PDA

View Full Version : Question About P30 v3 Trigger Mods

Corlissimo
06-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi All,

I've been working with my P30L v3 for over a year now and it's time to make some changes. The stock Meprolights are getting replaced, probably with the Trijicon HDNS set. My real issue/question is how to lighten the P30 v3 DA pull.

Searches on this forum have been fruitless, my search-fu has failed me. Searches on HKPro have yielded only results saying roughly that "it can't be done", but those posts are a few years old.

I thought I recalled something about changing out the FPB spring but that's about all I remember. Has anyone here done this? Or can anyone point me to the correct information? If it can't be done it's not the end of the world, it's just something that I was looking to explore a bit.

Note: This is currently my EDC gun and is carried AIWB almost exclusively. I'm also getting ready to purchase a P2000SK in the next month that will likely end up taking over as primary EDC, so I'd be interested in a similar mod to it as well for consistency's sake.

TIA

-steve

hufnagel
06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
curious myself.

v3 already has the light TRS.
I swapped out the FPBS for the light version on both mine, and it makes a noticable difference in the SA trigger feel.
Really the killer in DA is the hammer spring. I don't think there's a lighter version for that. Maybe look and see what the V1 specs for a hammer spring as compared to V3?

Corlissimo
06-29-2013, 09:43 PM
From everything I've read so far, the v3 hammer spring is already the lightest possible without causing potential light strike issues.

Thanks for the info on the FPBS, I didn't know it only affects the SA pull.

TGS
06-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Well, you could go one route: Send it to Bill Springfield. The DA will be much lighter. Whether or not the gun works is a separate issue.....along with whether or not it gets fixed if it doesn't work.

My P2000 was sent to Gray Guns. Waste of money unless you're a short-reset whore. Trying to improve the feel of a P-series trigger is like squeezing water from a rock. You're better off just buying a different gun if you want a pleasing trigger, IMO.

GJM
06-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, you could go one route: Send it to Bill Springfield. The DA will be much lighter. Whether or not the gun works is a separate issue.....along with whether or not it gets fixed if it doesn't work..

Been there, done that -- don't do it!!

You buy an HK for quality, and having Springfield mess with our trigger defeats the reason for buying an HK.

CCT125US
06-29-2013, 10:18 PM
I swapped out the stock FPBS to the light version. Dropped about 10 ounces on the DA pull and 11 on the SA pull. It also seemed to smooth things out. One thing that has helped me is finger placement on the trigger. For example, I was using the middle of the pad on the middle of the trigger. Consciously switching the contact point to the finger tip on the bottom of the trigger has been beneficial. This creates more leverage but required some conscious effort to change. However that can create issues with the trough for some folks. As far as the hammer spring, I like the strength of the stock spring. A buddy had purchased some milsurp 9mm. 3 guns would not set them off but the P30 V3 ran it fine. Easy enough to say lesson learned, don't buy that brand again, but it spoke to the reliability for me.

hufnagel
06-30-2013, 06:01 AM
as CTS noted it effects both. I just said that it was NOTICEABLE in SA. :D That's a personal observation clearly. Some others might be able to notice it in DA as well. I'd be curious if anyone has any numbers on a light LEM for both SA and DA (when it's going for a second strike) as compared to a V3. might have to haunt HKPRO for that.

Corlissimo
06-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Well, you could go one route: Send it to Bill Springfield. The DA will be much lighter. Whether or not the gun works is a separate issue.....along with whether or not it gets fixed if it doesn't work.

My P2000 was sent to Gray Guns. Waste of money unless you're a short-reset whore. Trying to improve the feel of a P-series trigger is like squeezing water from a rock. You're better off just buying a different gun if you want a pleasing trigger, IMO.

I have no real issues with the current DA/SA trigger and find it mostly pleasing. It could be a little smoother and I'm sure that will happen with more rounds fired. In the meantime, I've been trying to focus on rolling the trigger and I think that it's been working out fairly well so far. I definitely don't think it's bad enough to look at another gun (besides a v3 P2SK) any time in the foreseeable future. I love the HK build quality too much to ditch it. I don't think this is a hardware issue at all. :)

I swapped out the stock FPBS to the light version. Dropped about 10 ounces on the DA pull and 11 on the SA pull. It also seemed to smooth things out. One thing that has helped me is finger placement on the trigger. For example, I was using the middle of the pad on the middle of the trigger. Consciously switching the contact point to the finger tip on the bottom of the trigger has been beneficial. This creates more leverage but required some conscious effort to change. However that can create issues with the trough for some folks. As far as the hammer spring, I like the strength of the stock spring. A buddy had purchased some milsurp 9mm. 3 guns would not set them off but the P30 V3 ran it fine. Easy enough to say lesson learned, don't buy that brand again, but it spoke to the reliability for me.

I have tried the finger placement change as well and that is when I finally understood the "trough issue" I've read about. Interesting anecdotal data point on the milsurp ammo and its functioning in the HK. I do like the possibility of FPBS swap. Mostly I'm interested in a smoother pull. A little lighter pull certainly wouldn't hurt either.

As I originally stated, I'm just looking for a little tweak, not a major change. Looks like the info provided might just be the thing I'm after. As far as smoother goes, two additional questions:

1. Have any of you done your own light polishing/stoning of the trigger to smooth it out at all?

2. What's the part # for the FPB spring you used?

Thanks for the feedback guys! More is always welcomed. And, if I'm smokin' crack please tell me! :cool:

CCT125US
06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
I do like the possibility of FPBS swap. Mostly I'm interested in a smoother pull. A little lighter pull certainly wouldn't hurt either.
IMO it certainly smoothed out the pull. The decreased resistance "feels" smoother
As I originally stated, I'm just looking for a little tweak, not a major change. Looks like the info provided might just be the thing I'm after. As far as smoother goes, two additional questions:

1. Have any of you done your own light polishing/stoning of the trigger to smooth it out at all?
No, between dry fire and live fire I do nothing more
2. What's the part # for the FPB spring you used?
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Firing-Pin-Block-Spring-New-Style-Light-258p1955.htm
Thanks for the feedback guys! More is always welcomed. And, if I'm smokin' crack please tell me! :cool: