PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have any interest in AR 308 carbines?

Little Creek
07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
There seems to be more makes and models available. Just wondering. I have had a M&P10 for a few months.

JHC
07-12-2013, 11:21 AM
There seems to be more makes and models available. Just wondering. I have had a M&P10 for a few months.

I'd love to get one but I'm fixated on the Larue's which I won't be investing in for a spell. How does your Smith run and what kind of precision have you seen from it.

How's the trigger? Basic GI?

I think DocGKR's logic of given a hypothetical of streamlining to .308 ARs and 5.56 ARs and bolt guns be damned resonates with me. I've never had much of an affinity for bolt actions in general. But the .308 AR for me has got to deliver on the precision side.

DocGKR
07-12-2013, 12:19 PM
KAC ECC and new K2 are outstanding, as are the LaRue rifles.

Tamara
07-12-2013, 01:02 PM
there seems to be more makes and models available. Just wondering. I have had a m&p10 for a few months.

What? I can't hear you; some guy was shooting a 16" .308 next to me at a Louis class back in '10! ;)

Chuck Haggard
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I'd love to get one of the S&Ws. I had an M1a SOCOM a few years ago, but sold it off, nice envelope, but not quite right for me.

Little Creek
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I'd love to get one but I'm fixated on the Larue's which I won't be investing in for a spell. How does your Smith run and what kind of precision have you seen from it.

How's the trigger? Basic GI?

I think DocGKR's logic of given a hypothetical of streamlining to .308 ARs and 5.56 ARs and bolt guns be damned resonates with me. I've never had much of an affinity for bolt actions in general. But the .308 AR for me has got to deliver on the precision side.

It has run 100 rounds of 150 grain PSP deer hunting ammo without an issue. I have used the 20 round PMAG that came with it and a 10 round ASC magazine I bought just because I saw it in a local gun shop. I had a Weaver V16 scope (4-16 x 40 w/ adj obj.), so I mounted it in a one piece Leupold AR style mount. I replaced the furniture with MagPul STR stock, MIAD grip, and MOE foreend. I know this is hard to believe, but it shoots MOA out to 200 yards when I don't call a shot bad. My range is limited to 200 yards.

The Trigger is basic GI. At some point I plan to install a Geissle SSA trigger. I paid way below the suggested retail. I cannot disclose the price, but I have paid more for M4 style carbines. It think it is a best buy. I love the ambi controls, I want an ambi charging handle. Is it as good as AR 308 carbines/rifles costing 2 or 3 times as much? Probably not. The M&P 15 carbines appear to have a good rep.

JHC
07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
It has run 100 rounds of 150 grain PSP deer hunting ammo without an issue. I have used the 20 round PMAG that came with it and a 10 round ASC magazine I bought just because I saw it in a local gun shop. I had a Weaver V16 scope (4-16 x 40 w/ adj obj.), so I mounted it in a one piece Leupold AR style mount. I replaced the furniture with MagPul STR stock, MIAD grip, and MOE foreend. I know this is hard to believe, but it shoots MOA out to 200 yards when I don't call a shot bad. My range is limited to 200 yards.

The Trigger is basic GI. At some point I plan to install a Geissle SSA trigger. I paid way below the suggested retail. I cannot disclose the price, but I have paid more for M4 style carbines. It think it is a best buy. I love the ambi controls, I want an ambi charging handle. Is it as good as AR 308 carbines/rifles costing 2 or 3 times as much? Probably not. The M&P 15 carbines appear to have a good rep.

That's great to hear.

Archimagirus
07-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I picked up a Colt LE-901 at Christmas time and I love it. I can't really shoot .308 out of a bolt action without significant shoulder pain, and the Colt has been great as far as recoil goes. I had some trouble sighting in the first scope I purchased, but that was on me. Accuracy was good, but I am still well within the break in period.

will_1400
07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
If I had the money, I'd be all over an SR-25 EMC.

DanH
07-12-2013, 10:37 PM
My when-I-hit-the-lottery wish list has included one of these

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

for quite a while.

More specifically, two of them. One in 7mm-08, another in either .338 Fed or .358 Win.

