PDA

View Full Version : Mission and Mindset for the Armed Citizen

Jay Cunningham
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Having the urge to get your firearms training from a real-deal “face-shooter” (the cool term du jour) has a lot of appeal. And admittedly, once the firearms come into play, there’s not much nuance between what an LEO, soldier, or civilian might need in the way of skills in order to prevail.

All trainers teach marksmanship and gun handling. Many tout “mindset” as the most important aspect of the “combat triad” - but not necessarily in a manner applicable to the armed citizen. Examples of mindset include demonstrating a scan and assess after a string of fire, tactical reloads and proper ammunition management, and a generally aggressive attitude. “Winning the fight” is considered proper mindset – and it is, once the fight is on.

The best possible option for the armed citizen is to avoid the fight altogether. The next best is to extricate oneself safely once a confrontation is initiated.

What is the “mission” of the Average Joe?

Defense of family
Defense of self
Defense of an innocent third-party
Defense of property
Exercise of a Constitutional Right

Likely scenarios the armed citizen might see:

Carjacking
Mugging
Assault
Dog attack
Active shooter (possible offensive mission requirement)
Home invasion
Vandalism/Arson
Property theft
Looting/Rioting

The goal in nearly every scenario that an armed citizen may encounter is to retreat safely - if possible. With very few exceptions, it IS NOT the goal of the armed citizen to “run towards the sound of gun fire”. The armed citizen does not have backup, does not wear armor, is generally not armed with a long gun, and is not in constant communications with a higher authority for guidance and/or help.

The armed citizen has an obligation to avoid physical confrontation. We’ve heard it before, but it bears repeating: a handgun is not a magic talisman, and being armed and trained does not prevent bad things from happening to you. It is your awareness of your surroundings, your ability to “read” people, and yes, a healthy paranoia.

Simply taking “combatives” training (hand-to-hand, bladework, disarms) in addition to more traditional firearms training is a step in the right direction for the armed citizen, but it is not enough. There are very experienced trainers who offer coursework involving deselection, de-escalation, and disengagement.

This idea of leading a “stealth existence” can be a bit much for a single 25 year old male to wrap his head around. It seems like a boring, burdensome lifestyle – it can be. However, the 38 year old married father of two with a nice house and a good job has a much easier time understanding how critical this is.

There was a time when I was convinced of the utility of carrying OC spray in addition to the other gear we load ourselves down with. For whatever reason, I allowed myself to be convinced that OC was unnecessary, but I will state now that I think OC spray is a vital option for the armed citizen, especially for dealing with two very real threats: dogs and drunks. A small, multifunction strobing light, along with a firearm and a reload, a cell phone, a folding utility knife and possibly a small fixed blade makes for a well-rounded loadout for the armed citizen.

Check your six periodically… yes, really. Get your nose out of the smart phone. Maintain your situational awareness. Know where the exits are. Put your back to a wall if you can. Lock your car doors as soon as you’re in the vehicle. Avoid drinking alcohol to the point of drunkenness.

If you see trouble headed your way, put yourself somewhere else if you can.

Avoid Stupid Places

Avoid Stupid People

Avoid Stupid Things

The above is not "The Law as Told By Jay"; it is simply an expression of some opinions that I've formed through my training and experience with several very good instructors. Please feel free to discuss and disagree!

Frank D.
02-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Great article.

deselection, de-escalation, and disengagement.

What do these mean (specifically deselection), and who offers coursework?

Thanks, hope you've got more ;).

jar
02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Great article.

Deselection means convincing the bad guy to choose a different victim. If all he wants is some cash to score some dope, is he going to attack the guy with his head up and eyes moving who verbally challenges him 15 feet away? Probably not, he'll wait for the guy busy texting who doesn't even see him until there's a knife in his face.

Southnarc's "managing unknown contacts" block is the premier coursework on this, IMO.

YVK
02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Great article.

John Farnam spends a good deal of time on deselection, de-escalaltion and disengagement. In fact, during first morning of his handgun class, you practice those things, especially disengagement. He has one or two students or AIs corner you, interfere with you intended path etc, and you need to get out of that. I actually think it may be more valuable than shooting portion of his class.

Deselection is a complex concept that consists of range of behaviors making you less likely to be chosen as a target. One part of it is avoidance of high-risk places. Another part is avoidance of behaviors that attract attention of criminals - such as flashing your Rolex or money clip etc. Yet another part is projection of power in case criminal attention falls on you randomly - confident posture and speech, situational awareness etc. come in mind here.

