PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Nylon Duty Gear

TheNewbie
07-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Do any of you have any experience or advice for cleaning nylon duty belts and gear?

I have been wearing the same duty belt and gear for a few years now and it is in desperate need of a cleaning. I tired scrubbing with soap and water but it had almost no effect.

It may just be time to buy a new set up but I tend to hold onto things for as long as they will last.

Thanks

orionz06
07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
I have cleaned outdoor gear that had some nasty funk on it with diluted Simple Green and jr worked very well.

jlw
07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Warm water and a rag will do the job. Add some detergent if needed.

JDM
07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
If you have access to an air compressor, blowing the dust and grime off before you wash it also makes a huge difference.

Crawls
07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Simple Green!

41magfan
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I’ve found the best way to maintain nylon gear of all types is to keep it clean from the get-go with regular cleaning with a soft brush and mild detergent. Dirt tends to act like an abrasive and causes excess wear and tear. It’s also best to let your gear dry out of direct sunlight if possible.

ST911
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
I've used a brush with Simple Green or Dawn. Pressure wash can help, but do so limitedly and only with quality gear.

Chuck Haggard
07-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I strip off everything that can rust and submerge the whole mess in the bath tub, soap and a small fingernail type scrub brush from there.

This worked well on my old TA50/Alice gear, also works on my nylon duty gear.

Anti bacterial soap if I need to deal with blood exposure.

JM Campbell
07-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Steamer works wonders and can be used for many other things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

BobLoblaw
07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
FYI fact: urine distresses and weakens many natural and synthetic fibers like nylon. Load-bearing materials should be replaced in these types of events. Not implying anything obviously (just a FYI).

Joseph B.
07-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Pressure washer if you have one / know someone. Carwash works okay too. Steam cleaning works but nylon tends to degrade with heat. Also the more chemicals you put on it the more of a chance of degrading the nylon as well. I prefer just water out of a pressure washer. Keep the tip of the washer back away atleast 12inches and gradually work it closer as needed. Pay close attention to the nylon material, if you notice the material is straining then back off so that you don't jack up the fibers.

Once you clean to your liking let it air dry inside (not in direct sun light or with high heat). Sun light and heat cause discoloration and degrades the nylon fibers.

FYI: I've been cleaning my nylon gear like this since 2001, and I've never had an issue.

secondstoryguy
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Pressure wash with water only. Detergents and chemicals can bleach and degrade nylon gear. It doesn't happen to all nylon, but I've had it happen a few times so now I just stick with pressurized water. I used to take mine to the car wash when I washed my car, hang it on the clamps for the mats, and spray it off.

I've also talked with London Bridge Trading and Mystery Ranch, both advise against any detergents or other chemicals on nylon gear.

TheNewbie
07-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the tips!

I am actually excited about trying some of these as my gear is looking worn. Going to my brother's house on my days off so I will be using his tools to get the job done.

Even when I clean this I may take a look at the Bianchi Accumold Elite duty gear. Looks like leather but has the weight of nylon, and it seems rather easy to maintain.

Again thanks for all the replies and help. I will let you all know how it turns out.