PDA

View Full Version : Great article on rifle crowns

LittleLebowski
07-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Article (http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php). Basically, they destroyed a rifle's crown and it still shot 3/4 MOA.

secondstoryguy
07-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Neat. Can't believe it did that well.

orionz06
07-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Let's see a rimfire attempt. (Did not follow the entire article)

Al T.
07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. It ties in with something someone posted on Lightfighter a year or so back - that the crown wasn't really that important.

BLR
07-09-2013, 08:28 AM
That's interesting.

I'd like to have seen that on a more accurate gun/bbl, but still, an in interesting observation.

As a side note - the 60kip turning bullets into "putty" is a bit off, that's not how mechanics of the bullet accelerating in the bore works. Same principal for a garden hose, your house might be getting 40psi from utility, but a pressure gauge on the hose would indicate "0." (Gross over simplification to illustrate a point, I am aware of the rather sweeping assumptions and discontinuities in the analogy). This is why the heel of the bullet doesn't deform in the barrel.

TGS
07-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Black magic.

ToddG
07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I realize it's apples & oranges, but when I was at Beretta we tested a number of different crown dimensions -- including a "control" barrel with a crown that was totally kittened up -- and across multiple samples of each design there was no significant change in accuracy.

Clusterfrack
07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting that. It is great to see some experiments testing the conventional wisdom. I was surprised by the results for sure.

John Ralston
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Didn't read that particular article, but have read others along the same lines. Don't disagree with them, but it doesn't apply to extreme accuracy. For a battle rifle, yeah, not an issue, but if you nick the crown of a gun used for extreme accuracy, you will see a significant affect (by percentage growth). With the target 22's that the Jr. Rifle shooters use, you can't afford to lose any accuracy and still hope to hit the 10 Ring.