, but have kept the VZ Gator Grips on my Nighthawk Talon II, at least for the time being-whild the VCDs are better, the VZs are more than adequate-and are a perfect aesthetic match to the gun...

Most of my guns are used concurrently for carry and IDPA-and I'd prefer not having to jump any deeper in the IDPA divisional shark pool than I have to-generally, my Glocks are used in Stock Service Pistol, and my Hi Power is reserved for Enhanced Service Pistol-and 1911s for CDP...So no stippling!

Professionally executed stippling looks..well, professional. Not so well executed looks...bubba-ish. Operationally, both'll work, but still...

Best, Jon

Sparks2112
07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Form follows function, and I seem to shoot that gun ok.........ugly is as ugly performs. Damn those sights are LOUD though!

What can I say, my eyes don't allow me to sharply focus on the front sight, so the best I can do it getting a bright orange blob out front and focusing on the target. Lemons and lemonade yah know.

BobLoblaw
07-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Thin as possible, grips or stippled?

Sounds similar to what I ask myself at the drugstore: ultra thin, ribbed, or studded pleasuremax?

You and your SO have preferences as do you and your hand. This needed a good punch line.

Sadmin
07-18-2013, 10:41 AM
I use the 3m stair tape but it melts / slides right off if im shooting in the sun. The stippling does have its appeal but im also shooting IDPA for s&g and dont want to go through all that shiz.

Im more interested in the undercut trigger guards for the glocks. Do they make a noticeable difference?

Mr_White
07-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Gen3 Glocks can be a little on the slippery side. I'm averse to permanently altering the frame so I haven't gone the stippling route. I put a strip of grip tape on the center of the back strap and that gets the gun more anchored in my strong hand and there is no issue with it shifting. Upper body inward torque, applied via the arm position and grip pressure, tends to pull the lower part of the grip tape off to the right, especially during a longer session of shooting or dry fire. I just push it back into place, and then replace it fairly frequently. Not at all an ideal solution, but it works. I wonder if this is similar to the reports from some people that they rip the GFA off their gun when they do the Vogel-style torquing.

I would get more grip enhancement if I used more grip tape. But its got to be right where it is - any further toward the left grip panel it will abrade my abdomen when the gun is holstered, and any further toward the right panel it will grab my shirt and mess up concealment.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8369961133_ba2a766714_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52790396@N08/8369961133/) 0111130638-00 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52790396@N08/8369961133/) by OrigamiAK (http://www.flickr.com/people/52790396@N08/), on Flickr

mnealtx
07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Because Facebook pics.

This. Duh.

Wait... I thought everything was 'because racegun'?

Now I'm all confuzzled....

jlw
07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
I am firmly against frame mutilation. I will not approve a pistol for duty carry that has had the frame mutilated. This one could probably be quantified as a "Because I am the chief, and I say so" rules and no amount of forum chatter is going to change it, and I refer any of those who question it to the aforementioned quantification. :cool:

karmapolice
07-18-2013, 07:20 PM
I am firmly against frame mutilation. I will not approve a pistol for duty carry that has had the frame mutilated. This one could probably be quantified as a "Because I am the chief, and I say so" rules and no amount of forum chatter is going to change it, and I refer any of those who question it to the aforementioned quantification. :cool:

But Cheif, please!!! I don't have the cash to get a non stippled M&P and they are my favorite pistol (I have an apex duty kit and aluminum trigger if that helps my case).

jlw
07-18-2013, 07:33 PM
But Cheif, please!!! I don't have the cash to get a non stippled M&P and they are my favorite pistol (I have an apex duty kit and aluminum trigger if that helps my case).

I have a perfectly non-mutilated Glock available for you...

DocGKR
07-18-2013, 08:57 PM
"I am firmly against frame mutilation."

Why?

If it improves function and ergonomics, what is the issue?

Would you also prohibit checkering of a metal frame pistol?

jlw
07-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Why?

If it improves function and ergonomics, what is the issue?

Would you also prohibit checkering of a metal frame pistol?

"Because I am the chief, and I say so." I don't play that card often, but this is one of the times that I do.

justintime
07-18-2013, 11:57 PM

I do it to clean up after removing the finger grooves. Also am I the only one who thinks the rtf frames are actually slippier than the old style when wet? I also think personally grip tape is grippier. So I use both now.

jlw
07-19-2013, 07:36 AM
I do it to clean up after removing the finger grooves. Also am I the only one who thinks the rtf frames are actually slippier than the old style when wet? I also think personally grip tape is grippier. So I use both now.

