PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms Phosphate BCG, experiences, recommendations?

helothar
06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this BCG http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3759 ?
Bolt is listed as MPI but I don't see anything about HPT.

Is this good to go or should I drop the extra $40 on a BCM?

Pennzoil
06-29-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd pony up for the BCM.

I had a Rainier Arms custom upper built a couple years ago that had a number of issues. It didn't have the phospate BCG listed so take it for its worth. Rainier will try hard to make things right if you have issues but I'd just rather have it work the first time. Upper never ran or shot right so dumped it.

BWT
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
I've only ever heard of BCM BCG's wearing out. I haven't ever heard of one being defective.

ETA: We own 4 BCM rifles in my family (Two awaiting transfer) I haven't ever heard of a defective BCM Rifle. Both companies have great CS though. A BCG is a part in an AR15 that you need to be able to trust in.

zacbol
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I ordered one and just received it today. Hard to say much, though the staking leaves a bit to be desired. If folks are interested I can post a pic.

I recently picked up a blemished BCM lower to replace the Colt 6940 I foolishly sold just prior to the recent panic. I also had an extra Colt BCG I also foolishly dumped a few months prior to that. I was trying to pull some money together for other things. Lesson learned.

If BCM (or Colt) BCGs were commonly available and not ridiculously priced I think that's the no brainer. The only thing I have seen lately is the BCM BCG with charging handle for 270 (!) which is way more than I'm willing to spend. I've heard generally good things about Rainier and the bolt seems to be in spec and is MPI--though not HPT so I don't know how much value the MPI actually has in such a case.