Yes, I am a gun hipster in training.

idahojess
07-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I picked up an M & P 10 a few weeks ago and really like it. I'd like to try to hunt with it; but I still need to set it up with a scope. Right now I have a red dot on it. It's run only about 50 rounds of 147 grain PMC through it, but no issues. (I cleaned it before I shot it and after 20 rounds, it felt like there was some extra friction after the first session, which went away after cleaning).

Before I shot it, I did put an MOE stock on it and put a limbsaver buttpad on it, replacing the MOE rubber pad. The Limbsaver buttpad is made specifically for the Magpul stocks, and is really nice. I don't think I would recommend shooting it with the hard plastic collapsible stock that comes with it.

Little Creek
07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I picked up an M & P 10 a few weeks ago and really like it. I'd like to try to hunt with it; but I still need to set it up with a scope. Right now I have a red dot on it. It's run only about 50 rounds of 147 grain PMC through it, but no issues. (I cleaned it before I shot it and after 20 rounds, it felt like there was some extra friction after the first session, which went away after cleaning).

Before I shot it, I did put an MOE stock on it and put a limbsaver buttpad on it, replacing the MOE rubber pad. The Limbsaver buttpad is made specifically for the Magpul stocks, and is really nice. I don't think I would recommend shooting it with the hard plastic collapsible stock that comes with it.

Where did you get the Limbsaver buttpad for the Magpul stocks? It sounds like I need one.

idahojess
07-13-2013, 04:42 PM
I got the buttpad from this outfit (shipped quick), and it bolted right on. Fits great.

http://www.nokick.com/Limbsaver_Recoil_Pad_for_Magpul_Collapsible_Stocks _p/ls-10025.htm

Odin Bravo One
07-13-2013, 05:57 PM
What? I can't hear you; some guy was shooting a 16" .308 next to me at a Louis class back in '10! ;)

He talks quietly around everyone Tam, it's not just you.

I went with the LaRue, mostly because no one else was making one at the time that was worth a kitten. But given the wait period, and some recent LaRue shenanigans with other stuff, I would probably buy a KAC. Well, not a Mk25, but something that actually works, like their latest iteration on the 762 semi-auto.

DocGKR
07-13-2013, 08:02 PM
KAC K2 or ECC run nicely...

Little Creek
07-14-2013, 05:39 PM
I got the buttpad from this outfit (shipped quick), and it bolted right on. Fits great.

http://www.nokick.com/Limbsaver_Recoil_Pad_for_Magpul_Collapsible_Stocks _p/ls-10025.htm

Thanks, I am going to order one.

Failure2Stop
07-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm an industry shill, but I'm a fan of the modern 7.62 auto.
I have personal preferences, but there are some kittening interesting models out there now, fitting a much wider array of users than ever before. If 2009 was the golden age of ARs, 2014 is the ramping up of the golden age of 7.62 auto guns.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Sparks2112
07-16-2013, 09:01 AM
I have personal preferences, but there are some kittening interesting models out there now, fitting a much wider array of users than ever before. If 2009 was the golden age of ARs, 2014 is the ramping up of the golden age of 7.62 auto guns.

I've been super impressed with the KAC guns I've seen recently, mine included. So I wouldn't feel too bad about shilling for them. ;)

Little Creek
07-16-2013, 09:16 AM

Other than the scout/sniper role, for the person who is equipped with M4 style 5.56 carbines, where in your opinion does the AR 308 fit in? What purpose does it serve? If you were going to leave your comfort zone with only one rifle/carbine, not as a warfighter out of the country - but in the good old USA, would it be an M4 in 5.56 or an AR 308? Of course that is a choice no one wants to make.

DocGKR
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
If I could only own one rifle, it would be a high quality .308 AR variant w/16" barrel--it would allow me to do every task necessary with a rifle in CONUS (of course I would want 2-3 identical rifles...).

David Armstrong
07-16-2013, 09:44 AM
He talks quietly around everyone Tam, it's not just you.

