PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Munitions, anyone tried this ammo yet?

Chuck Haggard
06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Tough to find 9mm anywhere, and I found this in stock;
http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-New-p/fm9r115n-c1000.htm

Anyone tried their ammo yet?

William B.
06-27-2013, 05:05 PM
I ordered 500rds of their 124gr remanufactured 9mm a while back. Just went through the first 200rds this afternoon with no hitches.

Jay Cunningham
06-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, it's not bad.

jetfire
06-27-2013, 05:11 PM
I have a case of their .45 ACP waiting for when I finally run out of American Eagle.

cclaxton
06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Tough to find 9mm anywhere, and I found this in stock;
http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-New-p/fm9r115n-c1000.htm

Anyone tried their ammo yet?

I used to buy their ammo all the time. It is good ammo.
But they don't always have it in-stock, so I found another source and started my own ammo resale business for shooters in the Mid-Atlantic area.

PM me if you want to know about my commercially reloaded ammo.

Thanks,
CC

texasaggie2005
06-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Being they are the closest ammo retailer to me, I shoot their stuff a lot. Probably 3k of 115gr & 147gr 9mm fmj and about 500 of 230gr .45 fmj in the last 6-7 months. Had 1 bad primer I think.

PPGMD
06-27-2013, 09:45 PM
I've had no issues with their 115gr stuff. But their 147gr load gives me a strange POI shift (horizontal) that I don't get with Atlanta Arms 147gr load, or other bullet weight loads. I've never seen a horizontal POI shift in pistols, the typical POI shift I've seen has been vertical.

Anyways I would rate them about even with the major reloading companies like BVAC, or Georgia Arms.

Chuck Haggard
06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
I've had no issues with their 115gr stuff. But their 147gr load gives me a strange POI shift (horizontal) that I don't get with Atlanta Arms 147gr load, or other bullet weight loads. I've never seen a horizontal POI shift in pistols, the typical POI shift I've seen has been vertical.

Anyways I would rate them about even with the major reloading companies like BVAC, or Georgia Arms.

Hopefully more like Georgia Arms than BVAC.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

justintime
06-27-2013, 11:50 PM
I've shot 4k of their stuff through the last year and this year. I have had no issues at all with it. That said I have only shot their 9mm offerings as I was weary of rifle due to connections to an older company that had some kabooms from mixed up powders.

orionz06
06-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Glad to hear it is working well. Too many new companies out there without knowing what is worth a damn.

justintime
06-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Glad to hear it is working well. Too many new companies out there without knowing what is worth a damn.

I have turned a few of my family and friends onto them as well and I have not seen any issues.

Default.mp3
06-28-2013, 07:11 AM
I've run 492 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115 gr. RN, new, without any issues. A lot of people at the ECQC class I was in in May were using Freedom Munitions, and there was only one issue that I recall, which was caught before shooting: the bullet was freely getting pushed down into the brass, and could be pulled back to get an almost normal OAL. IIRC, it was a 9mm.

Chuck Haggard
06-28-2013, 07:13 AM
I have seen enough blown up guns that I have almost totally swore off of reloads, especially in .223/5.56, even from Black Hills. Too much "once fired brass" isn't.

We were trading in our brass to a couple of vendors for ammo. The thought occurred to me that if we are just picking up whatever hits the deck and sending it in, then so is everybody else.

A lot of 5.56 brass coming from the .mil is being run through SAWs, which stretches the hell out of the brass and can easily lead to case head separations when reloaded. I have seen a number of carbines blown up from this sort of thing when using factory "remanufactured" ammo.

Although reloads in 9mm are less chancy, I have seen one G17 blown up from reman ammo, so I am still a bit hinky about it and picky about who's ammo I shoot. Frankly I'm sticking to shooting ammo from places that I know I can force to buy me a new gun if their ammo blows the gun up. Far easier to do that with Federal or Winchester than an outfit making ammo in someplace like Malaysia or where ever, or a just popped up ammo "factory" that is running in the back of Uncle Ralph's garage.

