PDA

View Full Version : The re-shoot gods

archangel
06-28-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't know how widespread this knowledge is, but at least amongst the guys I shoot with we have a saying that "the re-shoot gods are never kind."

Last weekend during a match, I had one stage that didn't go so great. The time was ok, but the hits were "meh" and I was pretty sure I had a mike on the last target. Then during scoring, we discovered that the last couple targets hadn't gotten pasted (and sure enough, the last target had 3 holes, not 4). There was some debate as to whether we could figure out an accurate score, when the RO turns to me and says, "Your call. You want to re-shoot?"

Now, given the saying that I recounted at the top of this post, plus the fact that I probably would have gotten credit for a hit instead of miss on that last target, if I was smart my answer to that question would be "No, Mr RO sir. I most certainly do not want to re-shoot."

If I was smart.

What I actually said was, "Yeah, I'll re-shoot. I'll go right now. I don't need to prep. I've got a full mag right here. Let's go. Let's do this." Or words to that effect. There may have possibly also been words sort of implying that if I went quick enough the re-shoot gods maybe wouldn't be paying attention yet, or something. I don't recall, exactly.

So, I get back on the line, the timer goes beep, and I start shooting. I get off three rounds, and then I have, I kitten you not, the only spontaneous double feed I've ever had in a pistol in 16+ years of shooting. I stop, and look at the gun, and later the squad that was watching me is able to recount to me, verbatim, the exact phrase that went through my head at that moment. Weird.

Anyway, I clear the double feed, forget to make up the shot on target 2, throw another mike somewhere further along, and then decide to take a make-up shot on the last target like 48 seconds*** after I'd finished shooting. But hey, at least that shot was an A.

Oh, did I mention this was a classifier?

Bunch of jerks, those re-shoot gods.

***slight exaggeration

Al T.
06-28-2013, 06:54 PM
LOL....... :)

Slavex
07-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Another set of Angus's wise words (this is from memory) "Don't buy into that BS about reshoot gods not being kind, you start thinking like that you've already sewered yourself. A reshoot is your chance to do better. You already know what to do, where to make changes, so do it. Does it always work? No, but if you go in thinking it won't it won't"