I went with the LaRue, mostly because no one else was making one at the time that was worth a kitten. But given the wait period, and some recent LaRue shenanigans with other stuff, I would probably buy a KAC. Well, not a Mk25, but something that actually works, like their latest iteration on the 762 semi-auto.
That has been my concern with the .308. It seems like the .308 AR platform has had such tough birthing pains regarding reliability that I've steered away from them. I've got one of the old 10Bs in the safe but consider it a range queen instead of a serious fighter. I've heard from several that the LaRue was good to go but others not so much so. What is the current current thinking?

secondstoryguy
07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I've had a few(LMT MWS x 2 and an Knight's EMC). Both were very accurate and reliable, but the weight was a deal killer for me. I think they are great for specialized precision type use and will largely replace the .308 bolt guns used by the military(if they haven't already). More PDs are using them in a precision capacity as well. As far as using them for a general purpose "battle" rifle it can be done but again they are chunky beasts for the most part. After shooting one I've toyed with the idea of buying a Larue PredatAR in .308, which is one of the lightest .308 ARs out there, for hunting and general purpose use. But you are still talking a 10lb + weapon fully loaded/equipped. When I shoot .308 I just grab one of short practical-type bolt guns. At around 7.5lbs scoped with sling and ammo they are much handier and easier to shoot well.

Odin Bravo One
07-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't know what the current thinking is on the LaRue's. Mine is doing just fine, though it doesn't like KAC mags.

A standard M16/AR15 20" A2 variant weighs in at 8.79 lbs empty. My LaRue, set up the same way, comes in at 7.5 lbs. And I seriously cannot get wrapped around the axle over a pound or two, here or there. Especially given that my .308 rifle weighs less than a 20" AR in 5.56. Oh, I know we can cut ounces here and there with various aftermarket this, and aftermarket that, but come on..........if we are talking about a "FIGHTING" rifle, and that is the intent.............if those few ounces are a concern, go to the gym. If one is after a fighting rifle, and those nit noid weight differences are bothering you, a serious look at the total package needs to be done. The rifle itself is probably the last thing to worry about, or that needs changing.

secondstoryguy
07-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Who uses a 20" A2 variant as a fighting gun by choice? LOL. I agree that the weight difference doesnt seem that bad on paper but the extra 1-2lbs over the standard M4, slightly thicker/longer action, and added muzzle blast just kill the ride for me. I think Doc was right on in his earlier post....if I had to have only one rifle to do everything(hunt, competition, training classes, defense) something like the Larue would be a great choice(a SCAR H or Knight's carbine would also fit the bill).

I tend to think that overall the .308 ARs are less reliable than their 5.56 brethren, but I'm sure their isn't enough data to substantiate it one way or the other. I'm probably just jaded by my earlier experiences with the LWRC REPR and the earlier Knights rifles...

Odin Bravo One
07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Who uses a 20" A2 variant as a fighting gun by choice? LOL. I agree that the weight difference doesnt seem that bad on paper but the extra 1-2lbs over the standard M4, slightly thicker/longer action, and added muzzle blast just kill the ride for me. I think Doc was right on in his earlier post....if I had to have only one rifle to do everything(hunt, competition, training classes, defense) something like the Larue would be a great choice(a SCAR H or Knight's carbine would also fit the bill).

I tend to think that overall the .308 ARs are less reliable than their 5.56 brethren, but I'm sure their isn't enough data to substantiate it one way or the other. I'm probably just jaded by my earlier experiences with the LWRC REPR and the earlier Knights rifles...

I'm with you on many of those points.

Still, if I had to choose only one, I'd likely select a 16" 5.56mm. Despite internet claims to the contrary, .308 is not the fight ender people believe it to be.

Failure2Stop
07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Other than the scout/sniper role, for the person who is equipped with M4 style 5.56 carbines, where in your opinion does the AR 308 fit in? What purpose does it serve? If you were going to leave your comfort zone with only one rifle/carbine, not as a warfighter out of the country - but in the good old USA, would it be an M4 in 5.56 or an AR 308? Of course that is a choice no one wants to make.

It would be a toss-up between an 11.5"-14.5" 5.56 carbine or a 16" 7.62.
For anything shorter than 11.5, I'd probably vote 300 Blk, most probably suppressed.

