PDA

View Full Version : NTAC holsters?

fuse
05-06-2011, 05:29 PM
going to run over to Nova Armament (http://www.novaarmament.com) tomorrow to check out the NTAC holsters they stock. may pick one up for the glock if it stikes my fancy.

looks to be a pretty decent raven-esque copy. and slightly cheaper. and available now.

anyone have any experience with them?

http://ntacholsters.com/store/Default.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKV0Q3yYuRU&feature=channel_video_title

orionz06
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I think the rear is curved too much. The result is less pull on the grip of the gun. You can see this in the pics when the grip sticks way out.

fuse
05-07-2011, 01:13 AM
I think the rear is curved too much. The result is less pull on the grip of the gun. You can see this in the pics when the grip sticks way out.

So you've used them?

orionz06
05-07-2011, 06:22 AM
No, I have not used them, this was an observation from my experiences with other holsters made the same way.

Jay Cunningham
05-07-2011, 06:26 AM
orionz06 has some experience building kydex holsters (he's pretty good at it) so while he doesn't have first-hand experience with the NTAC, I think he's qualified to give an initial opinion from what he is seeing.

orionz06
05-07-2011, 06:46 AM
orionz06 has some experience building kydex holsters (he's pretty good at it) so while he doesn't have first-hand experience with the NTAC, I think he's qualified to give an initial opinion from what he is seeing.

Thanks!

To elaborate a little more, what will happen is when the holster is contoured on both the front and rear it looks nice in pictures and video. In this particular video, the leather holster showed the best concealment, even over the NTAC. From the front it was fine, from the rear you can see the light between the body and the woman demonstrating.

Consider times 5:50, 5:56, 6:12, 6:17, and 6:36, you should be able to see what I am talking about.

All this being said, if I were in the OP's position I would buy the NTAC today and straighten the rear and be done without any wait.

Super J
05-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Where is the video?

Thanks!

To elaborate a little more, what will happen is when the holster is contoured on both the front and rear it looks nice in pictures and video. In this particular video, the leather holster showed the best concealment, even over the NTAC. From the front it was fine, from the rear you can see the light between the body and the woman demonstrating.

Consider times 5:50, 5:56, 6:12, 6:17, and 6:36, you should be able to see what I am talking about.

All this being said, if I were in the OP's position I would buy the NTAC today and straighten the rear and be done without any wait.

orionz06
05-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Where is the video?

top of this page

fuse
05-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Cool cool, I did not know that.

I'll be trying one of these out in a couple hours, anyway.

fuse
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks!

Interesting. Still not sure what is meant by straightening the rear, or how I'd go about doing it, but perhaps I'll find out soon enough.

orionz06
05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
The front and rear loops are both curved inward towards the body (hip). By curving the rear loop inward as much as they have the tail of the grip is pulled in far less than with the leather holster. The result is a holster that will be very sensitive to body type and carry location. For the woman in the video, the only holster that would have worked to conceal a gun was the leather one.

fuse
05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
ah, ok I see.

you think I could perhaps change it if I didn't like it?

orionz06
05-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Yup, 30 seconds with a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight will do the trick.