I have had dealings with a couple of well known reload ammo makers that have left me soured on dealing with that sort of bullshit.

This Freedom ammo being made in new brass for very little more than reloads caught my eye, that and they seem to be a legit factory and not a fly by night type place.

justintime
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
I ran 500 rounds of their new 124g hollow point offerings and it was super high quality and accurate. They were using Speer brass

I have seen enough blown up guns that I have almost totally swore off of reloads, especially in .223/5.56, even from Black Hills. Too much "once fired brass" isn't.

We were trading in our brass to a couple of vendors for ammo. The thought occurred to me that if we are just picking up whatever hits the deck and sending it in, then so is everybody else.

A lot of 5.56 brass coming from the .mil is being run through SAWs, which stretches the hell out of the brass and can easily lead to case head separations when reloaded. I have seen a number of carbines blown up from this sort of thing when using factory "remanufactured" ammo.

Although reloads in 9mm are less chancy, I have seen one G17 blown up from reman ammo, so I am still a bit hinky about it and picky about who's ammo I shoot. Frankly I'm sticking to shooting ammo from places that I know I can force to buy me a new gun if their ammo blows the gun up. Far easier to do that with Federal or Winchester than an outfit making ammo in someplace like Malaysia or where ever, or a just popped up ammo "factory" that is running in the back of Uncle Ralph's garage.

I have had dealings with a couple of well known reload ammo makers that have left me soured on dealing with that sort of bullshit.

This Freedom ammo being made in new brass for very little more than reloads caught my eye, that and they seem to be a legit factory and not a fly by night type place.

Chuck Haggard
06-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Who's JHP bullet are they using, looks kinda funny in the screen shot on the site.

justintime
06-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Who's JHP bullet are they using, looks kinda funny in the screen shot on the site.

xtp hornady I believe. That is what you get with the NEW. The funky looking jhp bullet is their re-manufactured deal and I have no idea what that bullet is.

I should also add that I bought a batch of 115 grain re-manufactured that had much older brass than before the ammo drought through freedom. For what its worth the brass they were using before seemed... newer lol.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/davisjustin10/33C61F06-3FBC-4A46-8FB2-46AE9EB02290-294-0000001E332F30ED_zps82495a61.jpg

cclaxton
06-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Like anything, if you do good quality control, use good components, have consistent manufacturing methods, and check each piece of brass and reject any that are marginal, you will end up with a great product. I shoot nothing but reloaded 9mm now, and I NEVER have any issues using my Cz75. I think I remember a dud or two with freedom munitions last year.

That being said: There are some guns that seem to be less tolerant of reloaded ammo. The Kahr chambers are not full chambers and I have had two rounds blow out at the rim shooting my PM-9 with reloads. I have never seen that happen with factory in the Kahr. I can't attest to other models of Kahr handguns, but I would expect the CM-9 to be the same.

If you do good QC, then the product is just as good, if not better, than factory.

And, don't forget that factory ammo has defects every once in a while. I saw a shooter open up a brand new 100 round box and found two malformed bullets, and one bullet with the primer in backwards. (Winchester White). And, that is not even talking about the horrible performance of Wolf and other Eastern European steel rounds.

CC

Rex Kramer
06-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Out if curiosity has anyone chrono'd the 115gr 9mm? I don't reload so I shoot a lot 0f factory stuff. I was curious if it would make power factor with a good margin.

Chuck Haggard
06-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Reply from their CS guy ref question on what JHPs they use;

The reman is our plated bullet and the new is a Hornady XTP

JAD
06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
If you do good QC, then the product is just as good, if not better, than factory.

That is not generally how manufacturing works in my experience, particularly when 'QC' means 'inspection' rather than process control. In HVM of most any sort, defect incident reduction is the product of process maturity and development.

cclaxton
06-29-2013, 04:46 AM
That is not generally how manufacturing works in my experience, particularly when 'QC' means 'inspection' rather than process control. In HVM of most any sort, defect incident reduction is the product of process maturity and development.