VolGrad
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Avoid Stupid Places

Avoid Stupid People

Avoid Stupid Things

~ Jay Cunningham

Excellent advice. This part is another the 25yo male often has trouble with.

Frank D.
02-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Jar, YVK,

Thanks for the responses, makes sense now.

SecondsCount
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Lots of good stuff Jay. Thanks for posting.

Jay Cunningham
02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Lot's of great explanations for some of the stuff I posted. I stole the Avoid Stupid Places, Avoid Stupid People, Avoid Stupid Things mantra as a composite of things I'd read (and heard) from Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Col. Cooper, Pat Goodale, and David Pennington. I have SouthNarc scheduled for a class I'm hosting in just over a month, so I'll get his insight at that time - unless he posts here before that!

hektor
02-28-2011, 01:27 AM
The discussion triggered a memory of a post put up by Larry Correia (a famous James Gandolfini look-alike) a while ago. It was an enjoyable read.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/role-playing-for-ccw-its-not-just-for-geeks-anymore/

Beat Trash
02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Jay, several good points made.

Being aware of your surroundings (situational awareness) is also important for the armed citizen. Many suspects look for easy victims. If you are aware of their presence before they make contact, they may look for an easier target. IF they don't at least you may have more time to react. More time equals the potential of more options.

For a LEO, especially on who's career involves intercity patrol, this situational awareness becomes second nature, to the point it's kinda hard to "turn off" when it may not be really that necessary (visiting Disney Land with the family for example).

I might add to what Jay has already stated that there is much more to defending oneself as an Armed Citizen than merely owning and carrying a gun. The gun is a tool, you are the weapon. The trick is knowing when to engage, and when not to engage.

MattInFla
02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
It seems to me that the mission of the armed citizen came be summarized like this:

avoid violent conflict when possible
when not possible, defend yourself / your family / innocent bystanders with the minimum effective level of force:

survive the fight
stay out of jail
don't lose everything in a lawsuit

Matt

orionz06
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Southnarc's "managing unknown contacts" block is the premier coursework on this, IMO.

I have SouthNarc scheduled for a class I'm hosting in just over a month, so I'll get his insight at that time - unless he posts here before that!

Is the above mentioned block coming along with what is planned with Southnarc?

Jay Cunningham
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Day One (4 hours):
- Criminal Assault Paradigm
- Unequal Initiative Events
- Managing Unknown Contacts
- Practical Unarmed Combat

This will be Friday evening, unless SN wants to modify the schedule.

orionz06
02-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Jesus, right on the class description page. I am deleting the internet from my computer right now...

Aray
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Jesus, right on the class description page. I am deleting the internet from my computer right now...

You sir are a liar. :rolleyes:

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM

If you're running Linux or OS X....

rm -rfr *

Would recommend against this approach for anyone that likes their computer running....

orionz06
03-01-2011, 01:47 PM
If you're running Linux or OS X....

rm -rfr *

Would recommend against this approach for anyone that likes their computer running....

I am gonna have to have an IT guy do it, I have no clue what you just typed. Instead of fixing the internet for me he can remove it. :p

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 01:48 PM
It just basically wipes your disk in one fell swoop.

jslaker
03-01-2011, 02:05 PM
It just basically wipes your disk in one fell swoop.

Most modern installs should have a "hey, don't do that, stupid" failsafe in place. ;)

jmbistheman
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I agree with everything except the "Exercise a Constitutional Right" part.

The right of self defense, and hence, gun ownership, is an inherent, natural, inalienable right of every individual on this planet, and one that the 2nd Amendment only protects-it does not give.

MechEng
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Avoid Stupid Places

Avoid Stupid People

Avoid Stupid Things

This is basically what my father always said and it's kept me from getting hurt, going to jail and there are no little unwanted Me's running around.

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I agree with everything except the "Exercise a Constitutional Right" part.

The right of self defense, and hence, gun ownership, is an inherent, natural, inalienable right of every individual on this planet, and one that the 2nd Amendment only protects-it does not give.

I'm not trying to get that deep, dude. :o

socom308
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Very good thread here OP. I'm glad you mentioned pepper spray. I started carrying O.C. last year and I see it as a very good non-lethal option. We are more likely to be accosted by someone looking for a fist fight than a gun fight, at least where I come from. Avoidance is the key but it's nice to have options.

