PDA

View Full Version : Bought A Remington 51

ACP230
05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Yesterday I picked up a Remington Model 51 that I had on hold. Got an old carry holster and a new plastic box with it.

They have a rep for excellent feel. My wife, who shoots only occasionally said it felt, "too heavy." And she didn't like the grip.
My son says it feels good but, "It has no sights." (He's a bullseye shooter).
I think it feels like a slim BHP and I like the BHP a lot. Feels like it would be an excellent point shooter.

I bought one box of Winchester .380 when I picked up the gun. If it had been a .32 ACP I wouldn't have needed to buy ammo at all. The other pocket pistols I have are .32s.
I will shoot the gun but I don't know how much. The range trip later this week should be fun.

Wheeler
05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't know a lot about them but anything that was designed by a guy that could take a bolt action rifle and turn it into a full auto with just a fe w parts changes has got to be cool!

ACP230
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I think the Pederson Device was semiauto, but your point still stands.

Wheeler
05-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I stand corrected. As I was reading up on the Pederson device, I was struck by the similarities between his design and the drop in .22LR kit I have for my AR. Almost identical in form and function.

Tamara
05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I got one myself, not long back. Considering when it was designed, it's downright futuristic looking. Too bad the manual safety is so awkwardly placed.

My gunsmith friends advised me that, should I feel like detail-stripping it, I should lie down until the feeling goes away. Also, that the floating breechblocks eventually crack.