PDA

View Full Version : American Modern Manufacturing

JFK
07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
It is rare that I find a product that I think is the cats pajamas, so I thought I would share this:

My wife has decided to try hunting with me. She has gone as a spectator for a few years past, but this year she has an Antelope tag. Her being right handed and me being left handed, she was struggling to use any of my hunting rifles, especially being inexperience. Being a good husband I decided it was best for her to have her own rifle that she is comfortable with. At first we tried AR platforms in .308. (just in case she did not want to stick with it. ;)) She found them too heavy and was not a fan. After trying on a few entry level rifles we ended up with the 22" Ruger American in .308.

This rifle almost embarrasses me for spending so much on my hunting rifles. Box magazine, free float barrel, great trigger out of the box, light, bases installed, ready to go out of the box. I mounted up a Nikon 3-9 with the BDC that I had lying around, and we headed out to the range.

This was the first time she ever owned any gun much less zeroed. So we went through about 20 rounds before she figured out her mechanics, and she did get a pretty good zero. After she was done I wanted to check to make sure, as you can imagine with a new shooter it was a bit inconsistent. One three shot group and only a 1/2 min. adjustment and it was good to go. I was proud she was able to get so close, only under direction.

I then took another 5 shots to see how the rifle performed. With factory Hornady American Whitetail 150gr ammo the group was .74" at 100y. This out of a factory, thin profile barrel. With the scope the rifle is less than 9 lbs. Give a bit of a kick, but will be really nice to carry in the field.

My hats off to Ruger for showing that listing to customers and great manufacturing can create a quality american product. Best part of this. With the cost of the scope and the Ferral Rings, three boxes of Hornady Ammo, a sling, and two lattes on the way home.... Less than $650.

SeriousStudent
07-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Let us know how the antelope jerky tastes. :)

LHS
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Interesting. When I saw Ruger advertising these, and the prices they were going for online, I wrote them off as a cheap junker rifle meant to compete with the Yugo imports, etc. I'll be interested to see how yours holds up over time. I'm in the market for a new '06 bolt gun for a hunting trip, and have been rather unsure of which direction to go.

JFK
07-05-2013, 06:45 PM
The "weak points" I could see failing over time with hard use are:

The magazines. They are plastic, and the catches are plastic. I am sure this will ware first.

The barrel. It is pretty aggressive hunter profile. I give it 1k rounds before it starts opening up. We will see though.

MolonLabe416
10-20-2013, 08:14 PM
I handled all of the entry level rifles at the last NRA show. IMHO, the Ruger is by far the best of breed. I especially liked the compact model.

For normal hunting applications it should last a lifetime. We tend to shoot far more than the vast majority of hunters. Would it stand up to several 500-1,000 round classes and competitions? Likely not, but that wasn't a design parameter.

I intend to pick one up as a loaner.

Tamara
10-21-2013, 05:18 PM
I especially liked the compact model.

I gotta admit to an occasional case of the wantsies for one of those.

WDW
10-21-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm biased because the first & only example of the American I fired launched boolits out the shooty end in various states & directions. Targets 50yds out looked like they'd been hit with 00 buck.

For a budget bolt gun, I'm all about the Weatherby Vanguard.