Shellback
03-04-2011, 02:58 AM
There was a time when I was convinced of the utility of carrying OC spray in addition to the other gear we load ourselves down with. For whatever reason, I allowed myself to be convinced that OC was unnecessary, but I will state now that I think OC spray is a vital option for the armed citizen, especially for dealing with two very real threats: dogs and drunks.

How are people carrying OC on their body? Holster, pocket, clip?

Great write up Jay.

NickA
03-04-2011, 07:29 AM
John Farnam spends a good deal of time on deselection, de-escalaltion and disengagement... I actually think it may be more valuable than shooting portion of his class

I did the DTI basic class with the Farnams a few months ago and would agree that his deselection and de-escalation stuff is great. One technique John teaches for deselection is what he calls “tape loops”- you should already have a reply rehearsed and ready to go when approached by an unknown. We used “Sorry sir, can’t help you”, and throughout the course were expected to address the target while moving (the AI’s would also stand behind the line and give us lines to respond to, i.e.”hey man,c an I have a ride?”). During the drill YVK mentions it was even suggested that you might look at the ground, yell “SNAKE!” and haul ass to break a persistent contact. It was all about disrupting his plan while keeping your head clear to deal with the situation and quite useful for a newb like me.
His lectures also focus on most of the things mentioned here- don’t go stupid places, be invisible if you have to be there, if targeted get yourself deselected, disengage at the lowest level of force. If all of that fails what he calls the 4 D’s come in- Divide his focus, Disrupt his plan, Disable his body, Destroy his will to fight. I found that approach gave me a lot more to think about than “Just shoot the SOB” and encourages you to look for other options. Like YVK said, the lecture part of the course may be worth the money all by itself.

MTechnik
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Is there a definitive resource for OC/Pepper spray for civilians? Or start hitting the googles and try to avoid the FUD?

peterb
03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
The importance of making good decisions, from the excellent Cornered Cat website:

"When you pull and use a gun, you are gambling literally everything you have on getting it right during the event and being legally justified afterward. You are gambling your physical life. You are betting your job, your home, and every penny you have in the bank. At risk is your marriage, your ability to share a bed with the person you love, and your ability to watch your children grow up in person instead of from jail. You place on the table every friendship you've ever made, every dollar you've ever earned or will earn, and your family's future happiness. You are risking sleep disturbances, flashbacks, nightmares, impotence, anorexia, alcoholism, drug reliance, and a long and bitter lifetime of regret if you get it wrong. That is the gamble you take when you use a firearm against another human being."

http://www.corneredcat.com/toc.aspx

socom308
03-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Great write up Jay.

I've been using a Sabre brand unit with a pocket clip that I reversed and put on the bottom of the tube and secured with electrical tape. I carry it this way, spray top down, in my non shooting hand side front pocket. All most people see is just the small clip coming from my pocket while it's being carried this way. I practice deploying it with my non dominate hand so the other hand can access my firearm if need be.

Rob Pincus has a DVD on the topic called "Chemical sprays for defense / Electrical defensive devices" that has a lot of good information on the different types available and how to best deploy them.

orionz06
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Is there a definitive resource for OC/Pepper spray for civilians? Or start hitting the googles and try to avoid the FUD?

www.defensedevices.com

Jay Cunningham
03-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Great write up Jay.

I'd like to point out that I haven't yet received formal training (an entire class) on how to deploy OC, other than an hour or two with John Farnam. That said, member orionz06 and I have been working on a couple of OC carrier concepts and he built a test model. I'm going to try it out and run it past a few people with a lot more experience to get some opinions.

joshs
03-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Great write up Jay.

I carry a Spitfire dispenser on my key ring.

Shellback
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I'd like to point out that I haven't yet received formal training (an entire class) on how to deploy OC, other than an hour or two with John Farnam. That said, member orionz06 and I have been working on a couple of OC carrier concepts and he built a test model. I'm going to try it out and run it past a few people with a lot more experience to get some opinions.

I'm interested in the results, especially for the wife, as she hasn't made the commitment to training and carrying a gun at this point. Although she does now carry Sabre Red when running, after lots of coaxing, but doesn't have any formal training.

Jay Cunningham
09-22-2014, 11:57 AM
A very recent, common-sense post by Chuck H made me think about this and go looking for it for a necrobump.

Guinnessman
09-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Jay,

What are you carrying for OC these days? Thanks.

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Lots of BS in the OC manufacturing field.

Using the AR15 tier system, Saber = Colt, everybody else is under that level somewhere. Lots of bad OC on the market because there is literally zero legislation to control how the makers make stuff.

The Saber pocket sized units, including the Spitfire, are GTG

TR675
09-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Chuck - how do the ASP keyring units fare? I like that they're reasonably unobtrusive and don't look like a spray canister.

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
They are decent gear, and that you can pick "what OC?" to put in them, including buying inert to practice with, makes them much more worthwhile.

I have a knee jerk negative response to anything ASP because of the owner of the company, and their batons and baton training sucks, but their OC keystick is solid gear that I can't hate on.

The only issue would be they are tough to aim due to how you have to hold them, but using the inert to practice would help solve that.

Jay Cunningham
09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Jay,

What are you carrying for OC these days? Thanks.

The original post is dated 02-25-2011...

...so to be truthful, I don't currently carry OC. That's not to say that I may not change my mind again.

TR675
09-22-2014, 01:54 PM
They are decent gear, and that you can pick "what OC?" to put in them, including buying inert to practice with, makes them much more worthwhile.

I have a knee jerk negative response to anything ASP because of the owner of the company, and their batons and baton training sucks, but their OC keystick is solid gear that I can't hate on.

The only issue would be they are tough to aim due to how you have to hold them, but using the inert to practice would help solve that.

Thanks.

I got them for both me and my wife and the inert cartridge was a real help in getting her up to speed on using it, and like I said I liked that they don't look like spray canisters.

BUT - they're the smaller versions, so there's not much spray in there, they are hard to aim, getting them into play is kind of awkward, and even if they don't look like canisters they sure look like something - enough for strangers to comment on them.

So I'm rethinking the whole thing as I'm not sure what we're gaining by using them instead of something more potent and user friendly.

RoyGBiv
09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Hard to argue with $6.99 for the 25 shot version..
SABRE Pepper Spray - Advanced 3-In-1 Police Strength - Compact Size with Clip (Max Protection - 25 shots, up to 5x's more) (http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Pepper-Spray-Advanced-Protection/dp/B0007VM8UC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411413044&sr=1-1&keywords=pepper+spray+sabre)

or... Refillable case "stealth" version (Spitfire, 8-Shot) $11.99 Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Spitfire-Pepper-Spray/dp/B0077SYCPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411413307&sr=1-1&keywords=sabre+spitfire)

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
The longer version can be used for strikes as one would a keystick/kubotan, so there is that.

There are a lot of fancy things you can do with a kubotan, but simply hammer fist striking is likely the best use in a defensive situation, something like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlw9Mo4g5Ak#t=63

Mr_White
09-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Chuck,

How much less good do you think Fox is than Sabre? Fox has been recommended to me before as 'the best one' but I'm interested in your take as well.

Thanks!

ETA: Maybe not a good way for me to phrase the question - I wouldn't expect you to be able to quantify a difference. Maybe a better way to ask is, 'what does Sabre do so much better than other OC manufacturers?'

Thanks again.

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
The top end Saber Red feels hotter to me than the Fox, when I took hits of each during training events. I know that's a sample of one, but all ya'll can do the same testing should you feel the need to not take my word for it ;)

The Fox ain't bad, but the whole "5.3 million!!!!!!!!" thing is hype. The major capsinoids content in the Fox is less than the Red.

What Saber brought to the OC table was truth in advertising, and lab testing of the OC to insure "hotness". That has driven the industry in a good direction.

Mr_White
09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Indeed, I will take your word for it....thanks Chuck!

Jay Cunningham
09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
When I was first looking into this stuff a few years back, the Fox stuff was certainly the most recommended at the time.

okie john
09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Check your six periodically… yes, really. Get your nose out of the smart phone. Maintain your situational awareness. Know where the exits are. Put your back to a wall if you can. Lock your car doors as soon as you’re in the vehicle. Avoid drinking alcohol to the point of drunkenness.

Ancient wisdom.

Plus good situational awareness makes life a LOT more interesting. It's amazing what you see.

Okie John

Guinnessman
09-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Using the AR15 tier system, Saber = Colt, everybody else is under that level somewhere. Lots of bad OC on the market because there is literally zero legislation to control how the makers make stuff.

The Saber pocket sized units, including the Spitfire, are GTG

Thanks for the info Chuck!

Shellback
09-22-2014, 05:20 PM

What's your opinion on the Fox Labs stuff? ETA - Just read your response above and didn't realize there was a pg. 5 initially.