I don't care for the RTF or the Gen4 texturing. I'd rather have a Gen3 frame with some decal grips. I do like the beavertail from the Gen4 pistols. Of course, better yet would be a Gen2 style frame with a beavertail and a light rail.

jlw
07-19-2013, 07:38 AM
This is an applied finish to a Gen4 frame. It is done by Atlanta Grips (http://www.atlantagrips.com). It can be removed thus returning the frame to original condition. It provides for a very secure grip.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/996728_515904895124069_1711568889_n.jpg

Tamara
07-19-2013, 07:43 AM
This is an applied finish to a Gen4 frame. It is done by Atlanta Grips (http://www.atlantagrips.com). It can be removed thus returning the frame to original condition. It provides for a very secure grip.

Reminds me of the Agrip I had on my 29...

jlw
07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Reminds me of the Agrip I had on my 29...

It's nothing like the Agrips. For lack of a better way to describe it, think truck bed liner material.

Sparks2112
07-19-2013, 10:21 AM
It's nothing like the Agrips. For lack of a better way to describe it, think truck bed liner material.

So out of curiosity if an officer paid to send a department gun to somewhere like boresight, no because you're the chief?, what about a personally owned gun? Can't carry those on duty? I'm honestly curious about how departments and the people in charge reach these decisions.

TORCH2J
07-19-2013, 10:45 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/996728_515904895124069_1711568889_n.jpg

That actually looks quite interesting, especially as a cover-up for a home stipple/reduction job gone wrong.

jlw
07-19-2013, 11:11 AM
So out of curiosity if an officer paid to send a department gun to somewhere like boresight, no because you're the chief?, what about a personally owned gun? Can't carry those on duty? I'm honestly curious about how departments and the people in charge reach these decisions.

Doing it to an agency pistol would be a terminable offense. They don't own the pistol, the taxpayers do. I also think that a charge of interference with government property (title for our state code) could be supported. The firearm must be returned in the condition in which it was issued. Obviously there will be holster ware, etc, but stabbing the frame with a soldering iron or cutting of the grip frame with a Dremel are an intentional acts.

The agency policy was standard issue Glock with SRT members having the option to carry an issued Kimber 1911. I made a case that since we had Kimbers in inventory that those who wanted to carry one but weren't on SRT could purchase their own. The policy also stipulates that the only pre-approved mods were grip panels and sights. All other mods had to be specifically approved on an individual basis. I'm cool with extended thumb safeties and slide stops, etc, but I don't want someone trying to buy shooting skill buy having a race gun trigger installed.

As we had 9mm, .40SW, and .45 ACP ammo in inventory, I pre-approved all Glock models for carry with the pre-approved mods of sight changes. Again, if somebody wants to buy an extended slide stop for their Glock, I would approve that, but I don't want personnel to try to buy shooting skill by having a race gun trigger installed.

All of the above is also contingent on ammo inventory. If the ammo supply was such that we could only support .45 ACP ammo for those with issued 1911s, then that is where the ammo goes.

It is also contingent on the personnel choosing to carry something than the issued weapon being able to qualify on demand with their agency issued firearm.

I approved the 1911 and the Glock models because we have in house armorers for each of those platforms. Anything else is on an individual basis. We also have the support gear for them, and our instructors are familiar with both. Anything else is done on an individual basis with additional requirements to line up certified armorers or documentation of training if the platform is different.

I am trying give some flexibility within established guidelines.

As for stippling specifically: I am the chief, and I say so.

Odin Bravo One
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
As for stippling specifically: I am the chief, and I say so.

Good enough answer for me..........

JHC
07-19-2013, 12:20 PM
It's a slippery slope from stippling to putting "notches" on it. Just sayin'. ;)

jlw
07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
The Sheriff just hollered over from his office that if I needed him he would be in his office stippling his pistol.... :p:cool:

karmapolice
07-19-2013, 12:33 PM
The Sheriff just hollered over from his office that if I needed him he would be in his office stippling his pistol.... :p:cool:

:cool::cool:, Cheif tell Boss, I'll do it for him as I am a veteran stippler ;). I am know I am going to get punished when I come into work lol

jlw
07-19-2013, 12:35 PM
:cool::cool:, Cheif tell Boss, I'll do it for him as I am a veteran stippler ;). I am know I am going to get punished when I come into work lol

Careful, he might tell you to stay from whence you are coming...:cool:

Sparks2112
07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Careful, he might tell you to stay from whence you are coming...:cool:

If I pay may own way trough the academy, and work 1 shift a month on a volunteer basis. Do I have to be a resident of the state? :)

jlw
07-19-2013, 01:57 PM
If I pay may own way trough the academy, and work 1 shift a month on a volunteer basis. Do I have to be a resident of the state? :)

That depends upon whether or not you require adult supervision as we don't have any unless the captain is working.

Sparks2112
07-19-2013, 02:02 PM
That depends upon whether or not you require adult supervision as we don't have any unless the captain is working.

Hah, I think I'm ok, but doesn't everyone? :)

HCM
07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I I do like the beavertail from the Gen4 pistols. Of course, better yet would be a Gen2 style frame with a beavertail and a light rail.

