PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for drills for new-ish shooters?

Nephrology
06-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

I am taking out two friends to the range next weekend. I've taken both of these individuals before to the range a few times before and they are both superb shots for their level of experience, and both seem keenly interested in the skill aspect of shooting pistols. For this reason I was hoping to spend our time there doing some simple drills that will be within their level of capability and comfort but also be engaging and challenging. For example, I've had success with one of them in using the numbered 1-6 targets shared here by ToddG; usually I'll give them a pistol loaded with 10 rds and call out numbers at random for them to engage. Easily within her level of skill/comfort but challenging enough that she starts out doing not so well and finishes the day having improved.

Any other ideas of potential drills aimed at that level of proficiency? I was considering working in off the belt reloads, but I think that might be a bit too complicated for a range as public as the one we use and I have some concerns about them breaking the 180. Any other simple things to make the event challenging and that builds relevant skillsets without pushing them beyond their level of experience?

cutter
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Put them on a timer. I find that my friends like running modified Mozambique, Vice presidente and Bill drills. None from a holster. To keep it a learning event I make sure that I explain what the purpose is behind each drill.

Nephrology
06-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Put them on a timer. I find that my friends like running modified Mozambique, Vice presidente and Bill drills. None from a holster. To keep it a learning event I make sure that I explain what the purpose is behind each drill.

Unfortunately I will not have access to a shot timer, as sacrilegious as that sounds...

JSGlock34
06-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately I will not have access to a shot timer, as sacrilegious as that sounds...

Will someone have a smart phone? Try using the Surefire Shot Timer app? I've had mixed results but it might work well enough for this.

Al T.
06-25-2013, 08:15 PM
tagged

Nephrology
06-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Will someone have a smart phone? Try using the Surefire Shot Timer app? I've had mixed results but it might work well enough for this.

yes, I think they each have smartphones. I could also just use a stopwatch. This is hardly a sanctioned match, I think me timing from first to last shot with a cheap stopwatch is probably sufficient for my purposes. I will be "RSO"ing them for their "stages" as it were, so I can probably manage a good facsimile.

ToddG
06-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Easiest way to turn "brand new shooter" into "lifelong shooter" is to:

emphasize safety
don't go crazy trying to turn them into bullseye shooters in terms of fundamentals
provide big, easy to hit targets that do something (fall down, explode, make noise, pop, whatever)

Buy a 24-pack of el cheapo store brand water bottles. See who can hit it the farthest away. See who can hit three of them the fastest.

Intros should be fun first and foremost. If someone asks you how for more detail on the sights, trigger press, grip, whatever then give it to them but keep in mind a beginner is still a beginner. I watch NRA Certified Instructors giving private lessons all the time and it's absolutely depressing how many of them spend fifteen minutes working on sight alignment with someone who is visibly changing from enthusiastic to bored to frustrated right before their eyes.

Nephrology
06-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Easiest way to turn "brand new shooter" into "lifelong shooter" is to:

emphasize safety
don't go crazy trying to turn them into bullseye shooters in terms of fundamentals
provide big, easy to hit targets that do something (fall down, explode, make noise, pop, whatever)

Buy a 24-pack of el cheapo store brand water bottles. See who can hit it the farthest away. See who can hit three of them the fastest.

Intros should be fun first and foremost. If someone asks you how for more detail on the sights, trigger press, grip, whatever then give it to them but keep in mind a beginner is still a beginner. I watch NRA Certified Instructors giving private lessons all the time and it's absolutely depressing how many of them spend fifteen minutes working on sight alignment with someone who is visibly changing from enthusiastic to bored to frustrated right before their eyes.

Hey Todd,

These 2 shooters in particular have come out with me more than once before, and they are both actually pretty skilled, all things considered. They are both capable of keeping their shots (glock 17) on a 3x5 index card at 7 yards while shooting at a deliberate pace, and both of them are comfortable with firearms. I wouldn't be asking for drills if they were totally green. One of the two, for example, has been quite successful shooting your numbered circles target on command (i.e. I call a number, she shoots it). Of course I'd start easy, and (Beyond safety of course) fun would be the primary goal of the afternoon. I thought I'd throw in some simple drills, though, because it's fun to shoot under a little bit of pressure and I've seen both of them really enjoy the "challenge" aspect of shooting in particular.

Also, unfortunately, at this particular range, reactive targets are a no-gun. Has to be paper.

ToddG
06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Man vs man is a great way to motivate folks if the range will allow that.

Otherwise, maybe just introduce them to some common "standards" like Mozambique, Bill Drill, and the like. I find that giving people some sense of connection between what they're doing and the storied history of our community.

Nephrology
06-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Man vs man is a great way to motivate folks if the range will allow that.

Otherwise, maybe just introduce them to some common "standards" like Mozambique, Bill Drill, and the like. I find that giving people some sense of connection between what they're doing and the storied history of our community.

Awesome - great idea!