PDA

View Full Version : NRA National Defense Match

abu fitna
07-05-2013, 06:10 PM
As many folks know, NRA has been experimenting with a new rifle / carbine match format. The first major test was out at Camp Perry. They also ran a little thing out a Peacemaker the other day for the purposes of putting together some video, and further working out some bugs. You may recognize some familiar faces from the forum in the promo they've released thus far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbYks8T5c1I

I shot out there for this (free ammo, what can I say), but I still haven't quite been able to formulate my response to the course of fire. In part, this was a side effect of the day being taken up in no small part by the filming mechanics - which meant that strings were not scored towards the end of the day. Again, reps are good nonetheless... especially using someone's else's coin for the feedstock. (Thanks to Black Hills, I might add... my first time using their heavy weight 5.56mm, and definitely far nicer than the average bulk fodder I am used to.)

The organizers indicated that the CoF is still under discussion. (Apparently, it has been since the 1990's, when this idea was first floated as a rifle alternative to IDPA.) I am still not sure how I feel about the design - there is quite a bit more flopping around on the deck than perhaps might be called for, although the techniques are good to train the question of percentages of total round count from unusual positions are something I might debate. There is also a bit of confusion between strings shot as relays versus strings shot en mass from the line, and administration / match flow would seem to be more than a bit painful at scale the way things are currently set. (This is complicated by an 3 mag for participation threshold, rightfully to encourage newcomers - but means that time to stuff mags needs to be planned in as well.)

The concept of a basic standards strings, then match level modification with terrain, props, etc. has been floated. Not yet sure how these will work; but I can imagine some interesting options.

I am very happy to see this come about, and would like to see NRA continue to lose some of the legacy baggage and move forward with the new techniques (now some 30 - 50 years old) that we all prefer to train and compete with. I understand there are a bit of internal politics, but I am grateful to the folks pushing forward.

I know there are a good number of folks here that run rifle or 3 gun. I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts. And yes, debating the very point of the thing is fair game, given attempts at 2gun (carbine / pistol) and the very successful Appleseed program as alternatives.