This but with the RTF / Gen 4 texture please .... or I could just stipple the grip for when I don't have time to do the "gladiator thing" and rub dirt on my hands ....;)

Slavex
07-20-2013, 01:22 AM
JLW, I'm not sure, are you for or against stippling of agency guns?

I would guess part of the reasoning behind the "no" is warranty issues for the department (probably not the top concern, but possibly a concern?)

VolGrad
07-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I would guess part of the reasoning behind the "no" is warranty issues for the department (probably not the top concern, but possibly a concern?)
No, he just hates stippled guns that much. He rants about "frame mutilation" all the time. It's one of those things I like to bring up in a group of people, get him started on his rant, then walk away. :p

Tamara
07-20-2013, 10:27 AM
No, he just hates stippled guns that much.

How about on 1911s (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CSM167)? ;)

secondstoryguy
07-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Never really had the need for it. Nice thing to have? Maybe...but rough texturing has always worn out my clothes faster than a smooth gun. My palms don't sweat that bad and I work with my hands so my grip strength is probably better than most. I've used a lot of hand and power tools like hammers, nail-guns, grinders, etc that had no stippling and had no issues with them slipping around so I find it hard to understand why it would be an absolute necessity on a gun.

JAD
07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I find it hard to understand why it would be an absolute necessity on a gun.
-- wouldn't call it a necessity but I do like it on lightweight commanders. I find it unhelpful on steel guns.

HCM
07-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Stippling or grip tape is not a necessity but its nice to have. I am a big sweaty guy and 100 degree heat doesn't help.

I find it lets me run the gun a little faster / smoother. I get the greatest benefit from stippling, grip tape, etc on the front and rear of the grip and I prefer that set up on carry guns to avoid tearing up clothes, car seats etc.

It also depends on the gun. I find the P 30 and Rtf/ gen 4 Glocks good to go as- is. With gen 2/3 Glocks and SIGs they are ok when new but smooth out and get a little slick after a few months of daily carry. I find the M&P a bit slick uess my hands are completely dry.

Eli
07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
......and I have to ask, why? .....

I'm fat, don't wear an undershirt, and live in Alabama.....the grip of my pistol is ALWAYS sweaty. Whether the gun is actually any more secure in my hand, I have no idea, but it FEELS better, so I see no reason not to. Also, I have no interest in selling my carry guns, so I'm not really concerned with that either.

The way I see it, I don't carry a gun, I carry MY gun. If it improves it for me, doesn't really matter if it works for someone else or not.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/AegisEDC052.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/BigDots063.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/2-22-2012023.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/313EDC009.jpg

VolGrad
07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I find it amusing how many of us carry Burt's Bees lip balm with the label peeled off. :cool:

VolGrad
07-23-2013, 02:13 PM
How about on 1911s (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CSM167)? ;)

Well, he doesn't care much for 1911s either so .....

Eli
07-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I find it amusing how many of us carry Burt's Bees lip balm with the label peeled off. :cool:

I think it might be a guy think (not being able to leave stuff the #^%* alone), but I've always peeled the labels off of stuff, chap stik, drink bottles, condiments, etc...

Much to the irritation of the females in my life, of course.

Tamara
07-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Much to the irritation of the females in my life, of course.

...and Poison Control. :D

Eli
07-24-2013, 11:03 AM
...and Poison Control. :D

Hmmmm, good point.

Perhaps I should knock it off. :eek:

JBP55
07-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I am looking at a new unfired Gen 4 Glock that needs a new receiver because someone stippled/modified/mutilated it before ever shooting it.

JAD
07-24-2013, 12:49 PM
I am looking at a new unfired Gen 4 Glock that needs a new receiver because someone stippled/modified/mutilated it before ever shooting it.

Why are you doing that? I would stop doing that.

Steve S.
07-27-2013, 06:47 PM

You're not talking about the one on GunBroker that had the trigger guard cut off, are you?

Like the ad said... it's for "advanced shooters only"! :-)

ETA: Nope... this beauty was a Gen 3.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=350865020

Pic for those who don't follow the link.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/28/pypyhuba.jpg

justintime
07-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know if glock will deal with an erratic ejection glock if its been stippled? I'm thinking my only solution will be to send back one of my guns. I figure this could be relevant to this topic if the answer is no lol...

jon volk
07-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Like the extra grip. Love no finger grooves.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/28/7u7yjaja.jpg

karmapolice
07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
just gonna leave this here ;)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5462/9404539570_83372a17a4_h.jpg

the tan one is a cleaner job but the black one had a pre job that was smaller holes

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3826/9404559978_b7e735c714_h.jpg

VolGrad
07-30-2013, 07:20 PM
I like the golf ball dimple pattern a lot. Too bad the Chief won't let you carry that on duty.

ryanc
07-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know if glock will deal with an erratic ejection glock if its been stippled? I'm thinking my only solution will be to send back one of my guns. I figure this could be relevant to this topic if the answer is no lol...

I would think that you could just send the slide assembly back.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2