PDA

View Full Version : Proper grip insert fitting, is there such a thing?

part-time shooter
05-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Is there more to this than using the one that you like the most? i.e. I like the feel of the smallest back strap on an M&P, and that's fine for an M&P 45. I also like the smallest backstrap for an M&P9 or 40 as well but don't feel like my support hand is making as much contact as it could be if using a larger backstrap to spread my hand out over more of the grip. Does this really matter?

Is there something to this or is it simply what feels best? it's not what I shoot best with, I can shoot fine slow fire groups with any backstrap and still draw and hit a pie plate or -0 zone out to 7 yards with no issues with all of the back straps although the large on the 45 is pushing it for comfort. that's draw - bang, repeat, I didn't do any draw - bang, bang, bang, bang, drills while messing with this. I got to thinking about it after reading a thread on m4carbine.net about some posters shooting better with the larger backstraps installed so I thought I'd try it. I don't see much difference if any in my very informal testing but I could be missing something and not know it.

Is there a rule of thumb for proper fitting for the various backstrap sizes?

Thanks!

TCinVA
05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
As a matter of fact, there is: Use the one that allows you to run the gun best.

I know that sounds simplistic, but it's actually about experimenting with different options on the range and in dryfire to determine which insert allows you to get full 360 degree contact on the pistol (no gaps in your grip) while still allowing you to reach all the important controls comfortably...without interfering with the function of any of the important controls.

For me the largest grip insert for the M&P feels best...but I tend to get a gap between my hands when using it. With the medium insert I'd prefer a bit more real estate in some areas, but I always get a solid grip with no gaps using it. That makes it the better choice for me even though it doesn't "feel" the best in my hands.

Strings of fire that involve multiple shots are important in seeing whether or not the grip makes your hands more or less likely to separate under recoil.

zml342
05-10-2011, 05:25 AM
+1 to what TC said.

I found that on my P30 the smallest panels felt the best. However, I learned that while they fit they best they caused me to prevent the slide from locking back. By playing with the larger size panels and tweaking my grip some I have gotten a stronger grip with access to all controls and ensuring that I don't interfere with them at the same time. It may not feel as "comfortable," but it helps me control the pistol better.

TGS
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
It may not feel as "comfortable," but it helps me control the pistol better.

I think this is a good point. Just because it's the most comfortable backstrap upon initially gripping the pistol does not mean you'll shoot the best.

The first thousand rounds through my P2000 I used the large backstrap because it felt most comfortable. I wasn't shooting as well as I'd liked to, so I switched it out with the medium backstrap to see if it would help. Yup.....instant, dramatic improvement. I've had the medium on for the last 10,000 rounds, even though it feels too small.

MechEng
05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Something you might also want to try, before going to the range, is to do some dry fire press-outs with each of the different grip inserts. Establish your proper grip, close your eyes as you press out, and then open your eyes to see where your sight alignment ends up. Do this repeatedly several times and see where your natural point of aim is with that grip inserts. The goal here is to settle on the insert where the sights are roughly lined up and not drastically pointing left, right, up or down. Use this as a starting point and then follow what TCinVA said. Ultimately the only way to find the right grip panels is by experimentation.

With the M&P9 the small grip felt the best but I settled on the medium insert. With the M&P45 the small grip felt the best and worked the best for me. With the P30’s all the different grip insert permutations felt good and I settled on the large side panels with the medium back strap. This set up also seemed to fix my problem of premature slide lock.

YVK
05-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I know that sounds simplistic, but it's actually about experimenting with different options on the range and in dryfire to determine which insert allows you to get full 360 degree contact on the pistol (no gaps in your grip) while still allowing you to reach all the important controls comfortably...without interfering with the function of any of the important controls.

Having spent last couple of evenings changing inserts on my P30, I'd add two more points:
- reach to a trigger, i.e. avoidance of set-up favoring too much or too little trigger finger - just ran into this with small backstrap
- allowing support hand to come to a good contact with a grip. Too small of circumference can actually lead to a de-facto gap in a grip.

MechEng
05-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Too small of circumference can actually lead to a de-facto gap in a grip.

When experimenting with the P30 grip inserts, I noticed the same thing. The largest side panels helped and gave me more contact area to grip.

ToddG
05-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Priorities when choosing grip size, in order of importance:

Gun runs reliably in your hands whether it be 2H, SHO, or WHO.
You can reach all the necessary controls 2H, SHO, WHO.
Maximum control of the gun in terms of accuracy.
Maximum control of the gun in terms of speed.
Comfort.