The ultimate decision would have to be based on circumstance, environment, and threat. Assuming that it's bad enough to warrant walking around with a rifle, but permissible enough to be walking around, I'd probably go with an 11.5" 5.56 with purpose built ammo and a decent suppressor. If the likely threat required deep penetration and/or intervening barriers and/or distances past 200 meters, the 7.62 would get the nod.

With a QD suppressor, of course...
I'm not a barbarian.

Sparks2112
07-16-2013, 07:07 PM
The ultimate decision would have to be based on circumstance, environment, and threat. Assuming that it's bad enough to warrant walking around with a rifle, but permissible enough to be walking around, I'd probably go with an 11.5" 5.56 with purpose built ammo and a decent suppressor.

That's what I came up with too.

David Armstrong
07-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Who uses a 20" A2 variant as a fighting gun by choice?
I do, but only because I don't have a 20" A1 variant.

BLR
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
I purchased a F&D 308 early last year. Haven't seen it yet.

Rich
07-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Even though Stoner made the AR in 308 .
I will stick with the 5.56 or if I need better penetration I would opt to 6.8 .
For Me . I hate the recoil of the 308.
I will always go with less recoil more rds on target.

Rich
07-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I do, but only because I don't have a 20" A1 variant.

I wouldn't have a problem with a 20inch rifle , If I was in open type country.

Thick woods or jungle or room to room I would go sbr or carbine

Failure2Stop
07-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Even though Stoner made the AR in 308 .
I will stick with the 5.56 or if I need better penetration I would opt to 6.8 .
For Me . I hate the recoil of the 308.
I will always go with less recoil more rds on target.

Sometimes you only get one chance.

TAZ
07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Before the madness began and PMAGS were to be had for $20 I had my name on an LE-901. In hind sight I'm glad I didnt trade my SPR for the 308. I would have had NOTHING to shoot over the last year as my stash of 308 was a dozen boxes left over from my bolt gun days.

I'm still fascinated by the whole 901 especially of Colt follows through and makes the caliber conversion adapter available. Seems like a good all around kind of gun.

IMO, even though the 308 does have some trade offs the extra umph (yes I know in getting technical here) it brings to the table makes it one of the best general purpose cartridges. Almost anything CONUS can be taken with it so as far as a survival rifle it's great. From a defensive POV, the extra range and energy on target it offers is worth considering.

Both the added weight and lowered mag capacity can be dealt with relatively easily. IMO the biggest negative hitters are going to be the added cost of ownership and the opinion that it will take more training and time to master than a 556 gun. That need to spend a bit more time on the range to master the system also piles on the cost of ownership thing

Little Creek
07-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Both the added weight and lowered mag capacity can be dealt with relatively easily. IMO the biggest negative hitters are going to be the added cost of ownership and the opinion that it will take more training and time to master than a 556 gun. That need to spend a bit more time on the range to master the system also piles on the cost of ownership thing

I use the M&P15-22 as an understudy for my M4 carbines, when I feel more like burning up 22lr than 5.56, as an understudy for my M&P 10. They all serve their purpose, which includes being a lot of fun. I really need, not just want, a 9mm M4 style carbine to shoot my steel targets at pistol distances (not to mention more shots per dollar than 5.56).

David Armstrong
07-24-2013, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with a 20inch rifle , If I was in open type country.

Thick woods or jungle or room to room I would go sbr or carbine
Guess it is all in what you are used to. I've used the 20" in thick woods, jungle, room to room and so on without any trouble.

Odin Bravo One
07-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Assuming we mean "Master" as a measurement of acquired skill, and that said acquired skill is far and above the average proficiency of the average user, I might offer for consideration the financial expenditure to "Master" any firearm will be left to those who really want to "Master" it, and the financial differences between calibers are really not as much of an issue as one might think. People who set out to "Master" a firearm are not buying 20 round boxes of WWB or Remington Green Box at WalMart when they have a Sunday coupon for "10% off, limit 2 per household". I've also found quality of training to be a bigger factor for an increased level of proficiency than quantity.

secondstoryguy
07-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Sometimes you only get one chance.

Very true. When you starting shooting at man or beast they tend to haul ass to get out of the way. Most of the time all your subsequent rounds are doing is making them move even faster.