JAD,
Completely agree. I was really commenting on whether commercially reloaded can be as reliable and the components can be trusted. In the case of my reloader, he pressure-tests every casing and measures the dimensions to ensure he has a quality component before it hits the bullet assembly line.

CC

Chuck Whitlock
06-29-2013, 10:22 PM
tpd223,
You might contact these guys:

https://www.americanbullet.com/

I have not used any massive volume or anything, but what I've seen is decent, and they have been good to our state LEFI association.
The website is lacking....best bet is to contact them via phone/email.

JV_
06-30-2013, 07:42 AM
https://www.americanbullet.com/

They have a links section, with 9 links. 6 are for Ignatius Piazza and 3 are for Front Sight.

Are they affiliated with them?

Chuck Whitlock
06-30-2013, 05:22 PM
They have a links section, with 9 links. 6 are for Ignatius Piazza and 3 are for Front Sight.

Are they affiliated with them?

I did note the links, and wasn't impressed by that at all.

They are a relatively new company (within the last 5 years, I believe). The last 3 years that I have been a member of the Nebraska Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, they have donated ammo for / had a presence at our annual conferences, and all I have used/seen has been of good quality. My thinking was that backlog may not be so long for a smaller, less well known company. Also, they are geographically relatively close to TPD223's location (8 hrs or so).

The few times I was in contact with their LE rep, I forgot to ask about the IP/FS connection.

This is the extent of my experience with them to date. When I do go to purchase a quantity of range ammo out of pocket, they will be one of my first contacts, though.

Crusader8207
06-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I shot 500 rounds of Freedom Munitions reloads today. I had one bad round in which it was a FTF in my Glock 19. As I went to clear the malfunction I found that the brass case had peeled back like a banana. YMMV

Chuck Haggard
06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Was that a "fails to feed"?

And I assume that the brass was damaged before it went into the chamber, and is what caused the fails to feed?

Crusader8207
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I had looked at it prior to putting it into the mag and it appeared fine.

Morbidbattlecry
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I've used about a 1000 rounds(reloaded) of it out of my G17 and it has run ok. Its really dirty though, I get carbon flakes on my arms after firing only a few rounds. One major problem i have had with there reloaded stuff is it will not run in tight chambers. I have a Springer Loaded 1911 in 9mm, and most rounds will not fit into the chamber. I'm talking pretty much every round i have tried. I'm running the stock barrel btw. Now i run a wilson match barrel in my G17 and it runs fine in that. I don't know about there new manufacture ammo.

Chuck Haggard
07-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I have 500 rounds of the 115gr reloads coming, since it was in stock and under $150 I thought it worth the rsik to try out. I shall be reporting later on how it shoots.

roadsiderob
07-06-2013, 10:28 AM
My roommate put in a big order for 115g FMJ and I got 1K rounds of it. Just started shooting it 2 weeks ago. It runs fine in my PPQ and my GFs M&P, but my gen2 G19 doesn't like it. Had several targets that looked like the rounds were keyholeing. Also problems going into battery. I field stripped the G19 at the range figuring some gravel got into it, as I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the ammo. No joy. With the barrel out & a round inserted into the chamber it became very clear that some of this ammo is not concentric. I could drop the round into the chamber one way and it would be fine, rotate the round 180 degrees and it would stick out of the chamber & prevent the gun from going into battery. Closer inspection of the rounds reveal that some of them aren't perfectly concentric. Switching to different ammo for the Glock had it running fine. I'll finish off the case by shooting it through my PPQ, but probably won't buy this ammo again.

