PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP Mechanical Accuracy

TR675
07-15-2013, 10:05 AM
I received an LCP as a gift a couple of years ago. I've shot it infrequently since then but it has performed well. The only malfunctions have been ammo-related; however, I have shot probably less than 200 rounds through it in total.

Just for fun, at the range yesterday I took it to the 25 yard line and tried to make shots on a 6" x 8" steel plate. With someone calling out where my misses landed I was able to figure out my holdover and after that was hitting the steel about half the time. Obviously I was shooting deliberately and slowly. I was also staging the trigger to some extent. Weather conditions were cloudy and drizzling at about 6 pm, so there wasn't much light. I used the stock sights only, if you can call them that. The only modification to the gun was a Hogue Handall.

Obviously this was not a precise or even quantifiable test, but despite the extremely rudimentary sights, I'm impressed with the little gun's mechanical accuracy. I was making not quite as many hits with the LCP at that range as with a FS M&P 9mm with night sights and Apex internals. I like the trigger just fine. The Hogue Handall massively increases the gun's shootability and practical accuracy without affecting concealability much - the difference is night and day. I think I will add a CT laser, get a better holster, and call it done. Next time I'm out I will shoot it for groups at various distances and see if I can pin down POI and POA for a carry load.

I've been dismissive of the LCP before but its performance to date is warming me up to it as a viable "can't have a gun" gun.

CCT125US
07-15-2013, 10:54 AM
The LCP is freaky* accurate for its size IMO, with the right** ammo.

*6 rds into an inch at 8 yds has been my best

**handloads

Mitchell, Esq.
07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
One day when I was playing around at a range, I rented a LCP with a laser.

Shockingly enough, the laser was sighted in at 15 yards, and with trigger control, that little gun was headshot accurate.

I wonder how durable they are...

Nephrology
07-15-2013, 11:56 AM
My buddy owned an LCP and I was able to reliably hit 5" steel plates with it at 10 yards or so, even with the crappy little sights. I was quite impressed. Still not the world's biggest .380 fan but it really does make a good deep concealment pistola.

Chuck Haggard
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I have maxed our qual course with several of the pocket guns, including an LCP, four different Kel Tecs, a Beretta 21, and most recently a Taurus 732

TCinVA
07-15-2013, 03:02 PM
To agree with the trend, the LCP's I've shot have all been remarkably accurate once someone with reasonable skill in the fundamentals gets on the trigger.

TR675
07-15-2013, 03:28 PM
I've had problems shooting it accurately before; my hands are just too big for the width of the grip. The Handall gives me something to hold onto at, possibly, the expense of making pocket carry harder.

SecondsCount
07-15-2013, 05:14 PM
The difficulty lies in overcoming the short sight radius but theoretically the shorter barrel would be stiffer than say a 6" target barrel.

A good friend of mine who passed away last year carried a 2" Rossi in 357. It was not unusual for him to hit small targets at 100 yards with his reloads.

Shawn.L
07-15-2013, 09:57 PM
I have pegged 6 and 8 inch plates at 25 yards 5 out of 5 shots a few times. The difficulty for me is the just how deep that trigger pulls, with my hand and finger size and the short depth of the grip I really feel like Im pulling all the way down into my palm.
The nubs that act like sights are obviously horrible, I pain the front nub red but it can only help so much. Regardless though one you line them up the rounds hit there no matter how hard they are on my awful eyes to see.

Never actually shot it for real groups on a bull at range though. Just knocking steel to prove the little gun can reach out.

ToddG
07-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Shortly after getting my LCP years ago I found myself dropping by a Vickers pistol class in Virginia to say hello. I got there just in time for the walkback drill so decided to give the pocket gun a go. The steel target was fairly large (I'm guessing 10x12) but I was able to hit it consistently at 75yd if I took my time.

Having said that, in terms of anti-personnel use mine wears a Crimson Trace laser.

TR675
07-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Man, what was the holdover for that?

ToddG
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Man, what was the holdover for that?

I want to say I aimed at the top of the plate but it was years ago...

CougarRed
07-17-2013, 06:11 PM
In case y'all didn't know, the LCP has improved sights for 2013.

I'm half blind and hadn't shot in months, but here's a couple of targets from my first couple of range trips with my new LCP. The 50-cent piece has a 1.2" diameter:

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/7642/c9zn.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/3503/20130612140307.jpg

Kennydale
07-18-2013, 06:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ

I don't have a .380 pistol, but found this very informative.

Shawn.L
07-18-2013, 08:41 AM
In case y'all didn't know, the LCP has improved sights for 2013.

I'm half blind and hadn't shot in months, but here's a couple of targets from my first couple of range trips with my new LCP. The 50-cent piece has a 1.2" diameter:

]

I did not know. Pics?

mnealtx
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
I have pegged 6 and 8 inch plates at 25 yards 5 out of 5 shots a few times. The difficulty for me is the just how deep that trigger pulls, with my hand and finger size and the short depth of the grip I really feel like Im pulling all the way down into my palm.
The nubs that act like sights are obviously horrible, I pain the front nub red but it can only help so much. Regardless though one you line them up the rounds hit there no matter how hard they are on my awful eyes to see.

Never actually shot it for real groups on a bull at range though. Just knocking steel to prove the little gun can reach out.

I agree with the "feel like I'm pulling all the way down into my palm" comment. I may have to try one of those Handall sleeves, see if it makes a difference.

CougarRed
07-19-2013, 08:28 PM
I did not know. Pics?

Very much like the Rohrbaugh sights. The trigger has been improved for 2013 as well. The hammer is more precocked, resulting in a shorter pull and crisp break that comes a little quicker than before.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/Ruger-LCP-Sights.jpg

http://pictures.gunauction.com/6345141857/12032440/lcp2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg