PDA

View Full Version : Smith 18

NETim
06-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Braved the bugs at the range for a few hours of rim fire action yesterday afternoon. The Smith 15-22, the .22/45, the Wilson conv kit for the CQB's and the Smith 18 all went along for the ride.

The more I shoot the little 18 the deeper the love affair grows. There's just something about rolling through that DA action on a steel plate rack. :). I got it as an understudy for the "big guns" but now it's more become the center stage act.

It requires a little more attention maintenance-wise than the utilitarian Ruger 22/45 but what doesn't? (A cinder block requires more attention than does your typical Ruger .22). :)

ACP230
06-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Haven't shot mine in a while. Should do something about that.

I got mine as an understudy/DA practice gun too. It works very well in that role.
Would be a fine small game gun too but, for some reason, I have never used it that way.

1986s4
06-24-2013, 08:14 AM
I've had a M18 since I was 20. Now I am solidly in middle age. It has put 10's of thousands of rounds down range with great accuracy. Lately been used for steel challenge. I am convinced that my early work with the DA stroke of this revolver is the reason I can do good work with DA/SA autos.

taadski
06-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm a fan of the Combat Masterpieces too. I own a Model 15 and would love to find a model 18 to pair it with. I agree that you really can't beat a .22 revolver for developing good mechanics. I have a 617 that is probably my favorite handgun and it has likely seen more rounds down range over the years than any other pistol I own. It was an awesome investment.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Rimfirethread.jpg

Here's an (admittedly poor) pic of the 15 with an older model 63 I bought as a gift for my Dad.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Lightfighter/IMG00066.jpg

t

David Armstrong
06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Another lover of the Mdl 18 here. Had one for over 30 years, and it is still one of my favorites to dig out of the safe for a fun shoot. It has helped dozens of folks, possible hundreds, get their CCW here in Louisiana. Blue's half worn off and the grips are dark but it keeps on shooting!

walkin' trails
06-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I've had one sine the mid 80s. I had a trigger job performed in the early 90s. It still shoots great. My kids are starting to grow into it. I started them on my Model 34.