Kennydale
07-07-2013, 12:55 AM
The have a store here in Houston. I definitely want to try them out. The people who ran my basic and CHL classes recommend them. i was told they run a little dirty, but i can live with that.

fn/form
07-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I shot 500 rounds of Freedom Munitions reloads today. I had one bad round in which it was a FTF in my Glock 19. As I went to clear the malfunction I found that the brass case had peeled back like a banana. YMMV

I picked up 250rds of Freedom 9mm/115 reloads and 200rds of the .223/55 reloads. I inspected several rounds out of the first few boxes. Lots of different headstamps but everything appeared OK.

During some informal instruction demos I fired several G17 mags and then had a FTF. The case was stuck out of battery. TRB didn't do a thing, it was BUG-stuck. When removed we found the edge of the case was banana peeled. I inspected the box and found a few more banana peeled in the same box. We had just covered malfunction drills, and the previous day I had covered inspection of duty ammunition. You can't time teaching moments better than that.

Other than that they functioned fine. I never checked accuracy past 7yds.

The .223 reloads have all shot fine, but again I haven't checked accuracy past 25yds.

I'll examine and shoot up the rest, but they're the first and last reloads I'll buy. Nice to hear they have a new brass mfg option, I might try that.

Chuck Haggard
07-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I ordered up 500 rounds of the Freedom Munitions 115gr reloads, took about a week to get them with shipping time. Paid $162 shipped.

I shot about 150 rounds today at a local IDPA match. All of the ammo fed and fired without issue, was about as accurate as the 124gr Federal AE I was shooting considering that I wasn't exactly bench testing the ammo, and didn't appear to shoot any dirtier than any other generic ball ammo I have fired.

I'll note that although this was billed as reloads all of the ammo I looked at and shot today had the same headstamp so they may have sent me new ammo. I am not a "fit and finish" guy and generally abhor that mentality, however I did note that this ammo looks good visually, no obvious flaws on visual checking, really pretty-shiny, with none of the things I often see in other brands of ammo such as tumbling media stuck in the primer pocket area, etc.

I also noted two other shooters in my squad using this brand of ammo at the match, one shooting .38 special 125gr FMJFP reman, and the other .45acp 230gr RNFMJ from a 1911, neither shooter had any ammo related issues.

Chuck Haggard
08-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Another 150 rounds down the tube with no problems, and the above noted guys shooting the 125gr .38special and 230gr .45acp also had no issues with the ammo.

The 115gr isn't real accurate from my Glock 17 or 19, I suspect due to a short plated bullet being shot from a polygonal rifled barrel. Same ammo shot from my G23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel shoots groups more the size I would expect it to.

Morbidbattlecry
08-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm going to have to take back my recommendation earlier in this thread. I've seen a serious drop in QC in some recent lots i've got from them. I recently got a box of 500 blaster 9mm from them. Out of the first 2 boxes i had 2 rounds push most of the way down into the case. While testing rounds that where not oversized as hell in my 1911 9mm i had one get set back into the case as well. On the 500 rounds i had before this i had a, i don't know what it was. I was shooting my glock and pulled the trigger and got nothing. Went to rack it out and slide is stuck. After breaking the slide down i had to use a flat head to pry the round out. I had a solid primer hit and the bullet was almost out of the case but was still hanging on by a thread. The case itself was also pretty stretched out. I thought it was maybe a squib load but i never heard anything. Just a click of the trigger. I'm gonna be honest. I kinda feel like shooting Wolf or tula before this stuff anymore.

jon volk
08-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the review morbid. I've been eyeing some of that stuff but bought a case of wolf 9mm instead. From your feedback, I'm glad I did.

Chuck Haggard
08-29-2013, 09:53 PM
That's disappointing.

Have you talked to their CS yet?

Morbidbattlecry
08-30-2013, 03:03 PM
That's disappointing.

Have you talked to their CS yet?

I e-mailed them last night and have not heard anything yet from them. I really don't expect i will unless i call. Under terms and conditions it basically says after it leaves the door its your problem.

BaiHu
08-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Loving it. It's my official go to practice ammo now that everything else is more expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

justintime
08-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm going to have to take back my recommendation earlier in this thread. I've seen a serious drop in QC in some recent lots i've got from them. I recently got a box of 500 blaster 9mm from them. Out of the first 2 boxes i had 2 rounds push most of the way down into the case. While testing rounds that where not oversized as hell in my 1911 9mm i had one get set back into the case as well. On the 500 rounds i had before this i had a, i don't know what it was. I was shooting my glock and pulled the trigger and got nothing. Went to rack it out and slide is stuck. After breaking the slide down i had to use a flat head to pry the round out. I had a solid primer hit and the bullet was almost out of the case but was still hanging on by a thread. The case itself was also pretty stretched out. I thought it was maybe a squib load but i never heard anything. Just a click of the trigger. I'm gonna be honest. I kinda feel like shooting Wolf or tula before this stuff anymore.

I have noticed in the last few weeks the qc has gone down a lot! that said since I chimed in here I have put out another 2k with no ammo problems. This batch I've gone to LAX to see how I like them.

Morbidbattlecry
09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I have noticed in the last few weeks the qc has gone down a lot! that said since I chimed in here I have put out another 2k with no ammo problems. This batch I've gone to LAX to see how I like them.

Let us know how that stuff works out. I've seen it on sale every once in a while and wondered about it.

HopetonBrown
09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I ordered 1,000 230gr in June. 1 bullet was not seated properly and fell back into the case.

PPGMD
10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I've shot a few cases of Freedom Munitions new, remanufactured, and blaster ammo in the past. This weekend at a class I had some light strike issues with some Freedom Munitions ammo that I purchased recently.

For kicks I decided to chamber gauge the remaining 200 rounds I had left. The result out of 200 rounds I had 10 rounds that wouldn't chamber in the gauge nor fall out freely. And another handful (didn't count) that would chamber but wouldn't freely fall out of the gauge.

I checked some of the Freedom Munitions ammo that I had left from a previous purchase. No issues. Nor any issues with the Atlanta Arms blue box 147 grain reloads.

I am not sure if this caused my light strikes, but it concerns me when there is such a high incidence of issues.

roadsiderob
10-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I've shot a few cases of Freedom Munitions new, remanufactured, and blaster ammo in the past. This weekend at a class I had some light strike issues with some Freedom Munitions ammo that I purchased recently.

For kicks I decided to chamber gauge the remaining 200 rounds I had left. The result out of 200 rounds I had 10 rounds that wouldn't chamber in the gauge nor fall out freely. And another handful (didn't count) that would chamber but wouldn't freely fall out of the gauge.

I checked some of the Freedom Munitions ammo that I had left from a previous purchase. No issues. Nor any issues with the Atlanta Arms blue box 147 grain reloads.

I am not sure if this caused my light strikes, but it concerns me when there is such a high incidence of issues.

This is basically the same issue I've had. The rounds are not concentric & sometimes the slide is just not quite closed & I get a light primer strike. My Glock refuses to run on this stuff, my GFs M&P is tolerating it and my PPQ is ok...only had 1 light strike with it. I've also had this ammo keyhole out of the Glock. Switching back to other ammo cures the problem, so I'm convinced it's an ammo problem.

justintime
10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Im another 1k through it. I strangely right when I finished up my last batch I shot wwb and had a double feed :p

BaiHu
10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Roadside and PPGMD,
If you're shooting a Glock, then light strikes seem more common. My HKs shoot it fine, but when I let my buddy shoot my Glock, it light striked. I loaded it in my HK ten minutes later and it had no problem firing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

PPGMD
10-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Roadside and PPGMD,
If you're shooting a Glock, then light strikes seem more common. My HKs shoot it fine, but when I let my buddy shoot my Glock, it light striked. I loaded it in my HK ten minutes later and it had no problem firing.

Apex'd M&P 9 in my case.

BaiHu
10-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Apex'd M&P 9 in my case.

