PDA

View Full Version : Size comparison: G19 vs M&P?

jslaker
05-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm interested in how these two compare size wise, and how that affects the concealability of each. I'd been considering a move to a Gen4 G19, but with the current issues plaguing those guns, I'm nearly to the point of scrapping the idea and possibly picking up an M&P instead.

I currently carry a USP Compact, which is nearly identical in size and shape to the G19, and it works well form factor wise for me. The M&P is a bit larger dimension wise, but I haven't been able to find much picture wise -- i.e., one sitting on top of the other -- that would give me a particularly good feel for how much of a difference that increased size would actually make.

I intend to drop by my LGS sometime this week to compare them a bit closer in person (I've fired both several times in the past, but never side by side), but I know we've got several people here with fairly extensive experience with both guns, and was wondering if I could get some input on this.

willowofwisp
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
DocGKR has a few good pics comparing a full size m&p and a glock 19

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59604

jslaker
05-07-2011, 05:50 PM
DocGKR has a few good pics comparing a full size m&p and a glock 19

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59604

Thanks for the link. Going for a walk now, I'll give it a look when I get back.

Pennzoil
05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Here is some amateurish pictures of my 19 next to my FS M&P 9. There has to be some better ones on the interwebs somewhere. I have a fair amount carry experience with the 19 but just starting off with the M&P (roughly 2 weeks) so not enough experience to offer up much other then the photo's.

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/2333/img2767.jpg
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9669/img2762e.jpg

jslaker
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Both willow's link and Pennzoil's pics give me a better idea of what to expect than what I've seen so far. Thanks guys.

The M&P9+DCAEK is sounding like a pretty nice idea right now; I was never a huge fan of the Gen3's ergos, so the idea of just getting one of those instead never particularly appealed to me.

Chefdog
05-09-2011, 07:55 AM
I'd been considering a move to a Gen4 G19, but with the current issues plaguing those guns, I'm nearly to the point of scrapping the idea...

I was never a huge fan of the Gen3's ergos, so the idea of just getting one of those instead never particularly appealed to me.

I can sympathize with your frustrations. I currently have an M&P and want to pick up a g19. I thought the gen4 would be the Glock I could finally come to grips with (BAD pun). But when I finally went to the LGS and handled the Gen3 and Gen4 side by side I didnt really notice much difference in how they felt in the hand. I guess I was expecting a more pronounced difference in the feel, which has me leaning back towards the gen3 along with the gen4's teething problems.
Anyone else feel this way? Or am I missing something?

orionz06
05-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I currently carry a USP Compact, which is nearly identical in size and shape to the G19, and it works well form factor wise for me. The M&P is a bit larger dimension wise, but I haven't been able to find much picture wise -- i.e., one sitting on top of the other -- that would give me a particularly good feel for how much of a difference that increased size would actually make.

I can only speak from memory, but I had both a USP compact 9mm and a G23 at the same time and I seem to recall the USP grip being "full size" and longer than that of the compact Glock. I also believe that the USP compact grip was the same size (length) as the M&P.

No promises, but I might have some side by side pics on my hard drive, will update later if I do.

jslaker
05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I can sympathize with your frustrations. I currently have an M&P and want to pick up a g19. I thought the gen4 would be the Glock I could finally come to grips with (BAD pun). But when I finally went to the LGS and handled the Gen3 and Gen4 side by side I didnt really notice much difference in how they felt in the hand. I guess I was expecting a more pronounced difference in the feel, which has me leaning back towards the gen3 along with the gen4's teething problems.
Anyone else feel this way? Or am I missing something?

The rework of the mag release is a big part of it for me. The improved stippling is another part of it; I don't really have any desire to fool around with adding a bunch of skate tape to my guns.

I can only speak from memory, but I had both a USP compact 9mm and a G23 at the same time and I seem to recall the USP grip being "full size" and longer than that of the compact Glock. I also believe that the USP compact grip was the same size (length) as the M&P.

No promises, but I might have some side by side pics on my hard drive, will update later if I do.
I've seen both guns listed as having an overall height of 5.00 inches. It's possible that's understating things for the USPc if that measurement only goes to the bottom of the mag well since the extended floorplate on most USPc mags adds quite a bit of length.

Chefdog
05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
The rework of the mag release is a big part of it for me. The improved stippling is another part of it; I don't really have any desire to fool around with adding a bunch of skate tape to my guns.

I did like the texture on the gen4, a measurable improvement and better than the M&P as well. I'll have to defer about the mag release because I don't have enough rounds through glocks to forge an opinion. I don't have any problem manipulating the mag catch on the m&p. Can someone make an educated comparison between gen3/4 vs m&p in that regard?

Eta: please disregard that thumbs down icon, posting from my phone and I guess my thumbs hit it somehow. I do appreciate the opinions, thanks.

jslaker
05-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Picked up an M&P over the weekend. I'll upload pictures when I have time in the next couple of days, but it turns out that it's very close in overall size to the USPc. The extended floorplate on the USPc magazines make the overall height of the two guns almost identical. The M&P is about a half-inch longer at the muzzle end, and it's about the same length longer at the back of the gun due to the beaver tail (which I'm considering knocking off after I'm sure the gun is issue-free).

Chefdog
05-23-2011, 01:58 PM
The M&P is about a half-inch longer at the muzzle end, and it's about the same length longer at the back of the gun due to the beaver tail (which I'm considering knocking off after I'm sure the gun is issue-free).

One of the first (and very few) things I did to my M&P was grind off most of the beavertail. I took it down just to where it stopped making contact with my hand. I'm about as mechanically inept as they come, but 10 minutes with a dremel and some sandpaper was all it took. I just wish it was that easy to get rid of the extra +/- inch of grip length.

What made you decide to go with the M&P over Glock?

jslaker
05-23-2011, 02:37 PM
What made you decide to go with the M&P over Glock?

I like the ergos of the M&P better, especially compared to Gen3 guns. Given choosing between an M&P and a Gen4 Glock, the current issues with Gen4 guns made me shy away from them. I rented both guns in the past couple of weeks and shot both about equally well, so choosing the one with what I perceive to be better reliability and controls more to my liking seemed the obvious choice.

I'm very happy with the trigger feel on the copy I got, at least from a dryfire perspective, and only really see myself swapping the sights for a pair with tritium and installing an Apex RAM as I'd like a more positive reset.

Chefdog
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
I like the ergos of the M&P better, especially compared to Gen3 guns.

I'm very happy with the trigger feel on the copy I got, at least from a dryfire perspective

I picked the M&P over a g19 several years ago for the same reason. Now I think that the g19 might be a better gun for my current needs. I just wish the gen4's worked since it might make the transition a little easier than going with the gen3.

FWIW, after 1000 rds or so, the trigger on my M&P smoothed out considerably.
Let us know how it works out for you.

jslaker
05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
FWIW, after 1000 rds or so, the trigger on my M&P smoothed out considerably.
Let us know how it works out for you.

Very little grit on mine out of the box. Once I hit the internals with a bit of CLP, it was plenty smooth for my taste. According to the datecode on the box, it's a late Nov 2010 production gun, for whatever that's wort.

Like I said, I'm mostly interested in the RAM because the stock reset has a very weak feel to me, enough so that I could easily see myself short stroking the trigger.