Hard to argue with $6.99 for the 25 shot version..
SABRE Pepper Spray - Advanced 3-In-1 Police Strength - Compact Size with Clip (Max Protection - 25 shots, up to 5x's more) (http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Pepper-Spray-Advanced-Protection/dp/B0007VM8UC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411413044&sr=1-1&keywords=pepper+spray+sabre)
Be forewarned. These do NOT come with the metal clip shown in the picture. They come with a cheap POS plastic clip in a similar shape. However, I was hoping it'd be the metal and would clip on to my Chris Fry pocket protector but no such luck.

Still a great size for pocket carry but no metal clip.

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Saber makes three different levels of spray as some places have a legal limit for non-cops, etc. The Red is the hottest, and what you want if you can get it.

Whatever the brand, if they can't tell you what their major capsinoid content is then I wouldn't buy it, because they don't know, they are guessing.

This one comes with live and inert spray, and supports healthy boobie research;
http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-283/NBCF-PINK-Pepper-Spray/Detail

This unit ain't bad, some of our detectives use these;
http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-83/Quick-Release-Pepper-Spray/Detail

RevolverRob
09-22-2014, 08:48 PM
I just picked up a couple of canisters of Sabre Red - Blue Face - http://www.amazon.com/Sabre-69-Ounce-Pepper-Compact-Transparent/dp/B003BORC8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411436833&sr=8-1&keywords=Sabre+Red+Blue - On recommendation from HeadHunter over on TPI. I've found the can to be the right size for pocket carry.

Also there is a training version: http://www.amazon.com/Sabre-Pepper-Practice-Canister-0-54-Ounce/dp/B00AEKFP92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411436902&sr=8-3&keywords=Sabre+Red+Blue - FWIW - HH reports the training version isn't as powerful in terms of spray velocity/distance as the live can - So practice with the live can may also be in order.

-Rob

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I always test fire at least one shot from a new live unit to be sure it works. They normally do, but I have seen them not.

RevolverRob
09-22-2014, 09:28 PM
I always test fire at least one shot from a new live unit to be sure it works. They normally do, but I have seen them not.

Chuck do you normally do this on the gun range or someplace else? I'm having a hard time figuring out where to do that in the middle of Chicago. I guess I could go out in the back alley and fire off each can into a cardboard box and then dump it in the dumpster? I really have no idea.

-Rob

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2014, 09:30 PM
If that situation I might use a large trash bag to contain the spray.

Wash your hands well afterwards.

Shellback
09-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Paper plate for a target with a cardboard backer. Practice aim and verify distance.

Or an aggressive panhandler. ;)

Mr_White
09-26-2014, 02:16 PM
The top end Saber Red feels hotter to me than the Fox, when I took hits of each during training events. I know that's a sample of one, but all ya'll can do the same testing should you feel the need to not take my word for it ;)

The Fox ain't bad, but the whole "5.3 million!!!!!!!!" thing is hype. The major capsinoids content in the Fox is less than the Red.

What Saber brought to the OC table was truth in advertising, and lab testing of the OC to insure "hotness". That has driven the industry in a good direction.

Thanks again, Chuck. I replaced my out of date Fox 5.3 with some Sabre Red Blue Face, aka “Airplane Toilet Face".

JHC
09-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I know its WRONGGGGG but I so want the 9oz bear spray model with the 40 foot range! I'll just a order a couple of those to the kiddo up in AK.

KevinB
09-28-2014, 11:12 AM
I know its WRONGGGGG but I so want the 9oz bear spray model with the 40 foot range! I'll just a order a couple of those to the kiddo up in AK.

While not as practical to carry - they are great in a vehicle.

I don't carry OC - mainly as I have seen a number of drunks and druggies ignore it. - also so many states have laws on it, so best check the legal requirements in your AO, and any areas of where you may be travelling to.

LEOSA covers handguns but not OC...

cclaxton
10-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Ever since I took the SHOOT/NO-SHOOT class, I carry a 70gr Sabre cannister. When I go places I can't carry a firearm, I have it with me. I also have a can by the front door. And all the women in my life have a Keychain version and a metal cat punch.

Training on its use is important.
There are times when non-lethal is appropriate for civilians who don't get the cover that LEO'S have.

Pics:£http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/01/0333550f2e45bbf4e370935a2c0ab6eb.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/01/c9dc901208fdf45e8aaed0a11f12b4d9.jpg
Com-tac has a great $35 pouch, but haven't been able to swallow the cost. I use a nylon $5 pouch I got at a gun show.
Cody