Huh? Wonder if it's a striker fired issue :confused:

PPGMD
10-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Huh? Wonder if it's a striker fired issue :confused:

Possibly, perhaps hammer fired guns have enough energy to ignite the ammo even when it is just minor amount out of battery.

I am going to email Freedom and see what they say about this.

BaiHu
10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Be interested to see what they say.

PPGMD
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Be interested to see what they say.

I am including a link to this thread, so they know that I am not the only one complaining.

Oh I forget to mention that the 200 I had left was simply out of the boxes I opened. I still have a 500 round box, from the same 1,500 round order, sealed in my garage, I might break that open and gauge that.

jdw174
10-08-2013, 07:20 AM
I bought 500 rounds of their Blaster ammo earlier this year. Give as they were "blemished", I took every one and used the chamber of my Glock as a gauge, dropping every round in and dumping it out. Out of the 500 rounds I had one that wouldn't drop but halfway in. Examination showed the case was split at the mouth. The other 499 rounds chambered and fired without incident. I have 500 rounds of their new mfg setting here that I have yet to shoot. I perform the chamber-check with all reman ammo before going to the range. I didn't find Freedom's ammo to be any dirtier than any other factory ammo and it shot well. Right now I'm going thru 2K rounds of 124gr 9mm from Great Lakes Ammo and it gets the same check. So far it's been fine ammo.

PPGMD
10-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I gauged another 500 rounds from the same order, I got 17 that wouldn't go flush in the gauge with just finger pressure. And a bunch more that wouldn't extract out of the gauge without something pressing it out.

justintime
10-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Can you elaborate what kind of issues this can create? Out of all the rounds I have used from them I have not tried this test so I am curious.

Ray Keith
10-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I saw some of this stuff tonight for the first time working drills at an indoor range. It was .40 cal. Huge muzzle flash, smoke and loud as hell. He said it was .25/round, perhaps it just isn't great indoor ammo.

Default.mp3
10-09-2013, 10:44 PM
9mm round nose 115 gr. Blaster (their blemished reloaded line):
http://i.imgur.com/5EykYZO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6SYIqqv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yx7xaBc.jpg
Basically, the bullet went into the casing crooked, thus bulging the casing and smushing the top of the bullet. Other 99 rounds I fired today worked fine.

PPGMD
10-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Can you elaborate what kind of issues this can create? Out of all the rounds I have used from them I have not tried this test so I am curious.

They won't go into the chamber all the way, which I think might have caused my light strikes in an otherwise reliable gun.

Anyways I am going to the range tomorrow with 200 rounds of the Freedom Munitions that gauged correctly, along with 100 rounds of reloaded Atlanta Arms and Ammo (who IMO are one of the best in the business, their customer service is certainly top notch) 147gr minor loads.

PPGMD
10-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Just got back from the range.

I shot 200 rounds of the Freedom Munitions ammo in that batch that gauged correctly, and the only issue was a failure to feed when it didn't pick up the round. I think that was due to the magazine being dirty, as I don't clean my range magazines until they give me issues or it gets dropped in the mud. Which means that these likely haven't been cleaned ever.

So it is my opinion that the issues that I was having last weekend was likely due to the rounds that were improperly loaded.

bigtimelarry
10-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Their Ammo is good but they ship it with No bubble pack or peanuts and a couple boxes were smashed and a few
rounds that were on the corner of the tray inside the box and the bullet got pushed. They go through all the trouble and
zillion dollar machinery to make great ammo and then they dont spend 10 cents more to make sure it packed correctly
for the way UPS & Fedex tosses boxes around. Very Frustrating they dont use common sense..

HopetonBrown
10-13-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't remember ever receiving ammo bubble wrapped from cabelas, midway, palmetto state, selway, SG ammo, etc. I do remember a box with packing peanuts but they were smashed flat and useless.

PPGMD
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Got my replacement boxes today (they sent four). I haven't had a chance to check it as I picked it up from my mailbox on the way to the airport.