PDA

View Full Version : Well that was disconcerting...(or why my range bag was ill equipped)

shooter220
07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
So Wednesday I was at the range, working on the Press Six, many times over (or at least several times over).

Frankly, I wasn't manipulating the gun that well, and found myself going back to a lot of dry-fire time between magazines. So in addition to my press out not being nearly as solid as it should be, I had a new problem. My (beloved) P225 had four FTFire's. This is a truly never-been-experienced-with-this-gun-before problem. So what was my lesson for the day? There were a few:

1. I need more range time - because I kind of sucked Wednesday.
2. I should always carry more of my carry ammo to the range than I actually carry - because I didn't have enough on hand to do more diagnostics on the problem without going home with at least one empty mag.
3. I should always carry more than one kind of practice ammo - even if it is just a spare box of something else. I don't know for sure until I get back to the range if this was a problem with the Winchester I was shooting, or the gun. Four FTFires, and only one fired with a second strike, so I really suspect ammo, but can't rule out the firearm either.
4. I should keep more parts on hand- this gun had the trigger worked on by a VERY GOOD gunsmith/armorer who doesn't work on guns anymore for the public - so I have always been hesitant to mess with trigger/hammer-related springs. But I think now it is time to do exactly that, and not having those parts readily available meant that I now have to wait.
5. I need more dry-fire time, so that when I go to the range I can suck less.
6. Sights that I liked a lot until I started working on a press-out style presentation may or may not be appropriate to a press-out style presentation. I think I need a more open rear sight so that I can "find" the front sight faster. When working purely for precision, the current sights are fine, but speeding up at all makes it harder to find the front sight.

Looks like it is time to order a lot more ammo, and start looking into new sights.

-shooter

shootist26
07-05-2013, 08:48 AM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8465-First-strike-no-ignition-2nd-strike-ignition-what-to-fix

You aren't the only one getting intermittent light strikes with your Sig. My P239 started doing it occasionally after a thousand or so failure free rounds.

I have a new firing pin positioning pin on order and will send to the gunsmith to inspect and replace.