PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for local trainers in Ohio

ford.304
07-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Following the recommendations from pretty much everyone to find a good local trainer... does anyone have experience with trainers in central Ohio? I know Spark has had a couple guys on his show who seem to aim more toward the home defense side of things, and that Steve Anderson does some excellent dry fire and USPSA classes, but does anyone have recommendations for where to go or avoid for pure pistol shooting skills?

BLR
07-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Following the recommendations from pretty much everyone to find a good local trainer... does anyone have experience with trainers in central Ohio? I know Spark has had a couple guys on his show who seem to aim more toward the home defense side of things, and that Steve Anderson does some excellent dry fire and USPSA classes, but does anyone have recommendations for where to go or avoid for pure pistol shooting skills?

Which skills?

CCT125US
07-13-2013, 10:01 AM
I know we have tried to get together at BWSC before. I enjoy meeting forum members, so that is still an option.

gtmtnbiker98
07-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Always welcome in Wilmington, CCT125US. I am always up for a get together and I have facilities that allow most practical shooting without "nanny" rules.

OP, TDI Is a safe bet and the only local training venue that I would endorse. With that said, the best training is getting together with those who are dialed in and allow them to mentor.

CCT125US
07-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Always welcome in Wilmington, CCT125US. I am always up for a get together and I have facilities.

No kidding, I need to get back down there. I have the facilties as well, just not as nice. One of these days we should put together a PF range day in Ohio. I can think of several folks I would like to meet. Ford.304 lives just a short distance away but we have never been able to line up schedules.

ford.304
07-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Sorry about the slow reply - I should have thought before I asked this that I was going away for the weekend.

Which skills?

General pistol shooting fundamentals at the intermediate level. I think I make the minimum requirements for a AFHF course, but only by the skin of my teeth. My biggest need is getting more consistent and having someone tell me *what* am being inconsistent about - I have been shooting Steel Challenge down at Pickaway County Sportsmen, and on the easy stages I will have some of the fastest times in the group, and on the harder stages I will have the slowest by a *wide* margin. I've been trying to work on my accuracy lately because of that, but I've been recovering from a torn ACL so I haven't had much actual range time this summer yet, unfortunately.

In terms of actual coursework so far, I have taken the CCW class at Blackwing and the bullseye rifle class at OSU years ago. I thought the training at Blackwing was ok, I guess, but I wasn't that impressed. I don't know if their less state-mandated courses are better or not.

I'm trying to follow the advice of the forum and find something that focuses on shooting fundamentals - something that will apply equally well to competition and self defense work.

@CCT - Yeah, I am sorry I suck at getting free weekends. I still would like to me up some time, but I barely have time to practice as it is, and everything ends up as a "plan this three weeks in advance or it won't happen" sort of thing.

btw, did Blackwing recently get stricter on their ammo policy? I've shot moly coated bullets there before, but my roommate said they turned him away last time he went because they weren't FMJ.

CCT125US
07-15-2013, 07:59 PM
@CCT - Yeah, I am sorry I suck at getting free weekends. I still would like to me up some time, but I barely have time to practice as it is, and everything ends up as a "plan this three weeks in advance or it won't happen" sort of thing.

btw, did Blackwing recently get stricter on their ammo policy? I've shot moly coated bullets there before, but my roommate said they turned him away last time he went because they weren't FMJ.

No worries, we could set something up at BWSC through the week if you wanted to. As far as the ammo policy, it has not changed. You have never been allowed to shoot cast bullets, however, depending on range staff they may not catch it. If the range is busy and they don't take the time to check. The issue is the lead exposure and filter life. Most folks would never know you were shooting lead unless they noticed the bullets themselves. With the increased activity at the range, it can be hard enough to keep an eye on the shooters themselves, let alone what they are shooting. I have called out shooters who are clearly in violation, since I would rather not suck in the fumes myself. I usually shoot on the rifle side since it goes to 25 yards, but it gets cloudy with the bigger guns. The staff is great but can't be everywhere. Let me know if you get some time in the evening, range cost wouldn't be bad since I am a member.

ford.304
07-16-2013, 07:20 AM
The ones we were using aren't cast, though. Bayou, precision, black beauties... whatever you call them, the whole point is to still encapsulate the lead while being cheaper than plated. They're safe to shoot indoors. I've had them checked out by the range staff before, and they agreed they were ok. Must have just been a different set of guys doing the check-in. Even the guys I talked to said they hadn't seen them before, but they'd heard of them.

Meeting up after work sometime would be awesome. For moment I'm in therapy two days a week (ACL reconstruction, woo), which makes my schedule a little tight. But that should slow down in a week or two.

Sparks2112
07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
The ones we were using aren't cast, though. Bayou, precision, black beauties... whatever you call them, the whole point is to still encapsulate the lead while being cheaper than plated. They're safe to shoot indoors. I've had them checked out by the range staff before, and they agreed they were ok. Must have just been a different set of guys doing the check-in. Even the guys I talked to said they hadn't seen them before, but they'd heard of them.

Meeting up after work sometime would be awesome. For moment I'm in therapy two days a week (ACL reconstruction, woo), which makes my schedule a little tight. But that should slow down in a week or two.

Mad Duck Training would be my first suggestion as far as fundamentals etc. John is a good dude, and I want to say has done some work with Givens.

_JD_
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I've been to TDI a couple of times, it's good to go. Their Handgun 1-3 is good stuff.

Some of the guys there also work at the Mid Ohio Firearms Training Academy (http://www.moftaohio.com/), can't comment on all of their staff of curriculum.

Lon
07-30-2013, 03:59 PM
I recommend Benner and his crew at TDI. Been there a couple times. With enough notice, I can probably arrange something at my PD range on an open range day. We're in Greene County.

HopetonBrown
07-31-2013, 03:14 AM
Robert Vogel gives private instruction on his farm. Don't know where in OH it is but he's in a 419 area code.

http://www.vogeldynamics.com/contact/

Sparks2112
07-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Robert Vogel gives private instruction on his farm. Don't know where in OH it is but he's in a 419 area code.

http://www.vogeldynamics.com/contact/

Hour north of Dayton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

gtmtnbiker98
08-01-2013, 05:10 AM
If you are in the Chillicothe, Washington CH, or Wilmington area drop me a PM.

ford.304
08-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Court House isn't too bad of a drive. PM sent.

Chuck Whitlock
08-02-2013, 12:02 PM
IIRC from the podcast, Dave Spaulding is based out of Ohio.

http://handguncombatives.com/index.html