PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11/111?

will_1400
07-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Right now I'm looking to pick up a .30-06/.308 bolt gun for hunting deer, pronghorn, hogs, etc with my preference being for .30-06. My local Cabela's has a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP package that includes a Bushnell 3x9 scope with BDC for about $550 before taxes. Handling the gun in the store, I liked how it felt in my hands -though I do understand this doesn't mean anything compared to actual shooting performance- but I found that the bolt lift was high enough that I was practically scraping my knuckles on the scope when I tried cycling the action (which should be fixable with higher rings and a cheek pad on the stock).

Should I go for it or pass in favor of something else?

TGS
07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Right now I'm looking to pick up a .30-06/.308 bolt gun for hunting deer, pronghorn, hogs, etc with my preference being for .30-06. My local Cabela's has a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP package that includes a Bushnell 3x9 scope with BDC for about $550 before taxes. Handling the gun in the store, I liked how it felt in my hands -though I do understand this doesn't mean anything compared to actual shooting performance- but I found that the bolt lift was high enough that I was practically scraping my knuckles on the scope when I tried cycling the action (which should be fixable with higher rings and a cheek pad on the stock).

Should I go for it or pass in favor of something else?

I don't like the idea of having to raise the scope (thus need a comb-riser/cheek pad to compensate) for what appears to be a design flaw. Having to get new rings and a cheek pad will likely negate any price savings on the rifle package, too.....

archangel
07-11-2013, 08:39 AM
I have a savage (model 12, I think) that I got in a very similar package deal from Dick's. It was originally a 22-250, and was an outstanding shooter. Consistently held 5 shot groups at 1/2 moa of smaller.

Recently re-barreled it to .308, and while I haven't got the new setup fully broken in yet, so far it looks like it is still as accurate as it was.

FWIW, the bold handle is a ~$15 part that can be swapped out with a a single hex bolt if you want to change it out for an oversized or extended one. (unlike the Rem 700 that you have to weld, thread, etc)

JFK
07-11-2013, 09:25 AM
I have a 111 in .30-06. It has filled lots of freezers. I would get one without scope and rings, then you can get ones that work.

However if you are looking for great guns at prices I posted this (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8820-American-Modern-Manufacturing) a bit ago.

I can attest that the Savage is a long lasting gun. I have no experience with performance over time for the Ruger.

Chuck Haggard
07-11-2013, 11:01 AM
One of the better buys I have ever made, and well worth the money, was an impulse buy at Cabelas of a Savage .308 package. The scope was cheesy but worked, I have since upgraded the glass but the rings and rifle are the same. I bought the gun for under $300 as I was thinking about getting back into deer hunting, and did. I have taken six deer with that gun so far in three years, all one shot events.

Mine, with bought at Wal Mart 150gr Federal SPs is a 1"- 1 1/4" gun for five shots from a cold bore, every time. I would have to work and spend money to get my groups shrunk from there, and I have no need when the mission for this gun is considered.

I have owned a number of Savage bolt guns over the years, I have never met one that wasn't accurate.

will_1400
07-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I have a 111 in .30-06. It has filled lots of freezers. I would get one without scope and rings, then you can get ones that work.

However if you are looking for great guns at prices I posted this (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8820-American-Modern-Manufacturing) a bit ago.

I can attest that the Savage is a long lasting gun. I have no experience with performance over time for the Ruger.

Problem with the Ruger American is it's right hand only and I'm a southpaw, otherwise I'd be all over it since my BX has one for 400 bucks.

will_1400
07-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I appreciate the inputs, guys. Right now I'm just looking at this package as a means of getting my foot in the door and I can make upgrades as time goes by.

JFK
07-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Problem with the Ruger American is it's right hand only and I'm a southpaw, otherwise I'd be all over it since my BX has one for 400 bucks.

I am a lefty too..... I feel your pain.

I think Savage makes a great out of the box product. And upgrading as you go is a good idea.

For optics you might want to check out SWFA. I have two of them, one on my AR 1-4 FFP, and a 3-15 on my Savage. Very happy with them at a price that really makes them feel better.